Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Abbey rings the bell (which is now a Maltese windchime, hung low enough for her to ring with her nose).
We started by taking Abbey's paw and ringing the bell everytime before we took her out to go potty (she was about 14 weeks old). She went through a period where she fiqured out ringing the bell meant playing outside so she began ringing the bell non-stop. I took her out each time she rang it but only gave her enough time for potty and if she didn't go, we came back in. She soon fiqured out it wasn't for playtime! Good Luck!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I made a post a while back on the steps We used to teach our minpin Shiner.
Let me see if I can find the post.

Found it

Shiner our min pin is bell trained. It was very easy since he is very smart. We did as the others before me said. comanded him him to paw at the bell before we let him out. We first taught him the touch command.

First get the bell and set on the floor and ask them to touch and point to it. (we say get that bell)

then reward when they touch it with nose or paw anything. (it may help to rub hotdog or a treat on the bell and they will naturaly go to smell it then you reward.

After they get the touch command move it up to the door and ask for the command then take them out.

You have to be consistant and ask for the command everytime before they go out.
they will pick it up that they have to ring it to get to go out.

The only bad thing is Shiner will ring it when he wants to go out and play or if he hears something and he want to go bark. We have ignored his request before and he just keeps ringing harder and harder. Plus ours is loud and we can hear it all through the house.

I hope this helps it has worked great for us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Originally posted by ebonyqueen3@Nov 1 2005, 07:41 AM
has anyone had any luck?  we are considering doing this with our maltese. 

Please share your secrets.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=115579
[/QUOTE]
Lilly learned the bell pretty quickly. I put a string of bells by the door, at first she hated them. Then I attached a treat to the same string. She had to ring the heck out of those bells to get that treat then I opened the door and out she went. We did it that way for the first day, the next day she would ring the bells then I'd give her a treat and she'd go out. By the third day she would ring to go out with no treat. She seems to be pretty excited to be in control of something, it's one of the few things she can make me do. She rings and I come running
At 1 year old she occasionaly has accidents in the house and I still remind her to go out if she hasn't rang the bell in a couple of hours. I tell her go ring your bell she does and out we go. I look forward to the day that she will always go ring it by herself. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I use bells for Maci and so does my sister (zsazsasmom)

We just tied a few jingle bells to yarn and hung them from the door and when we would take them out potty we would ring the bells and say "Outside"

It has worked great.Maci is almost 5months old (turns 5months on Thanksgiving) and ZsaZsa is a year old.

That lil stinker Maci will also ring them like crazy if she wants all of our attention l :lol:

·
Registered
363 Posts
The first time I tried to bell train (actually small chimes hung on the doorknob) Jack, about 5 months, he was afraid and would not go near the door. I took them down for approximately 2 months and tried again. Within a few days, he was bell ringing like crazy. But we did like the others said, took him to the door and took his paw and rang the bell and then went out. He does have some poop accidents in the house, but he has never peed in the house for about a year now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts