Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again everybody. I hope all is well with everyone and their Malties in these days with the pandemic going on. I haven’t been on the board lately as I’ve been working some overtime at my job as a nurse. But enough about that.
Anyhow, Sugarplum did something this past Saturday morning that I didn’t expect at all, and it was kind of a good thing. In the past, I’ve seen Maltese and other similar breeds bark and alert their owners when someone was approaching the home, welcome or not. Sugarplum did just that, and she’s never done that before! And that’s a natural thing for a dog to do. I didn’t think she would know to do that because she didn’t live a normal life living in a puppy mill, and she hasn’t been around any other (pet) dogs to teach her to do this.
This is what happened: I live in a 2 story condo, and my bedroom is above the garage with a flat top roof. Well, there was a maintenance man doing some exterior work, and Sugarplum began to bark a loud, crisp bark with an “on guard” type of demeanor and look on her face! I couldn’t believe it! She’s never done this before because the living room window isn’t near the door or mailbox, and the back part of the sofa is pretty high, so it’s difficult for her to see the mail carrier or UPS delivery man, or anyone else approaching the door. And the sound of her bark, it was so loud and clear! Before she had her major dental work done, she barked very infrequently, and it was quiet, weak, and pathetic sounding. I just can’t believe how far she has come! Sorry this post is so long and I apologize if I’m boring everyone to death but I’m just so ecstatic! (Or in this case my long post might give you more to do if you’re bored staying home in this pandemic). Be safe everyone.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That is so exciting!! Congrats on this great milestone and I cant wait to hear about more. Hugs to you and Sugarplum.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
First THANK YOU so much for your long hours and sacrifice of being a nurse during this busy time. Please stay safe.
I am so happy to read your update post on how well Sugarplum is doing. Both of you have been on my mind and in my thoughts lately. I have been wondering how you two are doing.
Thank you for the encouraging good news - Keep up the good work - Please keep us updated to more milestones and of coarse we always love pictures! Hugs. 🐶 🐾

Reactions: edelweiss

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
What wonderful news🤗 Sugarplum is soooo special, she was meant to be with you
I love hearing how she is doing, now we need pictures just sayin🙄
Like Paulann said please take care of yourself, we need you

·
Premium Member
17,469 Posts
I concur w/the others! So happy Sugerplum is doing so well!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again. I work in inpatient psychiatry, and some people falsely believe that I’m at lower risk on coming in contact with the coronavirus. I’m at just as much risk as anyone else, even more so because I must leave my home for work. Yes, we do have screenings, protocols, policies and procedures in place, but in this patient population (as well as in prison; I’ve also worked in corrections) I have never seen more patients with herpes and hepatitis C. If they’re able to contract that as a result of the irresponsible, risky, reckless behavior they engage in, they can contract the coronavirus just as easily. Many psychiatric patients are also homeless, which means they have nowhere to go to social distance. They also (as well as many other psychiatric patients) don’t bathe regularly, and hand hygiene is the best line of defense. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, we will get through this.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was planning to post a pic of Sugarplum wearing a pretty dress and bows in her hair once her ears reached the length I want them at, but they don’t seem to grow fast enough! I do have an Easter dress for her, maybe I’ll post her wearing that. I groom her myself, and I bought all of the professional supplies. She needs it now, but last time I groomed her, I swear she was so white and felt as soft as a brand new plush teddy bear, I’m not kidding. And her tear stains HAVE resolved since she had all those bad teeth extracted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts