Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I think I'll be experimenting with Shea Butter and Coconut Oil this summer. I know both of them have some natural SPF.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
grrrrrr....time to go shopping for new sunscreen.

THanks for posting this. As you may remember my little Amelia has already had one abnormal mole removed. I have to be very vigilant about protecting her skin.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Thanks for posting this, Suzan.

It's so hard to find a good sunscreen. I was on a quest last year for a physical ( non-chemical ) sunscreen that didn't contain nano or micronized zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. I finally found Marie Veronique sunscreen Moisturizing Face Screen, SPF 30 - No tint

It's pricey, but I just use it for my face. It contains non-micronized zinc and no vitamin A. Plus it has green and white tea and beneficial oils. I love this one! It's not at all heavy or greasy and doesn't leave a white cast.

For the rest of my body ( on days when I'm in the sun for a prolonged time ) I was using Mexitan, but it was heavy and left a white cast, and it contained vitamin A. So I switched to Elemental Herbs sunscreen Sunscreen -- Elemental Herbs Online Store The zinc oxide is micronized but not nano, and there's no vitamin A. I use the tinted, so there's no white cast.

Just recently I've been experimenting with using Red Raspberry Seed Oil, which some studies have indicated may provide a potential SPF of between 28 - 50. I've been adding it to my DIY vitamin C serum that I apply all over. So far I've yet to burn, but I haven't tried it in prolonged sun exposure yet.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a friend who has never used sunscreen. She is in perfect health, never sunburns, and has optimum Vitamin D levels.

My husband, who used to overuse sunscreen, had skin cancer on his face many years ago.

Here's a tip: The higher your Vitamin D level, the less you will burn. Vitamin D protects the skin. Have your Vitamin D level checked (simple blood test at doc's office, or do an online mail order test yourself) and go from there.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Wow Wow Wow!!!! Suzan, thanks so much for this!!!!! I have two favorite sunscreens....one scored really high (La Roche Posay SPF 40) and the other (Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch) scored really low!!! I'm so surprised!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts