Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I hope everyone had a great holiday, given the circumstances of the pandemic. I didn’t do anything except work; much of my family thought it wouldn’t be a good idea to get together because of the rising cases of COVID. My parents are in their 70’s, I have a brother who lives out of state, and I have several other relatives who are elderly or immunocompromised. So I figured I may as well work and get holiday pay since I had nothing else to do. Anyhow, Sugarplum is continuing to do very, very well. It’s absolutely amazing how much of a transformation she has made in the past year. And for the past week, she has been cuddling up close to me in bed! I know she loves me and I think she knows that she’s loved💕. I’m at work right now and I don’t have any very recent pics of her, but I decided to post a few pictures from when I first got her. The first one is me holding her; the shelter took that pic and posted it on their Facebook page. Notice how scared she looks; she was burying her head 😢. The second one is her during the drive home, she was fine and very calm. The third one is kind of comical: I think she looks like a huge, stuffed sausage! It also reminds me of ladies 60s bouffant because hair is teased at the roots and looks poofy. But in a way it’s not funny because it’s the result from being matted, and it was a real challenge to get all of that out of her. All of the groomers were booked for the holidays, and the buzzing sound of the clippers probably would have scared her. So I used some shears and cut her hair in sessions; it took about 5 of them because she wasn’t tolerating it well. So I guess it would be safe to say she turned out well given her circumstances. She’s still skittish at times, she occasionally still has accidents, and I still haven’t gotten her to play with toys yet. But if that is the only thing lacking then I consider us very blessed. There were also several other Maltese available for adoption at the time: a male and four females. Two of the females were already spoken for. The other female besides Sugarplum that was still available had a mammary tumor, which I learned usually occurs in female dogs who have given birth to multiple litters of puppies or were spayed at an older age. (They also estimated her age to be the same as Sugarplum’s) She very well could have been Sugarplum’s sister. I felt really sorry for her and thought she might have a hard time being adopted due to this, but when I was almost ready to leave the shelter and take Sugarplum home with me, a woman probably in her 60s was interacting with the other female and it looked like it was going well, so that was promising. I will post some more recent pics of her soon, I promise.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,611 Posts
You have done an amazing job w/her & she will continue to make progress in coming days, I am sure. Love really does cover a multitude of sins! My Lisi has never been good w/toys & we have had her since she was 5 months old. Kitzi will play w/his toys all day on his own. I can't tell you how many little IKEA bears we have gone through already. He is always carrying one around.
Just keep up the good work & post photos when you can--never too many.

·
Premium Member
Paulann & Abella
1,141 Posts
Thank you for posting the update on Sugarplum! 💕
I always love reading your posts about how she is doing. I completely agree that she KNOWS how LOVED she is! (y)
As always, I will be looking forward to hearing more about her progress & seeing more pictures!
Stay healthy & Happy New Year!!
🐶 🐾🌷

dog-quote-life-better.jpg

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Hi all! I hope everyone had a great holiday, given the circumstances of the pandemic. I didn’t do anything except work; much of my family thought it wouldn’t be a good idea to get together because of the rising cases of COVID. My parents are in their 70’s, I have a brother who lives out of state, and I have several other relatives who are elderly or immunocompromised. So I figured I may as well work and get holiday pay since I had nothing else to do. Anyhow, Sugarplum is continuing to do very, very well. It’s absolutely amazing how much of a transformation she has made in the past year. And for the past week, she has been cuddling up close to me in bed! I know she loves me and I think she knows that she’s loved💕. I’m at work right now and I don’t have any very recent pics of her, but I decided to post a few pictures from when I first got her. The first one is me holding her; the shelter took that pic and posted it on their Facebook page. Notice how scared she looks; she was burying her head 😢. The second one is her during the drive home, she was fine and very calm. The third one is kind of comical: I think she looks like a huge, stuffed sausage! It also reminds me of ladies 60s bouffant because hair is teased at the roots and looks poofy. But in a way it’s not funny because it’s the result from being matted, and it was a real challenge to get all of that out of her. All of the groomers were booked for the holidays, and the buzzing sound of the clippers probably would have scared her. So I used some shears and cut her hair in sessions; it took about 5 of them because she wasn’t tolerating it well. So I guess it would be safe to say she turned out well given her circumstances. She’s still skittish at times, she occasionally still has accidents, and I still haven’t gotten her to play with toys yet. But if that is the only thing lacking then I consider us very blessed. There were also several other Maltese available for adoption at the time: a male and four females. Two of the females were already spoken for. The other female besides Sugarplum that was still available had a mammary tumor, which I learned usually occurs in female dogs who have given birth to multiple litters of puppies or were spayed at an older age. (They also estimated her age to be the same as Sugarplum’s) She very well could have been Sugarplum’s sister. I felt really sorry for her and thought she might have a hard time being adopted due to this, but when I was almost ready to leave the shelter and take Sugarplum home with me, a woman probably in her 60s was interacting with the other female and it looked like it was going well, so that was promising. I will post some more recent pics of her soon, I promise.
You are a blessing to Sugarplum. So wonderful that you have given this gal a happy home. You're a miracle worker!

Lainie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts