Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tucker is 17 weeks old now. We got him at 12 weeks, the breeder had him on puppy chow which he loved. I wanted him on a better dog food so I switched him over to Nutro tiny bites.

He is NOT a big eater. Only weighs in at a huge 2.4 lbs. His eating habit has slowed down. Today he ate a total of 1/4 cup of dog food. Yesterday was not much better. I happened to have a Science Diet sample pack and just dumped some in his dish and he ate all of it. Guess now I will be faced with loose stools. He drinks his water and his stools look fine. He was just at the vet a week ago and even though he had only gained 3 oz since his last visit the vet was pleased with the way he looked and felt. I feel now that he has a little too much "rib" feel.

I am at a loss as to what kind of "nutritional" food to give him. Any suggestions?


I sure don't want him losing weight.

Have any of you gone through this? Heck fire, this is the first time I have had a dog that actually CHEWS his food.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Here are a couple premium puppy foods you may want to try. I would stay away from the SD.

Artemis Puppy Food:
Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Pearled Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with Vitamin E, C and Rosemary Extract), Oatmeal, Dried Eggs, Fish Meal, Natural Flavoring, Canola Oil, Flaxseed, Fresh Potatoes, Fresh Carrots, Fresh Peas, Whole Fresh Apples, Cranberries, Dried Chicory Root (Prebiotics), Salt, Potassium Chloride, Lecithin, Garlic, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Dehydrated Kelp, Chelates of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sage Extract, Aspergillus Oryzae Fermantation Soulubles (Digestive Enzyme), Enterococcus Faecium and Lactobacillus Acidophilus(Probiotics)

Innova Puppy Food
Turkey, chicken, chicken meal, barley, brown rice, cottage cheese, tomatoes, hemp oil, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), flaxseed, potatoes, herring, apples, carrots, alfalfa sprouts, eggs, garlic, dicalcium, phosphate, eggs, garlic, dl-alpha tocopherol, sodium ascorbate, chicory root extract, freeze dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, freeze dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, freeze dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, freeze dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, potassium chloride, choline chloride, calcium carbonate, zinc proteninate, iron protenate, carotene, niacin d-calcium pantothenate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, thiamine mononitrate, pryidoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, calcium iodate, biotin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Brink was quite picky...I got him Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul...
So far he eats it well...
Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks you all!!! I got on Petco website in our town and they don't carry Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul. Artemis is not one they have either.

They do have Innova and Royal Canin. I don't know anything about that brand.

Any feed back will be very welcomed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by ConnieVa@Aug 6 2005, 09:14 PM
thanks you all!!!  I got on Petco website in our town and they don't carry Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul.  Artemis is not one they have either.

They do have Innova and Royal Canin.  I don't know anything about that brand. 

Any feed back will be very welcomed.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87867
[/QUOTE]

You generally won't find these types of foods at Petco, PetSmart, etc. They generally sold in specialty pet boutiques, stores that cater to premium pet food, etc. If Petco has Innova then you should get it. It is a great food.

Royal Canin used to be really good but I've heard that it was bought by a large company and they have added cheap fillers, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by ConnieVa@Aug 6 2005, 08:14 PM
thanks you all!!!  I got on Petco website in our town and they don't carry Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul.  Artemis is not one they have either.

They do have Innova and Royal Canin.  I don't know anything about that brand. 

Any feed back will be very welcomed.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87867
[/QUOTE]
Lexi and nikki are on Innova. They like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
My dog is also a very picky eater.. we had her on Innova and now we have her on Wellness. With both brands she doesn't seem to like it much. I think I'm going to try Artemis next..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It amazes me how picky these little guys are. I just hate going through all that weaning them to new food. I try to do it over a 1 or 2 week period so as not to get runny stools.

I am just at a loss as to why he has changed his mind on the Nutro. Needless to say I have nearly a full bag.

From reading all the posts sounds like that is the way a lot of Malts are.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
Well I am thinking it is definately a Malt trait to be picky, Scooby is a shocker and thinks he is a little person. I have tried so many different foods now that I am just going to feed him what he will eat just for peace of mind to know he has had something. He loves any vegies, raw or cooked and fresh meat cooked, but if it has dog written on the label we can just forget it. I have thrown out more than I care to mention. The vet says he is healthy on what he is having and that the fact that he does eat some small amount of kibble along with his natural food then we shouldn't worry too much. We do have to hand feed him though most times and his place to eat is on his daddy's recliner, anywhere else is just not on. We have tried the put food down for half an hour at meal times and if it isn't eaten in that time to remove it, but he just doesn't care. It is a battle of the minds with him and he is so stubborn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by ConnieVa@Aug 6 2005, 08:14 PM
thanks you all!!!  I got on Petco website in our town and they don't carry Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul.  Artemis is not one they have either.

They do have Innova and Royal Canin.  I don't know anything about that brand. 

Any feed back will be very welcomed.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87867
[/QUOTE]


Royal Canin has a holistic blend. I had great ingredients and Brink ate it for awhile...he was done with it by the end of the bag.

If you don't have a place close by to order better foods, try

www.Petfooddirect.com

They carry most the "natural" foods at comparitive prices. They have deals and specials a lot too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot for all your advice. I can feel his ribs but last week at the vets he says he is very healthy. I guess my next step it to try Innova and see if he will eat that.

It helps knowing that other Malt babies are the same picky way.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
For both of mine the pickiness ended when they were several months' old. At first, I had to hand feed, coax and try many brands. Now they are 3 and 1 and they gobble up Newman's Own adult kibble. They are nuts over it.... They did a complete turnaround from when they were puppies... so things are likely to get better for you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Aug 7 2005, 09:31 AM
For both of mine the pickiness ended when they were several months' old. At first, I had to hand feed, coax and try many brands. Now they are 3 and 1 and they gobble up Newman's Own adult kibble. They are nuts over it.... They did a complete turnaround from when they were puppies... so things are likely to get better for you.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87971
[/QUOTE]

Well Scooby is almost 2 now and is just as picky as ever. I think if he had to compete with another of his own kind it may be different I don't know. My problem is hubby, he takes pity on him if he knows Scooby hasn't eaten and shares his food while I am not looking, then wonders why the dog food is rejected. I have even tried feeding Scooby before we have a meal but as soon as he smells our food cooking that is it, so I tried even before I started our meal, but Scooby is not to be outwitted, he holds out because he knows daddy will share with him. I need to train both the males here, it is so hard, but I am not going to worry myself sick over it, as long as Scooby is healthy I can't do any more. What I do now though is to use his kibble as treat food and manage to get him to eat at least a quarter of a cup each day to suppliment his people food diet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
FOOD We've gone thur so many different kinds ,but she won't eat any of it unless I have some meat of some kind in there chicken, hamburger ( which I find puts the wieght on fast and that's the leanest 9%) she love's lamb we eat alot of meat Bar b q's :D and I will boil chicken for her, I always put a tsp of cottage cheese plus the kibble 's. Whats so funny is she won't touch the kibbles any brand if there in her bowl but let her outside and she gobbles up Christy's food which I switched to Chicken soup so I quess she's getting enough,
and believe it or not Summer switches food pretty well never has had loose stools
but she does like ppl food the best :eek: my fault
rigth now she's on Royal Canin seems to like it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went on a search today. No Innova to be found !!!! That's small town USA for you. A near by town carries it so I will go there to get some. In the meantime I found a small one lb bag of Chicken Soup. We gave her some and she gobbled it up like it was a T-Bone Steak.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that he keeps on loving Chicken Soup.

Thanks everyone
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
949 Posts
Originally posted by ConnieVa@Aug 6 2005, 06:56 PM
Tucker is 17 weeks old now.  We got him at 12 weeks, the breeder had him on puppy chow which he loved.  I wanted him on a better dog food so I switched him over to Nutro tiny bites. 

He is NOT a big eater.  Only weighs in at a huge 2.4 lbs.  His eating habit has slowed down.  Today he ate a total of 1/4 cup of dog food.  Yesterday was not much better.  I happened to have a Science Diet sample pack and just dumped some in his dish and he ate all of it.  Guess now I will be faced with loose stools.  He drinks his water and his stools look fine.  He was just at the vet a week ago and even though he had only gained 3 oz since his last visit the vet was pleased with the way he looked and felt.  I feel now that he has a little too much "rib" feel.

I am at a loss as to what kind of "nutritional" food to give him.  Any suggestions?


I sure don't want him losing weight.

Have any of you gone through this?  Heck fire, this is the first time I have had a dog that actually CHEWS his food. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87845
[/QUOTE]Dixie turned into a very picky eater too. i have tried many different kibble formulas. I have had the most success with fromm foods. She loves it! I have found however that she wants variety. I know your not supposed to switch them back and forth, but i switch her dry every few days. She has never had loose stools from switching. as a matter of fact she was a bit too hard before I did this and it is better for her [poop wise]. I figure as long as she is happy and stool is healthy we are fine. I have placed all the foods in heavy zip lock bags with a portion of the label in the bag, then freeze it. i take out a couple cups to defrost,. When that is gone after a couple days I select another from the freezer stash. I also found from reading posts her the Merrick canned puppy plate is a big big hit. My daughter thinks it smells like chicken stew. it really doesnt smell at all like dog food. Dixie loves it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by ConnieVa@Aug 7 2005, 10:38 PM
I went on a search today.  No Innova to be found !!!!  That's small town USA for you.  A near by town carries it so I will go there to get some.  In the meantime I found a small one lb bag of Chicken Soup.  We gave her some and she gobbled it up like it was a T-Bone Steak. 

Lets keep our fingers crossed that he keeps on loving Chicken Soup.

Thanks everyone
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88175
[/QUOTE]


I need to ask about the chicken soup, is it a dog food, or a special human food package? I would love to find something that Scooby would just chow down to rather than our food. This little stinker is just so picky and strong willed and he knows we won't see him go hungry so he just holds out and looks pathetic and of course hubby has to share with him to see him eat something at least. The thing that gets me is he is healthy and not at all thin, he is just right weight wise for his size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo+Aug 8 2005, 10:03 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ConnieVa
@Aug 7 2005, 10:38 PM
I went on a search today.  No Innova to be found !!!!  That's small town USA for you.  A near by town carries it so I will go there to get some.  In the meantime I found a small one lb bag of Chicken Soup.  We gave her some and she gobbled it up like it was a T-Bone Steak. 

Lets keep our fingers crossed that he keeps on loving Chicken Soup.

Thanks everyone
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88175

I need to ask about the chicken soup, is it a dog food, or a special human food package? I would love to find something that Scooby would just chow down to rather than our food. This little stinker is just so picky and strong willed and he knows we won't see him go hungry so he just holds out and looks pathetic and of course hubby has to share with him to see him eat something at least. The thing that gets me is he is healthy and not at all thin, he is just right weight wise for his size.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88251
[/B][/QUOTE]
It is a dog food: Chicken Soup For The Pet Lovers Soul
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Aug 8 2005, 11:08 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 8 2005, 10:03 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-ConnieVa
@Aug 7 2005, 10:38 PM
I went on a search today.  No Innova to be found !!!!  That's small town USA for you.  A near by town carries it so I will go there to get some.  In the meantime I found a small one lb bag of Chicken Soup.  We gave her some and she gobbled it up like it was a T-Bone Steak. 

Lets keep our fingers crossed that he keeps on loving Chicken Soup.

Thanks everyone
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88175



I need to ask about the chicken soup, is it a dog food, or a special human food package? I would love to find something that Scooby would just chow down to rather than our food. This little stinker is just so picky and strong willed and he knows we won't see him go hungry so he just holds out and looks pathetic and of course hubby has to share with him to see him eat something at least. The thing that gets me is he is healthy and not at all thin, he is just right weight wise for his size.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88251

[/QUOTE]
It is a dog food: Chicken Soup For The Pet Lovers Soul
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88252
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you Lexi's Mom, I guess I can try one more attempt at the food with dog in the name. I tell ya I have to say he must read the label when I prepare his food.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Molly really likes the Chicken Soup. I know she's old enough to be eating it dry but when you add a little water and heat it up a tad.... it really does smell delicious! She gobbles it up so I'm happy
The things we do for our babies
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top