Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lily is 1.5 years Maltese. She has never had a reaction to a vaccine a d she has never showed any signs of having allergies. She went to the vet Wednesday afternoons do got a rabies vaccine and seemed fine after. Thursday she was lethargic which is not unusual for her after a vaccine. Friday she woke up with her nose completely clogged, with clear fluid dripping from it. I took her to the vet to have her checked out. The vet was not concerned because Lily had no fever, ate a bit of wet food for her and did not have diarrhea. So great, I thought nothing to worry about... Well Friday evening she started to get stuffed up again and wheezed from her nose and panted all night long. I stayed awake with her, I was so worried. When I got her up in the morning the wheezing subsided and she ate and drank a little bit for me. I was going to take her back to the vet but but is resting now and seems ok, only wheezing a little. Has anyone experienced this? Does this sound like a cold? An allergic reaction to the vaccine? Should I give her Benadryl? She's very little 4.5 lbs, I worry about her exhausting herself with labored breathing.

·
Premium Member
9,508 Posts
I have heard of reactions but not congestion. I am not sure what to tell you. I would call the vet before giving anything. I wonder if it could be coincidental. We had a sudden warm up Thursday and Friday here - who knows what that woke up. Good luck . Let us know how she's doing .

·
Premium Member
17,220 Posts
She may have picked up something at the vet's office? Has she had all of her shots already? It doesn't sound like a rabies reaction.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i thought she may have picked something up at the vets too. She doesn't get out around other dogs much but I did take her to a new groomer 2 weeks ago. Maybe she was fighting something she caught there and her immunity down from the vaccine, it surfaced. I'm stumped.
And yes, she is up to date on all her shots.

·
Premium Member
17,220 Posts
I was thinking. Are you sure she did not get a Bordetella vaccine too? It would be a nasal spray.
Actually there is also injection for Bordetella also:
Kennel cough vaccines come in three forms; those administered as an injection under the skin, those given intranasally (directly into the nostrils), and a recently released vaccine that is administered orally.

Sometimes it is together w/parainfluenza. So it may be worth checking w/the vet. Good call Walter!

·
Super Moderator
10,113 Posts
Walter read my mind. The bordatella vaccine can be spray or injection and can have a reaction similar to what you're seeing. There's a lot of controversy about that vaccine, so you may want to search this forum if that's what she got along with the rabies.

The other possibility is that she picked up something from the new groomer. Incubation for respiratory infections is usually 10 days to 2 weeks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lily went back to the vet today. I double checked, she was given only the rabies vaccine. Vet does not think it has anything to do with vaccine either, she suggested benedryl to clear up stuffy nose, could be an allergy. Lungs sound clear so no major respiratory illness thank goodness.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
17,220 Posts
Great news. Get better soon little Lily!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts