I'm evaluating these products to buy:

Must click on the link on this page to read about the JOINTS FORMULA
NURPO JOINTS FORMULA

Missing LINK with Glucosamine

Solid Gold MSM

HALO Hip Hip Hurray!

Syn-Flex
More to read here about Syn-Flex

Of course, if you know of other stuff please don't hesitate to recommend or not-recommend.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I get mine from DrsFosterSmith.com and you can get it from their web site. It is callded GF 11 300 for small dogs. It is made by vets so it should be good, well it is good because Scooby has made a marked improvement with his LP since taking them. I give him a half every morning.
It also has the NZ green lipped mussle extract too which is very good for their joints. The one on the left has no glucosamine just the green lipped mussle, but the small one on the right has both. I would suggest you get the smaller one as it has the glucosamine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think you would want one with glucosamine and chondrotin together. The vets always recommend one they sell in the office (the name of which escapes me right now) but I think there are ones on the market with more glucosamine.

I meant to tell you that if your vet picked up a grade 1 lp, I would stick with that vet!! We have seen some vets who didn't pick up Miko grades 2-3 lp.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I was just wondering if the glucosamine we can buy at the chemist is the same as the one that is given to our pets. If so then wouldn't it be better to just buy it there?
I wouldn't know what dosage to give a 10lb Maltese but I could ask my vet that question, I am sure she would know.
What is chondrotin? I have never heard of that.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by okw@Sep 4 2005, 08:22 PM
I think you would want one with glucosamine and chondrotin together.  The vets always recommend one they sell in the office (the name of which escapes me right now) but I think there are ones on the market with more glucosamine. 

I meant to tell you that if your vet picked up a grade 1 lp, I would stick with that vet!!  We have seen some vets who didn't pick up Miko grades 2-3 lp.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96902
[/QUOTE]

You're right, we think we have found the vet! We have tried so many in this area and we are very rigorous with diagnose, check-ups. This is the first time anyone has found anything. she was very attentive and very nice. we didn't even have to pay for her to diagnose / checkup. we were only there for the vaccines, and that is usually done by a vet-tech. she is very hands on and wanted to do everything herself. yay for all the good vets out there!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by Paris'Mom+Sep 4 2005, 06:50 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-okw
@Sep 4 2005, 08:22 PM
I think you would want one with glucosamine and chondrotin together.  The vets always recommend one they sell in the office (the name of which escapes me right now) but I think there are ones on the market with more glucosamine. 

I meant to tell you that if your vet picked up a grade 1 lp, I would stick with that vet!!  We have seen some vets who didn't pick up Miko grades 2-3 lp.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96902
You're right, we think we have found the vet! We have tried so many in this area and we are very rigorous with diagnose, check-ups. This is the first time anyone has found anything. she was very attentive and very nice. we didn't even have to pay for her to diagnose / checkup. we were only there for the vaccines, and that is usually done by a vet-tech. she is very hands on and wanted to do everything herself. yay for all the good vets out there!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96907
[/B][/QUOTE]

I also think its important to prevent Paris from jumping onto and off furniture. We bought Miko a ramp and he has been using it. In fact, he seems to prefer using it to jumping. Its easier on their knees and prevents back problems.

Scoobydoo,

I am not exactly sure what chondrontin is, but I think glucosamine by itself is not as effective. I am fairly sure that you can give Scoobydoo the same glucosamine you take. I have asked a few vets about dosing for pets, and apprently there aren't set doses at all. I don't think glucosamine has any toxicity, so you can't overdose. Glucosamine/chondrontin is not even FDA approved for people, that's why dosing and such and not set.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I use the regular Nupro formula for Brinkley. I think it is good stuff. I have considered getting the joint formula next time. A tub of the stuff lasts FOREVER!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I use Cosequin DS ,I get from the vet for Lamby.It works great ,I can really tell the difference it makes for her!

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Frosty has had Missing Link Plus for many years. He loves it. It must taste really good. I know as far as the Omega's are concerned it's great. It doesn't have very much Glucosamine. He's old and stiff and has had a bad knee all his life, so the vet had me add a couple of things. Frosty likes them both (which is a miracle!). One is for inflammatory conditions it's Duralactin--smells like vanilla candy--it's made of Microlactin, a milk protein. The other is Synovi G3 granules--it's Glucosamine,MSM,Creatine, Omega-3 (EPA and DHA) and Vitamins C & E, Calcium and Phosphorus. The vet sells them, but I ordered them at Pet-Vet-Direct for about 1/3 the cost. He hasn't been on them long enough to know how they work. Synovi come in several formulas, the G-3 is for older dogs with the most problems moving. It's made by DVM.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
My vet swears by "Chondro-Flex II". One tablet contains : 500 mg glucosamine, 400 mg sodium chondroitin sulfate, 66 mg ascorbate (manganese ascorbate), 10 mg Manganese (ascorbate) 250 mg MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane). I give a quarter of a tablet each day to Alex.

For myself I have used Flexicose (liquid form). As far as I read the liquid form of glucosamine and chondroitin is better absorbed by the body. Flexicose is also used for pets. http://www.Flexicose.com

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Those are the ingredients in Syn-Flex (amount per serving of 1/4 fl. oz) :
1250 mg Glucosamine HCL and Glucosamine Sulfate
25 mg Shark Cartilage (20% Chondroitin Sulfate)

8 mg Boswellin
3 mg Yucca Powder
5 mg Manganese (Ascorbate)
1 mg Bromelain
5 mg Vitamin C
5 mg Omega 3 Fatty Acid
5 mg Omega 6 Fatty Acid
80 IU Vitamin A
2 IU Vitamin E

and here are the ingredients in Flexicose (amount per serving of 1/4 fl. oz) :

1500 mg Glucosamine HCI and sulfate
120 mg Chrondroitin Sulfate
1600 mg Flexibility complex : Aloe vera gel, MSM, omega 3 fatty acids, niacinamide, yucca root, bromelain, boswellia serrata resin extract
Vitamin A 1250 IU
Vitamin C 15 mg
Vitamin E 7.5 IU
Manganese 0.7 mg

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I am on Sport Medicine, part of Ortho surgery right now. Here is what the ortho surgeons recommend to almost every patient:

1500 mg glucosamine and 1200 mg chondrontin per day, every day

and apparently there were studies done comparing different brands and the best ones turned out to be generic ones sold in Walmart and CVS.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
My vet told me to give Lady 300 mg of glucosamine every day. Glycoflex and Cosequin were the 2 brands she recommended. I had been giving Lady the Nupro joint formula, but she said it didn't have enough glucosamine so she recommended giving them separately - regular Nupro with a joint supplement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts