Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal, I took Summer out to my mom and brother 's they lives down the street ( out in the country) from each other. Anyway my neice just got the cutiest little min. schnauzer 2 mos. old the fiestest little thing.. The problem she just walked all over poor Summer
Summer would chase and play with her (someone smaller than her
) but the little Schnauzer was diffidently putting Summer in her place.
Now at home Christy our Laso is the alpha, Summer will wait for her to leave the food or water dish etc
I really felt bad for Summer, she's a verylow key loveable dog very friendly the question is will she be this shy and I hate to say this wimpy
with other dogs? Not thatIreally care..
Its almost like she didn't know what to do with this little burst of energy!
Well
maybe I just answered my own question :lol: She was just
in shock because here was someone smaller and faster than her

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I personally prefer "wimpy" dogs that have no desire to be the alpha or pack leader. As you say Summer is a low key and loveable dog.

Lady definately fits that description. She is happily the lowliest member of our little pack (totally inferior to her Siamese sisters in their opinion!) She challenges no one so she is a delight to take with me. I can take her into anyone's home and she is polite and well mannered to the resident cats and dogs.

If we are out walking and she sees a squirrel or rabbit up ahead, she will actually turn around and go the other way, respecting the fact that it got there first!

I'll take that over the day to day challenge of living with an alpha dog anyday!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lady is the same way! She is afraid of little dogs. I blame it on one of my idiot neighbors who had a Yorkie he used to let off the leash. Kaylee used to charge at poor Lady, yipping and yapping, when I first adopted her and she was learning to walk on a leash.

Lady is awe struck by big dogs. She just stares at them. I'm sure she has no idea that she is from the same species! But she has no fear of them and is very comfortable around my sister's huge GSD and my daughter's 100 pound lab.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't get me wrong I love Summer just the way she is . I was just a little suprised thats all because she is so friendly to our cat Joey and dog Christy she loves to play with both of them .. Joey is the funniest he acts like he doesn't like Summer . but let her start playing with him and what fun to watch he is sooo gentle with her NEVER does he put his claws out just kind of swats her :lol:
NOPE
I love Summer Just the way she is likes to play, take naps and she hardy ever barks ..and LOVES everyone..
I must say I came home the other day and the back door was locked and I had to knock and
I hear bark, bark
I was so shocked my son opens the door and he's holding her and I'm like was she the good watch dog or does she just know its me She gets soo excited when anyone comes thur that door

I've never had a dog like her she's the best thing ever

Oops I forgot she's my daughters dog
yah right

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Summer sounds so much like Lady! Lady never barks at strange noises, people, other dogs, or anything either. The only thing that gets her barking is mealtime or if one of her treat dispensing toys is either empty or stuck under a chair!

I just love her mellow, laid back disposition!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Nadia seems to be the same.. very layed back and just takes things and people and dogs as they come. It is quite a reversal from my little Missy who thought she owned the world! ...AND JUST DARE ANYBODY OR ANYTHING INFRINGE UPON IT ! LOL
I have to admit it is nice to be able to take her and/or have people come and Naddie is just thrilled to have the attention! She is such a sweet little soul!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have an "alpha" type personality male but I have to tell you that he makes a GREAT houseguest when we visit (and stay over) with others who have dogs. I think maybe the whole alpha thing is beginning to be overused on this forum...I notice people start mentioning it whenever any types of problems occur ranging from grooming to getting along with other dogs. I don't think that dogs' behavior is just that simple as being classified into being alpha vs not alpha. I notice people mention "I am sure I am alpha" and I just have to roll my eyes -- sorry! I went through a stage like that but I really don't think its that simple anymore.

We stayed for a week with my inlaws who have 2 dogs and Miko never acted as an "alpha" to the other dogs but nor does he get pushed around by other dogs. He played with other dogs if they were up to it or just walked around and sniffed.

I guess I am just starting to get annoyed with the whole "alpha" thing.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I tend to agree with OKW that perhaps the term "alpha" is overused and blamed for simply bad behavior allowed by the owner or a puppy who hasn't learned proper pack hierarchy and behavior from his mom and siblings.

I've had dogs all my life and only had one "alpha". She was labeled as such by a trainer. Peggy fit the bill. She was very smart and challenged others for pack leader right from the start - my ex husband and children! She had growling/biting issues from age 7 weeks on.

I think most of us probably have middle of the roaders which make of the majority of the pack. That may be what Miko is since he easily fit in with his "new" pack rather than challenging for control of it.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Paris hasn't met a dog she doesn't like! There is this huge black German Shephard down the street and HE turned and ran away from my little 6 1/2 lb. baby.
It was really funny to watch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts