Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like an idiot asking this -- but how can you tell if your fluff is spayed?

Bonnie told me that Secret was spayed. I know that her last litter was a little over 2 years ago when she had Ava.

I've looked for her scar but haven't found one. But, I can't find Tilly's scar either and she's definitely been spayed -- I took her myself, but my Vet does such a wonderful job with the surgical glue and internal sutures that I've never even seen Tilly's scar.

Besides having a fluff xrayed or ultra sounded (or, of course, just waiting to see if she comes into season), is there another way to tell if she has, in fact, been spayed?

I'll talk with Bonnie as I'm sure that she told me that she's had Secret spayed -- so I'm sure that she has, but I'm just curious if there's a way to tell.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Lynn, i'm not sure beside the obvious if there is a scar. I just checked Chloe and Noelle and neither one of them have scars, so i'm not really sure. Maybe you can call the vet and ask them if there is another way to tell.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm surprised Bonnie didn't give you Secret's medical records- I would probably call and ask her for them. Also, I do have the name of her vet if you're interested- you can pm me for his info if you want it.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jocelyn -- I know her vet. In fact, I used him when I lived in South Florida. Small world.

And -- after putting on my magnifying glasses (yes, I'm getting old-ER), I found the tiny scar. And I do mean TINY.

Bonnie did send Secret's records, but they didn't mention a spay. Go figure.

Anyway -- thanks for the help. Except, I'm still kind of curious if they're another way to tell.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Jocelyn -- I know her vet. In fact, I used him when I lived in South Florida. Small world.

And -- after putting on my magnifying glasses (yes, I'm getting old-ER), I found the tiny scar. And I do mean TINY.

Bonnie did send Secret's records, but they didn't mention a spay. Go figure.

Anyway -- thanks for the help. Except, I'm still kind of curious if they're another way to tell.
Since you know the vet, I would call and ask him. If she were spayed, it definitely should be in her medical records.

I have had cats and dogs spayed for years and never been able to find a scar. When I adopted Lady she was supposed to have been spayed, but neither my vet or I could tell just by looking at her belly.

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
Ususally you can feel that little ridge inside if you palpate. None of mine have a scar either.
One of the dogs we had at the shelter that we couldn't feel it ,the vet couldn't feell it either,he found it when he began the spay. So on rare occations even a vet will miss it,so don't feel bad.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Truffles scar is completely invisable. Lola's I can see ever so slightly. So, I'm not sure other than the medical records, or have a vet check her.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
even a scar isn't 100% as it could be from any abdominal surgery, including c-sections, exploratory surgery, etc

Lacy has very visible scars but she was opened up three times. Once when she was spayed, then she had to be reopened and restitched a few days later because her internal stitches tore, and them almost two years ago she had a liver biopsy. So it's easy to see and feel where she was cut open

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
even a scar isn't 100% as it could be from any abdominal surgery, including c-sections, exploratory surgery, etc

Lacy has very visible scars but she was opened up three times. Once when she was spayed, then she had to be reopened and restitched a few days later because her internal stitches tore, and them almost two years ago she had a liver biopsy. So it's easy to see and feel where she was cut open
That's a good point. Secret could have had a c-section.

I hope you get it figured out. The last thing you need is to have Secret come into heat while you are in California getting your surgery and treatments!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Lynn, the only for sure way that I know of is to have an ultrasound done. Rescue groups and many shelters who pick up stray females have an ultrasound done rather than leaving it to chance or doing an unnecessary surgery. It's money well spent in the long run.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
My friend adopted a rescue. The rescue group said she could pick up the dog after the spay. Low and behold, the vet opened up the dog only to find out she had already been spayed. Now that is one vet I hope I never have to use.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
My friend adopted a rescue. The rescue group said she could pick up the dog after the spay. Low and behold, the vet opened up the dog only to find out she had already been spayed. Now that is one vet I hope I never have to use.
There is no way for a vet, shelter or rescue group to know without an ultrasound whether or not a female has already been spayed. Unfortunately, for many rescue groups it comes down to time and money. Not every vet has an ultrasound machine, and in those cases it's quicker and less expensive to assume the dog has not been spayed and do the surgery rather than take the time to go to another vet clinic (that may or may not offer discounted rates for rescue) and pay for the ultrasound. My concern would be with the rescue group in this case, not the vet, for not spending the time and/or money to get an ultrasound done first.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Oh goodness, I've received many, through the shelters, who were spayed, yet my vet felt, said "nope" not spayed. Edie, and I, have the shelter papers, stating they ARE spayed, yet were NOT.

My Tommy (weird leg boy) came from the shelter, as "neutered". WRONG!

His little balls never dropped. My vet also felt those. They were retained.

My vet has caught all of the mistakes, as far as spay/neuter goes.

And nope, for those of you thinking otherwise, my vet is not making a profit, as he is against the same crap I am, and charges next to nothing. Ask Edie.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts