Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... I am starting a new thread on this, since I realize that while I gave input regarding breeders I did somewhat pollute the other thread...

Since you seem to be open to taking suggestions for 'tweaking' this forum, Yung, I request a place to showcase rescue dogs. What they had on MO worked really well...it gave the basic information at the very top (ie, the name of the rescue dog as well as the sex and age) below that was more info (a photo of what they currently look like, anything else that would be helpful to know, where the foster was keeping them (city/state), who to contact if interested)... no discussion was allowed on this thread, it was just listing after listing of the rescues currently being fostered/looking for homes. You would email the person in charge of the rescue dog for an application/more information. The listing would be removed once the dog found a furever home.

Since we have several members here very active in rescue (Deb, Edie, Bronwyn, Steve, Cathy? - apologies - remember someone from the East Coast posting comments many times about shelter pulls, etc... could we allow those people to post a blurb/photo on the available dogs section so that it doesn't take away from their alloted photo count, etc?

It would be a great service, IMO... so many people who read aren't even aware of what a rescue dog is or that there is such a thing... if they saw the little faces, they may fall in love and become a part of the solution :) ;) Perhaps prior to posting, you could have anyone you are unfamiliar with (ie new member) who is affiliated with a known rescue contact you for permission to post.

???

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
... I am starting a new thread on this, since I realize that while I gave input regarding breeders I did somewhat pollute the other thread...

Since you seem to be open to taking suggestions for 'tweaking' this forum, Yung, I request a place to showcase rescue dogs. What they had on MO worked really well...it gave the basic information at the very top (ie, the name of the rescue dog as well as the sex and age) below that was more info (a photo of what they currently look like, anything else that would be helpful to know, where the foster was keeping them (city/state), who to contact if interested)... no discussion was allowed on this thread, it was just listing after listing of the rescues currently being fostered/looking for homes. You would email the person in charge of the rescue dog for an application/more information. The listing would be removed once the dog found a furever home.

Since we have several members here very active in rescue (Deb, Edie, Bronwyn, Steve, Cathy? - apologies - remember someone from the East Coast posting comments many times about shelter pulls, etc... could we allow those people to post a blurb/photo on the available dogs section so that it doesn't take away from their alloted photo count, etc?

It would be a great service, IMO... so many people who read aren't even aware of what a rescue dog is or that there is such a thing... if they saw the little faces, they may fall in love and become a part of the solution :) ;) Perhaps prior to posting, you could have anyone you are unfamiliar with (ie new member) who is affiliated with a known rescue contact you for permission to post.

???
I LOVE this suggestion SO much :aktion033::aktion033::aktion033:

·
Banned
242 Posts
Years ago in the late 70's to mid 80's I did yorkie rescue and often ended up with other toy breeds. I think this is is just awsome. Bless both of you who are still involved with rescue!

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
I think this would be great - I just got an email from Mary Palmer that NMR now has 41 dogs in rescue - more than last year - so there are many little white fluff butts that need our help.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
What a wonderful idea!
I see Malts on Petfinder and I think "If only more members on SM could see this pic"

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
I just went to Petfinder and entered Beverly Hills ZipCode for Maltese - there are 860 Maltese/Maltese mix matches. I know there are THOUSANDS of fluffs needing a furever home. A Rescue listing sub forum would be great.

BTW, please vote in the next Shelter Challenge beginning May 17.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i think this is great , i personally know alot of ppl that would love to adopt , or save a dog or a pup. and to be able to come here and see them would be excellent.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi again, Yung... I just sent you a PM with more specific suggestions for this, as well as a scan of the page I saw on the other site that led to our adoption of Echo (to give you a possible idea for layout)

For some reason, I can't see it in my Sent folder, so sure hope it went through

On behalf of all the MANY deserving babies that need furever homes, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for considering this... :)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Deb, Edie, Bronwyn, Steve, Cindy (Yes, YOU were the one I was thinking of), etc who is actively involved in rescue, please pipe up if you have suggestions how to make this something workable and showcase all the wonderful babies out there...

I've basically suggested topic to be Maltese Available for Adoption, Read Only (keeps it from getting diluted), Sex, Age, Location, current Photo or two, Any pertinent info about the dog (ie, good with other animals, no kids, special needs, whatever), Contact Info...

I am constantly amazed at how many people are unaware of rescue programs, petfinder, etc... if they google maltese and find our forum and then find the breeder info as well as current malts in rescue waiting for homes, that could help tremendously!!!! Those little eyes can talk to you right through the computer screen...

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
What a wonderful idea ~ :chili:

I would also like a section, we could continue to update through the admins, with a list of volunteers we could easily contact for help.
For those rescues who require volunteer forms be filled out, we could
have those sent in, and pre-approved so no time is wasted.
I could get the forms for all the rescues we are involved with (AMA, NMR, SCMR, Small Breed Rescue, etc)

My wish list:

· NAME
· CITY AND STATE
· HOW MANY MILES CAN YOU TRANSPORT
· WILL YOU PULL A DOG AND TRANSPORT
· PART TIME FOSTERING AND HOW LONG
· FUND DRIVES INCLUDING WORKING A RESCUE BOOTH
· GO TO ORGANIZED PROTESTS IN YOUR AREA

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
What a wonderful idea ~ :chili:

I would also like a section, we could continue to update through the admins, with a list of volunteers we could easily contact for help.
For those rescues who require volunteer forms be filled out, we could
have those sent in, and pre-approved so no time is wasted.
I could get the forms for all the rescues we are involved with (AMA, NMR, SCMR, Small Breed Rescue, etc)

My wish list:

· NAME
· CITY AND STATE
· HOW MANY MILES CAN YOU TRANSPORT
· WILL YOU PULL A DOG AND TRANSPORT
· PART TIME FOSTERING AND HOW LONG
· FUND DRIVES INCLUDING WORKING A RESCUE BOOTH
· GO TO ORGANIZED PROTESTS IN YOUR AREA
Good list, Deb and great idea to have people pre-approved by the various rescue groups before they are needed. AMA needs foster homes in Florida.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
We could have a sticky with all the rescues and their contact info
A section for ones that need rescue
A section for ones in rescue that need to find their forever home
A section for donations to help the ones with medical problems
A section for rescue stories

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
We could have a sticky with all the rescues and their contact info
A section for ones that need rescue
A section for ones in rescue that need to find their forever home
A section for donations to help the ones with medical problems
A section for rescue stories
Oh yes, there is so much we can, and should do.

These little ones have brought so much into all our lives,
we need to Pay It Forward, and give thanks for our happy,
healthy, clean, and loved babies. :wub:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like the idea about stickies but think maybe as far as highlighting dogs that need homes on a thread here, maybe we should start with just the ones being fostered by members/the organizations the members are affiliated with (AMR/NMR)? Otherwise, it will be so huge it will be unnavigatable since there seem to be SOOOOOO many babies being dumped these days. Then we could reference other rescue available search sites on one of the stickies.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts