Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I read a book years ago "The Sugar Blues" that compared sugar to cocaine. It also explained that sugar, alcohol, and refined graines all break down in the body the same way. When I cut out these in my diet I went through withdraws and in less than a year lost 100 pounds while eating great. I wish I still ate like that but I fell back into old habits, I've been thinking of doing it again.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Heck yeah it's addicting...when I gave up eating sugar, incl processed/white foods, it was HARD HARD HARD and I was cranky as a crackhead on withdrawal lol. :p I also ended up feeling super energized and lost 30 pounds without trying. Little by little I slipped back into eating sugar (a slice of cake at a party here...just a few french fries there)...and before I knew it my addiction is back full swing. I need to join Sugar Anonymous...I'm trying to wean off the stuff again (I think the only thing that works is cold turkey). I should wear a sign around my neck that I am likely to be grumpy for the next coupla weeks :p

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been through that detox myself...

There's a couple of great books by Julia Ross, who used to work with drug addicts and now works with carb addicts.

The Diet Cure
The Mood Cure

Since I've given up all grains/beans/sugars, and started eating fat, I feel like a totally different person and I've lost some weight.

I now have tons of energy, I'm in a great mood, and if my body were in better shape I'd be out mountain climbing or something. Unfortunately years of following "conventional wisdom" and eating a lowfat/high carb diet, (and cheating with sugar) starving myself on Weight Watchers and other similar diets, while dealing with severe depression, has taken its toll in chronic complaints and eventual significant weight gain.

Hopefully my body will catch up to my brain at some point. :)

If you don't think that a little sugar and grain flour (all, even whole grain) can't possibly make a difference in your body and brain, then give it up for a month. You won't even believe how much better you feel.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
I'm a sugar addict and a chocoholic... You know you're a chocoholic when you can smell the residue of chocolate on a glass of hot choc you drank,sitting in the kitchen sink...and you're in the livingroom.... :w00t:I'm so ashamed...:blush:
If explosives we made of chocolate,I could whip the bumm of any bomb sniffing dog!:blink:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
i'm so glad you posted this blog post, suzan! i heard about the study and thought it must be bunk. probably funded by the CORN INDUSTRY, lol! anyway, i couldn't agree with you more about sugar and carbs. i was addicted and LOVED them but i'm feeling so great right now i don't even get tempted to have a plate of pasta or french toast when i make it for my husband. plus i focus on what i CAN eat that i never at before because it was "too fattening": coconut, nuts, butter, bacon.....need i say more??!! :)

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
i am totally addicted to carbs and sugar and having such a hard time with stopping it. i keep telling myself each day and night that i'm going to start eating better so i can feel better and lose weight and then first thing i eat in the morning is sugary cereal. i don't know how to begin and what to eat that't quick and easy. i hate to cook and hate to admit i'm the queen of fast food. i guess i just don't want it bad enough yet.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
I'm also struggling with my diet. I know I need to eat better, and
I know what eating better entails, but I guess I'm not ready to
commit to that yet. I bought the two books recommended above
and I'll read them. Maybe I'll try to kick my sugar/carb addiction
over the summer, so I don't take it out on my class...lol.

Thanks for posting about this topic.
Debbie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts