Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again all, I hope everyone had a happy and safe Fourth of July. I did, for the most part. Sugarplum went on her first vacation since I’ve had her. (For those of you who are not familiar with Sugarplum, she is a puppy mill rescue I adopted just this past December, and she’s made great progress in transforming from a puppy mill dog to a pet dog.) She did very, very well on her first getaway, but not without a couple of setbacks (sigh). I will start off with the setbacks first so that I can end this on a positive note, and there are a lot more positives than negatives.
I visited my parents, who live in a rural area nearly 6 hours away. Sugarplum was GREAT during the ENTIRE drive. Absolutely no problems at all during the drives to and from. The setbacks we experienced was that she didn’t potty on her pads at all (but she still has accidents in my home too) and what was a little more disappointing was that she ate her own💩, twice. I haven’t seen her do that in months. I know that is a very common thing for puppy mills dogs to do, and to the best of my knowledge, I don’t believe that could cause serious harm (if anyone knows about dogs eating their poop, if it’s harmful, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know, or even suggestions to get them to stop) She most likely did that for years and when I took her to the vet for her very first exam, the veterinarian said she was otherwise healthy except that she had dental disease, which is now resolved. But just the thought of that is GROSS. Any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Now, for the positives. As I mentioned, she was awesome in the car. When we arrived at my parents’ home, she didn’t run and hide, she curiously explored the house!!! She was also following me around, which she never does at home, and not in a clingy way. While sitting on the sofa, I coaxed and prompted her to come to me, and she did, which she also never does at home! And I don’t think she was nervous or scared being in an unfamiliar environment, because if she had been, I think she would have hid somewhere. But still, when I walked in her direction, she would briskly walk away, not run, which she also always does. I kind of think it’s always going to be that way with her, especially considering the life she lived prior to adopting her. But that’s ok, because once I do get her, she would sit on my lap all day if I allowed it. Several times I placed her on each of my parents’ laps, and she stayed there too. What surprised me the most was when she followed me around and came to me when I told her to, both of which she has never done. I guess I have to take the good with the bad.
I’m still considering taking her to dog training classes, but I’m not sure if they’re open due to COVID. I had highly considered it after adopting her, but she desperately needed dental care, and that was my priority; then the pandemic shutdown came along.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Oh congratulations. I’m so happy for your accomplishments. If she hasn’t done the whole poop thing in months it may just be stress. Hopefully it will pass. Let us know how it goes over the next few days. I’d love to hear how she’s doing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Chvilla. Yes, that’s also what I was thinking, stress. Even though she handled everything exceptionally well, there was still stress, and it does crazy mysterious things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts