Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Sir N has had the "third" eyelid from both eyes surgically removed. Now, he has one eye that tears constantly and one that doesn't. I have since discovered what made him cry red and I now know that it wasn't necessary to get the surgery--just to keep him away from smokers. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that even after having that third eyelid removed, he still has the ability to cry red tears and get his face stained. He has a nice white face, but that sometimes takes work. I blot his face with tissue (but more often just with the hem of my shirt or skirt) about 15 times a day. That keeps the red away more than anything else, for him.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
So Sir N really had allergies to smoke. Before the sergury did they detirmin that he had lashes underneth the eye lid.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of surgery the OP is talking about as all that was mentioned was "eye surgery". Sir N had it done due to a sudden gush of red very smelly tears. The vet said that it had to be done. This was before I had my own computer and easy access to the internet. This vet had easily cleared up another of Sir N's problems that many other vets couldn't, so I trusted him. This surgery had nothing to do with hairs sticking in his eyes. He has never had that problem. As for allergic to cigarette smoke, I don't know if all dogs are allergic to cigarette smoke. I imagine not as surely many smokers must have their own dogs.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by NC's Mom@Aug 19 2005, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure what kind of surgery the OP is talking about as all that was mentioned was "eye surgery".  Sir N had it done due to a sudden gush of red very smelly tears.  The vet said that it had to be done.  This was before I had my own computer and easy access to the internet.  This vet had easily cleared up another of Sir N's problems that many other vets couldn't, so I trusted him.  This surgery had nothing to do with hairs sticking in his eyes.  He has never had that problem.  As for allergic to cigarette smoke, I don't know if all dogs are allergic to cigarette smoke.  I imagine not as surely many smokers must have their own dogs.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=92451
[/QUOTE]

Oh I thought you were referrig to the hair in eyelid surgery. I understand now... thanks

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
There are a variety of causes of tear staining. If your dog has excessive staining secondary to a surgically repairable problem like entropion, distichiasis, etc., then surgery can be a good option not only for the cosmetics, but because those conditions cause discomfort and other problems down the line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts