Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I thought of a suggestion for SM.

Wouldn't it be awesome to have a cell phone access version to the forum? Something like a cell phone application? Or a cell phone access version once you type in www. In your cell phone Internet search bar?

I know of a fluff forum that has the mobile version access. You type in the www. through your phone Internet and u see that the way the forum is viewed in your cell phone screen is different than the desk top / computer / laptop version. In other words, it is not the full version which is cool because it is quicker and more cell phone friendly. It is easier to navegate. No adds and no need to zoom in because what appears in your cell phone is just the threads. U just click on them and can read and reply way easier. U also has the option to view the full version.

I know that YouTube.com has both an application and a mobile version access when typing in the www. which makes accessing to it and responding to it quicker. FB is another example. Previously, it used to only have a cell phone application (u download and u get the easy access and easier/quicker/more cell phone friendly access); now, it also has the mobile version, so even when u use your internet search bar to type in the URL through the phone, it automatically shows the mobile access.

It is nice that access through a cell phone is possible (just like am doing now) anways, but it will be more cell phone friendly with a mobile version.

Just a suggestion maybe something to consider for the future in SM :)

Hugs
Kat

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
That's a great idea and I'd love it!

It's much more easier to use the apps on your cell phone than the regular access!

Hope something like this will come up for SM in the near future! :thumbsup:

Alexandra :wub:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I am on my cell phone right now and I prefer the full versions of websites because the mobile sites do not include everything. I am on the HTC Droid Incredible with Verizon and I have never had any trouble with websites loading slowly, etc. Maybe I am just lucky? A lot of people do enjoy mobile websites though so it is a very good idea!

·
Premium Member
23,998 Posts
I just got my iPhone recently and easily get on SM and also the Shelter Challenge vote. I've got them in my favorites so the come up immediately and I can make the web images as big as I want by spreading my fingers on it. But I'm not that tech savvy (not surprised at that, are you?) so an app might work.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I've always wished for an app for SM. I have created an app on my iphone for SM, but basically I hit the app and it brings me to SM forum page quicker than typing it in my search field. Problem is it's so hard to navigate SM on an iphone....the font is small, hard to make bigger, etc etc. An app created for our forum would be awesome!

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No slow mobile internet access with me either, but i guess when i'm on a constant move, i prefer the not too detailed version of the full version. My cell phone (iphone and bb) screen is small comparing to a PC screen, so in a full version, i do lots of zooming-in on my phone. There are lots of details in a full version that i dont really need when i am on the go because this leads to more navegation to do and morezooming in to do. In a mobile version, however, it is straight forward ; designed for being "in the go". To get a better picture of how it can look like, you can visit this forum through your phone (The Dog Forum - A friendly online community for dog lovers.) and the view will be the mobile version. dogforum.com doesnt have an app created by iphone or others. In other words, u dont have to download an app in the phone to be able to get the mobile version, but doing the nprmal internet access through phone, gives the mobile version - which i think is so cool because you ALSO have the full version view option to choose on your phone (if u checked that forum out through your phone, u will see what i mean). So if you prefered either versions (full or mobile) on your cell phone, they are there.

Just a thought of suggestion :)

Hugs
Kat

·
Registered
17,034 Posts
I've always wished for an app for SM. I have created an app on my iphone for SM, but basically I hit the app and it brings me to SM forum page quicker than typing it in my search field. Problem is it's so hard to navigate SM on an iphone....the font is small, hard to make bigger, etc etc. An app created for our forum would be awesome!
I did the same thing Tammy, but I agree.......it isn't a great way to check out the forum. Iphone apps are always a good idea.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I added an icon to my home screen for SM. At the bottom of my iPhone is a +. Press that and where it says add to home screen. It comes right up. I would like to send pics & vids from my phone. Not sure if it's SM or my carrier, but I can't.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like to send pics & vids from my phone. Not sure if it's SM or my carrier, but I can't.
SM does not have an app or mobile view version, so pictures cannot be sent directly from the phone to SM.

What you can do is download photobucket.com app in your iphone - so easy to upload and share pictures after seconds from taking them :D

To share photos in SM while am on the phone, i rely on photobucket.com mobile version and phone app.

Here is a picture that i just took with my phone few minutes ago

And here is a sceen shot of my iphone.
My photobucket application is on the top left corner (first app up on the left)

Sharing the above images here in SM were done through my phone; although not uploaded straight from my phone album, having photobucket app makes sharing in SM quicker ans easier because u upload directly from phone to photobucket and photo URL is there to copy instantly to paste here ;)

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good God, for the life of me I can't figure out what the heck you girls are talking about. LOL
xoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxox
LOL kerry

in short, SM mobile version or SM app for your cell phone.

although not uploaded straight from my phone album, having photobucket app makes sharing in SM quicker ans easier
Just wanna correct the above in Bold.
Photobucket app makes sharing photos via phone in SM "possible".

If SM app was available, sharing will be direct (from phone to SM) so no need for photobucket step ^_^

·
Premium Member
20,000 Posts
Anything made easier for me is good. I've had my I phone for a little over a month.....I guess I'm a slow learner...:blush:. Thank goodness there will be other I Phone users at the puppy party. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks Kat, I'll try!
No prob. It really is easy. Not as direct as if SM had its own mobile version, but is doable. Here are the steps in pictures...

Step 1: click on your photobucket app icon - this the first thing that will come on your screen.

It will take you to your photobucket album - mobile version. In this screen bellow, you will see 4 icons.
Step 2: tap the 3rd icon wich reads "upload media"

This screen will show up. Step 3: tap on "choose existing"

It will automatically takes u to your cell phone's camera roll. Step 4: tap on the camera roll and choose the photo that u wanna upload.

Once u tap on the specific photo in your phone's camera roll, photobucket will automatically upload it.

To your photobucket album. Step 5: tap on the photo that u just uploaded

On the bellow, right corner, u will see the icon "i" . Step 6: tap on it

This screen will show up. Where it says "Direct" , step 7: tap on the link next to it

It will automatically copy the Direct Link
[/IMG]

U can close photobucket app. Step 8: go to posting a new thread in SM

step 9: tap the "insert image" icon

In this box that will show up

Step 10: paste what u copied in step7

And tap "ok"

Step 11: tap "submit reply"

And u will have the photo from your phone to SM (of course with photobucket for cell phone help)

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
thanks for shring that , i usually dont use my iphone to access sm , only for the challenge n to catch up at times, but it was very nice to give us step by step on the pic thing , cause i always get lost on that.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for shring that , i usually dont use my iphone to access sm , only for the challenge n to catch up at times, but it was very nice to give us step by step on the pic thing , cause i always get lost on that.
Glad that you found it useful, Liza :thumbsup:

I copied / pasted it to the Tutorial section just in case someone else was wondering.

My phone and I have been good friends lately. I am always on the go, so look for the things that are designed for being away from the PC screen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts