Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Well Summer is going to be 6 mos. in June and the Vet tells me this is the best time to have her spayed We thought about breeding her but I think she's going to be to small she's 5 mos. and only 3 1/2 lbs.. So jaimie and i talked and we've decided to get her spayed
Is this the right time or should we let her go thru 1 heat ..?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
You want to have her spayed before her first heat. If you do that she has a lot lower chance of getting cancer. If you do it after the first heat there is a significantly higher chance of her getting cancer.

Edit: Found this on a website:
Healthier pets

* Females spayed before their first heat cycle have 96.4% less risk of breast cancer. Spaying after the first heat but before a litter still reduces the risk by 84%. Breast cancer is four times more common in dogs than in humans.
* Spayed females have no risk of uterine infection, or uterine, ovarian, or cervical cancer.[/B]

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@May 9 2005, 02:09 PM
You want to have her spayed before her first heat.  If you do that she has a lot lower chance of getting cancer.  If you do it after the first heat there is a significantly higher chance of her getting cancer.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61157
[/QUOTE]
I didn't know that we will for sure get her spayed before that
thanks

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
glad u decided to get her spayed..it is the best choice. may i ask who is Jaimie? ive never met n e one to spell their name the same way i do

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by LadyMontava@May 9 2005, 07:33 PM
glad u decided to get her spayed..it is the best choice.  may i ask who is Jaimie?  ive never met n e one to spell their name the same way i do

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61227
[/QUOTE]
I've never met anyone either who spelled it that way
Jaimie is my 16 yr old daughter ( she's the reason we have Summer talked her daddy in to it this year finally, always wanted her own pup well quess who takes care of the little furball ME AND I LOVE EVERY MINUTE
:lol: ) she is a little jealous but oh well kids that age are so busy...
Anyway her dads name is James ( Jim) and we came up with Jaimie I found the spelling in a romance noval :lol: I'll tell her she's not alone always saying MOM why did you have to put the extra i in it she can't find anything with her name on it spelled that way I think it unique don't you

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I've never met anyone either who spelled it that way
Jaimie is my 16 yr old daughter ( she's the reason we have Summer talked her daddy in to it this year finally, always wanted her own pup well quess who takes care of the little furball ME AND I LOVE EVERY MINUTE
:lol: ) she is a little jealous but oh well kids that age are so busy...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61306
[/QUOTE]

Had to laugh at your post! I wish you'd been here about a month ago when we had a heated discussion about whether teenagers could really be responsible for pets. Your experience with your daughter is exactly what had I with my children. I cleaned fish tanks, guinea pig and rabbit cages, horses stalls, litter boxes and walked dogs! And only my dog Petie and one of the cats were technically mine!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
You made a very responsible decision not to breed Summer!

A Checklist to Breeding Your Dog
by Jane Johnson.
with the help of lots of other people.

These are the points that you should be able to check off with a tick. This is a quick guide for what you should look for before you breed, and is not all inclusive. Further input is welcome:

Is your bitch:
1. show quality
2. a champion
3. have both parents and grand parents that are champions
4. free from hereditary disease
5. parents and grand parents tested and free from hereditary disease
6. mature enough to breed
7. tested today as free from brucellosis

Is your dog:
1. show quality
2. a champion
3. have both parents and grand parents that are champions
4. free from hereditary disease
5. parents and grand parents tested and free from hereditary disease
6. mature enough to breed
7. tested today as free from brucellosis

And you need to meet ALL of the following criteria:
1. you are have homes already for all pups - before the mating
2. you have found a dog that meets all the points in the section above relating to the requirements of the bitch
3. you are prepared to offer a lifetime guarantee for the health of the pups
4. if, during the lifetime of the pups, any need to be returned for whatever reason, you take that pup (now adult dog) back and find a home for him/her.
5. all non-show quality pups are sold with a spay/neuter agreement
6. all prospective buyers have been fully screened by you
7. you are going to offer support and advice to your puppy buyers for the life of the pup
8. you have the money to cover a stud fee, possible c-section and complications, vaccinations, and still get no income from the sale of any pups.
9. have you consented with the breeder of your bitch/dog and sought their advice?

Now that's just a starting point. If you can't or won't meet these criteria, perhaps breeding at this time is not the best thing for you or your dog.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well Ladysmom,
When u put it like that NOOO
I'm not ready to breed anything... Between My husband 2 teenagers 2 cats, 1 outside dog and Summer do i have the time :new_Eyecrazy: are you kidding me
I think i will just enjoy the little furball.. :D thanks for the
eye opener

1 - 9 of 9 Posts