Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again everyone. I hope you’re all having a good summer. I haven’t been here in several months and I apologize…I just caught up with some things here. Anyhow, from the title of my post I’m sure you all can see where this is headed. It’s true. That dog (Sugarplum) never ceases to amaze me. Just when I thought she’d reached her full potential she does something new. (For those of you who aren’t familiar with Sugarplum, she is a puppy mill rescue and I adopted her a couple of weeks after, in December 2019.)
I’ve been taking her to the grooming school every six weeks since January of this year. I tried grooming her myself for about the first year and a half or so, but she never really tolerated it well, especially with clipping her claws and using the electric clippers in her legs. I also had a very difficult time finding a groomer; previously I had taken her to 2 different groomers who basically implied “Don’t come back,” (ok maybe I’m being a little sarcastic but that’s how I perceived it) The place where I have been taking her is actually a dog grooming school that has been in business since 1996, and it’s only a few miles away. To my knowledge there hasn’t been many (if any) students lately, but it’s always been the same groomer who has done Sugarplum. When I picked her up yesterday she said that Sugarplum is getting better and tolerating grooming better each and every time.
I guess another new thing she has done is that she is interacting with me a lot more now. I asked her a question the other day and she answered me…with a loud, clear bark! She otherwise doesn’t talk much, except when I return home, walking through the door: she won’t stop barking for several minutes; but I know she’s just telling me how much she missed me. Usually when I asked her a question in which the answer was yes, her ears would perk up and she sometimes hesitantly wagged her tail.
But I saved the best for last: about a week ago she was sitting on my lap, so very content. It was a quiet tranquil evening and I was talking to her. I told her she would never have to live like she did before in that puppy mill, and she licked my hand a couple times immediately after! She very rarely, (if ever) does that. It’s as if she understood what I was telling her and she was letting me know she loved me for that!

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,137 Posts
What a precious, endearing story . . . & life you have given her! She totally got it, didn't she. My heart melts when I think of her new life w/you. I just wish we could save them all! I am glad the grooming is going better. If you can keep the same groomer & same place I think she will continue to improve! Lisi is a bear w/nail clipping! That little mouse turns into the world's largest rat! :) That is mainly why the groomer does her now most of the time.

Reactions: crazylady

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,186 Posts
I agree with Sandi, they can form an attachment to a groomer. I am glad you found on e to work with Sugarplum. Unfortunately, two of Casper's groomers. He especially loved the one Lucky had. We had to find a new one and did well last groom.

Reactions: crazylady

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope they stay around longer. They have an excellent reputation with a 4.7 star rating and 147 google reviews. After taking her there I had told some coworkers about the good experience, and one said she takes her dog there and has always been happy with them. As I mentioned they’ve been around since 1996, and the groomer who has been grooming Sugarplum has been grooming dogs since 1980 I believe. I’m in the Midwest and they charge $39.95 for everything, but I always give $50, that’s over twenty percent for a tip; I give that amount because I know Sugarplum can be difficult.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts