Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this lady came into petsmart saying that she wanted to breed her female maltese. and i was like 'just watch out for puppymill dogs' and she was like 'oh...she is from a puppymill' and i was like 'well, then you dont want to breed her. trust me, my dogs are from a puppymill and need the knee surgery and have bad teeth...".

and then i asked her where she got her malt--and it was from the same lady that i got sprite and ellie!

i basically told her that her dog MUST have luxating patella because the knee popped whenever i bent it...and that its $1500 to fix....but did she care??

no, she still wants to breed her.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
It's people like that who make my blood boil
sadly there are just so many out there just like her and they will go on breeding and selling sick puppies to unsuspecting people, and most of the puppies will probably end up in rescue homes. Grrrrrrrrrrr that makes me so mad

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I have always thought that some sort of license should be required before anyone is allowed to breed a cat or dog. I get so angry at these people who breed their pet with no regard for genetics and what they may produce.

Is she stupid? Maybe, maybe not. She is definatey selfish.

The last time Lady had 3 days of cluster seizures, as I held her in my arms and rocked her, I wished that I'd had a video camera to tape the whole ordeal. It was horrible to go through.

I think anyone thinking of breeding their puppy mill dog should be forced to watch a tape of the possible result of their selfishness.

Where are these so-called breeders when there are problems like my Lady has?

Long gone.....

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was sooo obvious that she was definitely ignorant. like the word 'puppy mill' didnt even phase her. she was like "oh, yeah...my dog is from a puppymill". as though it wasnt a bad thing. ugh.

and i agree...if they had to have a license...that'd be soo great. and i have a few friends that are talking about getting a dog and i tell them to just go to the shelter.

and you know whats so upsetting?? that Rainbow Rescue goes to Petsmart once a month...and their dogs are like $300. when someone can drive 10 min to the shelter and spend $60.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Oct 27 2005, 06:06 PM
it was sooo obvious that she was definitely ignorant.  like the word 'puppy mill' didnt even phase her.  she was like "oh, yeah...my dog is from a puppymill".  as though it wasnt a bad thing.  ugh.

and i agree...if they had to have a license...that'd be soo great.  and i have a few friends that are talking about getting a dog and i tell them to just go to the shelter. 

and you know whats so upsetting??  that Rainbow Rescue goes to Petsmart once a month...and their dogs are like $300.  when someone can drive 10 min to the shelter and spend $60.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114056
[/QUOTE]
I don't know what Rainbow Rescue is like but our rescue group tries to be reasonable on our adoption fees. We are lucky though that we get a lot of donations and have a vet that practically does our spay/neuter surgeries for free. Some group have to foot the bill from their own pockets and one case of heartworms can put them deep in the hole. I have seen some groups that charge $400 plus for their dogs. That's way too much! Most people would turn to a backyard breeder before getting a rescue dog......especially one with problems.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Oct 27 2005, 05:57 AM
I have always thought that some sort of license should be required before anyone is allowed to breed a cat or dog. I get so angry at these people who breed their pet with no regard for genetics and what they may produce.

Is she stupid? Maybe, maybe not. She is definatey selfish.

The last time Lady had 3 days of cluster seizures, as I held her in my arms and rocked her, I wished that I'd had a video camera to tape the whole ordeal. It was horrible to go through.

I think anyone thinking of breeding their puppy mill dog should be forced to watch a tape of the possible result of their selfishness.

Where are these so-called breeders when there are problems like my Lady has?

Long gone.....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113889
[/QUOTE]
Oh Marj, I'm so sorry. Bless you for taking such good care of Lady. I agree with you, there just isn't anything BAD enough for these people. The way people raise chickens is bad enough, but little dogs are sensitive little souls that truly suffer in those mills and even after, like Lady.

There's an ad in our paper that appears every few weeks with the same phone # always advertising tiny mixed breed puppies. Malt/yorkies, Malt/papillions, etc. Every time I see it I want to call them up and find out where they are and try to put a stop to it somehow. But how? It's got to be a mill. They have so many and so often, and if I went out there and saw those dogs I would be sick for days. So I try not to think about it and feel guilty!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts