Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I believe that alot of the information circulating about microchips is in reaction to legislation proposed a few years ago that would have required all livestock in the U.S. to be microchipped thus enabling USDA to trace tainted meat back to a specific animial or herd. No surpise that the cattle industry, for one, was opposed, claiming that the cost/benefit ratio of microchipping every cow, sheep, goat, lamb, etc. would be a big negative. And who, pray tell, from USDA had the time to be chasing cows to scan for microchips. Unfortunately, rather than oppose the legislation with sensible arguments they hired "experts" to dig up data supporting a claim that all animals with microchips are going to get cancer. I have no personal knowledge of any dog getting any kind of tumor or cancer as a result of having a microchip. My personal experience with microchips -- 8 dogs over 10+ years -- has been cancer free for which I am very thankful. I will continue to microchip until I have a more solid reason not to.

MaryH

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I didn't read the article yet, so I can't comment on it. However, when I got Toby as a puppy, I thought about having him microchopped, but I had this overwhelming gut reaction (that is the best way I can describe it) to not have him microchipped. I still stand by that decision now.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I haven't gotten Leila microchipped either. I thought I read something somewhere about the chip possibly "wandering" around under the skin over time, and the idea of that creeped me out a little. Plus, Leila would most certainly never be in the position to be 'lost', so the only remotely possible (terrifying) option is that she would be stolen, in which case they clearly wouldn't be taking her in to be scanned for her chip.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I haven't gotten Leila microchipped either. I thought I read something somewhere about the chip possibly "wandering" around under the skin over time, and the idea of that creeped me out a little. Plus, Leila would most certainly never be in the position to be 'lost', so the only remotely possible (terrifying) option is that she would be stolen, in which case they clearly wouldn't be taking her in to be scanned for her chip.
I agree! It feels like Bisou's chip has moved over time, I'm not sure if I"m just imagining it or if it really has.

Honestly, If I hadn't been required to by law (both local city and quarantine/importation laws) and wasn't traveling internationally with her, I wouldn't have had one either.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
A microchip is still the best way to insure that your dog is returned to you if it is lost or stolen. Routine Vet care will detect problems with a microchip early.

Everyone needs to make their own choice but remember that over the years there have been many things that "caused cancer" (cell phones, microwaves etc) that are widely used to this day. Human beings have implants of many different types (artificial joints, pins, rods, pacemakers, etc) and those have not been show to cause cancer, why would a microchip?

I believe that there are alarmists out there that will link anything to cancer.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I think its am important part of what I can do for my pets to prove their ownership and identity. No one likes to think that their dog will ever get separated from them but as with many things in life, sh*t happens.

Groomers/ doggie daycaes make mistakes and give the wrong people the wrong dogs, dogs get stolen from dog show sites, dogs slip collars or squeeze thru fences, dogs are involved in car accidents where their owners are whisked off to the hospital and they are either lost wandering or they are taken to "animal control"., dogs get away from their owners everyday in millions of ways......each unique each not expected.

Anyone that thinks they can not every be separated from their animal is in denial........because it can happen to anyone.

Picture this: You are going to the vet, you are a responsible owner, you put your pet in a crate in your car or a carseat and harness, and off you go..........you are going to the vets office. Suddenly out of no where another driver is having a heart attack his leg pressed down on his acclerator and he broadsides you at a high rate of speed, you are knocked out, your car is damaged and your dog is rattled but ok.......the ambulance comes they take you (unconscious) to the medical center (or maybe in a helicopter) and the police take your dog to animal control. OR If the crate was damaged your dog may be in some neighborhood.......wandering, found a few days later........filthy, sent to animal control and a "stray" if their is no collar/ ID/ microchip. The dog is dirty and matted and can not speak for its self. All stray dogs are owned by someone.

If you are really worried about micro chipping maybe a tatoo would be an answer but don't fail to keep your animals identified.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
A microchip is still the best way to insure that your dog is returned to you if it is lost or stolen. Routine Vet care will detect problems with a microchip early.

Everyone needs to make their own choice but remember that over the years there have been many things that "caused cancer" (cell phones, microwaves etc) that are widely used to this day. Human beings have implants of many different types (artificial joints, pins, rods, pacemakers, etc) and those have not been show to cause cancer, why would a microchip?

Good point.

It is good for your dog to be identifiable...but I woudn't give a tattoo because I would think that would be extremely painful?

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Good point.

It is good for your dog to be identifiable...but I woudn't give a tattoo because I would think that would be extremely painful?

A tattoo is not as traceable. Sophie came with a tattoo but it is difficult to read and not traceable through any central organization like a micro chip is.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

Again, it all depends on your perspective, and how much research you have personally done on the causes of cancer to arrive at your viewpoint. From your perspective, (and I assume you've done your homework on this, read info from both sides of the spectrum, then made up your mind) you might or might not conclude that cell phone and microwaves are probably safe or worth the risk vs. benefits. From my perspective, the results of studies are inconclusive. So I choose to have a cell phone for the benefits and I'll take that risk, but I also choose not to have a microwave because I can easily live without one.

I choose to give Nikki heartworm meds, although I am not into medications. but because the risk is high in my area, she gets heartworm meds. I have not chipped her for several reasons because for me, it isn't worth the risk vs. the benefits. I know that my opinion is in the minority - that's cool, I know that no one is criticizing me.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I think its am important part of what I can do for my pets to prove their ownership and identity. No one likes to think that their dog will ever get separated from them but as with many things in life, sh*t happens.

Groomers/ doggie daycaes make mistakes and give the wrong people the wrong dogs, dogs get stolen from dog show sites, dogs slip collars or squeeze thru fences, dogs are involved in car accidents where their owners are whisked off to the hospital and they are either lost wandering or they are taken to "animal control"., dogs get away from their owners everyday in millions of ways......each unique each not expected.

Anyone that thinks they can not every be separated from their animal is in denial........because it can happen to anyone.

Picture this: You are going to the vet, you are a responsible owner, you put your pet in a crate in your car or a carseat and harness, and off you go..........you are going to the vets office. Suddenly out of no where another driver is having a heart attack his leg pressed down on his acclerator and he broadsides you at a high rate of speed, you are knocked out, your car is damaged and your dog is rattled but ok.......the ambulance comes they take you (unconscious) to the medical center (or maybe in a helicopter) and the police take your dog to animal control. OR If the crate was damaged your dog may be in some neighborhood.......wandering, found a few days later........filthy, sent to animal control and a "stray" if their is no collar/ ID/ microchip. The dog is dirty and matted and can not speak for its self. All stray dogs are owned by someone.

If you are really worried about micro chipping maybe a tatoo would be an answer but don't fail to keep your animals identified.
Yes, of course, there are scary scenarios we can discuss on how you can lose your Malt. If in an accident, the police/hospital will try and find my emergency contact info, either in my phone, or my glove box, or my wallet (all have instructions about my dog, btw) Then they will call my husband/friend/sister to tell them about the accident. My husband/friend sister will then retrieve my dog, and take care of it for me.

Life has risks. Some things are out of our control. Even if you have the best insurance, take all the best precautions, chip your dog, etc., stuff happens. Thieves could steal your chipped dog from you when you let it out to pee, and keep the dog for themselves and your chip is a non-issue to them.

For me, that's where faith comes in. I make my informed decisions, do the best I can, and then I leave the rest up to God. So far, he hasn't let me down.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts