Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, as to what suppliments you are giving your babies, if any?

I use the angels glow on Delilah like 1/8 of tsp Mon,Wed and Friday. Honestly, I am going to take her off this and see how she does. I don't think she even needs it.

Now, I do have her on ENP's Glucosamine Plus- I give her 1/2 teaspoon mixed in her food every morning. This is more of a preventative than anything. I want to make sure that she has healthiest, bones, joints and ligaments.

Should I be giving her a multi-vitamin to? Or is she getting all she needs through her food? Right now, she just eats totally wet foods. No dry, but I need to change that. I just don't want to spend 20 bucks on a 4 lb bag of food that she won't eat.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I don't give mine any supplements as I feed her Acana and personally I think that has enough for her. I also add some home cooking (tailored for her) to her dry kibble, plus the coconut oil.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I just don't want to spend 20 bucks on a 4 lb bag of food that she won't eat.
Laura, is there a member that lives sorta close that could let you try some of their food? If you were near me, I'd give you a baggie of Orijen 6 Fish to try on her ... I know what you mean about trying new foods and them not working out, and you've spent all the money.

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
A lot of us give Omega 3 (or fish oil). I'm not sure I'd give glucosamine as a preventative. I supplement kibble with veggies and fruits.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Besides the vitamins/minerals that go into home cooking, I supplement with Omega 3 (Fish Oil) and Coconut oil. I give Nikki tiny pieces of fruit and vegs as treats, along with freeze dried salmon treats. Her health is great and her tummy is fine as long as hubby doesn't sneak her excess romaine lettuce and/or raspberries, lol.

Regarding kibble: 1lb sample bags of Acana foods are available for purchase at this site: Product search ? The Pet Health and Nutrition Center

Many of us have purchased foods for our dogs that didn't work out one way or another. There is no way to tell in advance. Yes, money will be wasted, but it can't be helped sometimes. You could always donate the unused food to a rescue or a senior citizen who might need a little extra for their dog.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Besides the vitamins/minerals that go into home cooking, I supplement with Omega 3 (Fish Oil) and Coconut oil.
Do you mind sharing which brand of Omega 3 and Cocomut oil you use and where you get it?

I am always on the look out for supplements to give Toby. Thanks! :biggrin:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just curious, as to what suppliments you are giving your babies, if any?

I use the angels glow on Delilah like 1/8 of tsp Mon,Wed and Friday. Honestly, I am going to take her off this and see how she does. I don't think she even needs it.

Now, I do have her on ENP's Glucosamine Plus- I give her 1/2 teaspoon mixed in her food every morning. This is more of a preventative than anything. I want to make sure that she has healthiest, bones, joints and ligaments.

Should I be giving her a multi-vitamin to? Or is she getting all she needs through her food? Right now, she just eats totally wet foods. No dry, but I need to change that. I just don't want to spend 20 bucks on a 4 lb bag of food that she won't eat.
Is there a dog boutique by you that sells dog food? Many places will either have sample bags you can try or will allow you to bring back the food if you dog doesn't like it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I use for Zoey Nuvet vitamins ~ www.nuvet.com/41566. She gets 1/2 vitamin mixed into her food Royal Canin 33. Veggies & fruits for snacks. Her new favorite is peas...she absolutely loved them & digests them well.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I home cook but I add:

Animal Essential Multi vitamins alternated with Herbal Blend
Animal Essential Probiotic/Enzymes
Animal Essential Calcium
Coconut oil alternated with fish oil (EicosaDerm)
SynoviCre for their joints

I have a little one that has LP4 on both knees.:blink:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I home cook for all four of mine!

I add the following supplements w/ breakfast:
NaturVet Ultimate
Liquid Flaxseed oil
NaturVet Probiotics/Enzymes
MaxJoint
Multiple vitamin

With their evening meal I add the following:
NaturVet Kelp Help
NaturVet Probiotics/Enzymes
Max Joint (only to the two w/ LP)
Bone Meal

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Yes, I would get sample bags to try before I bought larger bags. Most pet food stores that sell the higher brands have samples to try..........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts