Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am taking advantage of the "Anything Goes" part of the forum. I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on Oct 3rd. Scared and disappointed are only the beginning. Fifteen years of infertility and 3 miscarriages later I am destined to only have babies with 4 legs and furry faces. I think in my heart I knew, Vinny was my 40th birthday gift to me from me, I was anticipating another bout of depression and he is just what i needed.
I was diagnosed with fibroids 2 months ago and have been bleeding steady for 4 months now, last month I received a blood transfusion and still cant get it (bleeding) under control. I guess I am looking for some feedback and personal experiences. What was it like coming out of the anesthetic, how long were you in the hospital, how about recovery time. I have to say the hardest part right now is leaving Vinny, I asked the Dr. if I could come out the same day and he told me no problem, as soon as I did a back flip down the hallway (funny guy). He did tell me Vinny could come to visit, and we would work on coming out the next day. We have never been apart for very long, when I had the transfusion I refused to stay the night and left as soon as it was finished. The other thing is the hospital in my town doesn't do surgery so we are going into the city, not totally a bad thing my sister lives there and has a room set up for me when I get out. I just don't know how my poor Vince will do, the longest we have been apart is 4 hours and he is a true mama's boy.
WOW reading back I am rambling. I will finish this off before I start deleting stuff, I really would like to hear from those of you that have had this surgery.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I had my hyster about 6 years ago (I was 44) and It WAS THE BEST THING I EVER DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know you have been down a long painful road and I'm sure it's hard to take such a final step but believe me, you will be amazed at how much better you feel physically when it is all over. I was luck that I was able to have two children but I also had 3 miscarriages and when they finally removed my uterus there were 11 lbs of fibroids in it.

Everyone responds differently to surgery and I encourage you not to rush home any sooner than they want to send you. I don't know what kind of help you have at home and whether you are having abdominal or vaginal but the hardest thing after a hyster is not over doing it. You really need to take it easy and let others do the work.

Take the pain medication they give you! Don't try to be "macho" The pain isn't bad but you will be a bit uncomfortable for a few days. Don't rush your recovery, if they tell you to take 4 weeks off DO IT (usually 6 if you have abdominal). Even if you don't have an "outside incision" they have done lots of cutting inside and you need time to heal.

The most exciting thing about having a hyster, especially when you've been bleeding like a stuck pig for months
is being able to go out and buy new undies and sheets :D :D :D . I'll never forget one of the first things I did was go out and buy the prettiest pale peach sheets you ever saw (I always bought white so I could bleach them)

I tell all my girlfrieds when they have hysters that I won't send them "Get Well" cards I'll send them CONGRATULATION cards!!! I'm not trying to make light of you situation, I know it's hard but you are not going to believe how much better you feel when you get your blood count back to normal and you have stopped bleed non stop! Good Luck!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that you have to go thru all this. I cannot even imagine the dissapointment and pain that you must feel. 4 of my sisters (I got 6) have gone thru the same procedure and is not easy. The recovery time totally depends on each one. I wish I have more encouraging words for you, all I can say is that I will keep you in my prayers, for an speedy recovery and guidence for the doctors to do their best. Snowy and I send you a big hug

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I personally have not went thru this but my mother did when I was inhigh school and being the oldest i took care of things.

She was able to keep her ovaries so she had a vaginal hysty and was able to come home the same day. But she was very sore and not able to get around all that well.

But she will agree with Puppylove it was the best thing she ever did. She had been in so much pain for so long.

One of my very close friends had a Hysty last year and was in the hospital for three days and on lots of bed rest for almost two weeks. BUT she had a tummy tuck at the same time the witch (I sooo want the tummy tuck) so she had a diffent story.
But she is very glad also.

I know you have been thru so much and I am very sorry but look on the bright side and there are lots of great things that will come out of it.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
I myself haven't been through this. I just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery. I think it is great that your dr. will let Vinny come visit you. I'm sure your sister will take great care of him until you get back. Keep us posted on your recovery. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I had the vaginal hyster with ovaries left intact and it took the full 6 weeks before I was back to normal but really had little pain. Mostly just weak and crampy and sore but not a big deal.

And it was THE BEST DECISION I EVER MADE! I have not missed that part, ever, and it has not affected menopause. In fact, I had NO symptoms to speak of when menopause arrived. Don't know if it was coincidence or actually a side effect but I'm happy about it all.

Staying with your sister is excellent because it helps the first few days to have someone around until you get your legs under you steadily.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I am sorry you have to go through this, but I am sure you will not regret it one bit. I had my hyster 25 years ago and I have to agree with everyone IT WAS THE BEST THING I EVER DID. I too had firebroyds and couldn't go anywhere because of the constant and heavy bleeding.
I was in hospital for 6 days post surgery because I had the abdominal incision, but you must listen to your doctor and do all he or she tells you afterwards. Once you are past the recovery stage and back on your feet you will be so thankful you did it.

Good luck and don't worry about your baby he will be fine, I am sure he will be well cared for in your absence.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for the feedback and support. I will be having an abdominal, last month they measured my uterus as being almost 5 months pregnant. (how ironic is that). Ginny you brought a smile to my face thank you for that, I am in dire need of new undies and sheets and you can bet I will be looking forward to no more periods. Hubby will be there with me as well, he will be dividing his time between hospital and the kids, Vinny and her big sister Kody (lab/collie mix) who is 14 1/2 and a daddy's girl so she wont miss me as much. I do have a great amount of support, I am the oldest of 5 girls and between those 4 sisters I have 10 wonderful nieces and nephews, 3 of them belong to Pak3tz, not to mention my wonderful mom. I think the closer the surgery date is the bluer I get, I just have to pull myself together and accept what I have been dealt. You guys are terrific.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Well, dang, sign me up for one! :D Seriously though, I've been wanting the whole kit and caboodle taken out since I was about 13 years old because that is when the mind boggling cramps began. Just wish I could get a doctor to agree to do it. Hmmmm.....I'm in Asia....easy place to get fake id papers....perhaps that is what I should do...lie about my age and get it done! :D

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by tag@Sep 21 2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback and support.  I will be having an abdominal, last month they measured my uterus as being almost 5 months pregnant. (how ironic is that).  Ginny you brought a smile to my face thank you for that, I am in dire need of new undies and sheets and you can bet I will be looking forward to no more periods.  Hubby will be there with me as well, he will be dividing his time between hospital and the kids, Vinny and her big sister Kody (lab/collie mix) who is 14 1/2 and a daddy's girl so she wont miss me as much.  I do have a great amount of support, I am the oldest of 5 girls and between those 4 sisters I have 10 wonderful nieces and nephews, 3 of them belong to Pak3tz, not to mention my wonderful mom.  I think the closer the surgery date is the bluer I get, I just have to pull myself together and accept what I have been dealt.  You guys are terrific.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101867
[/QUOTE]

Well if you are having the abdominal please do not expect to go home the next day, you will need to stay in hospital for at least the next 4-6 days. Your babies will be cared for and you will need to rest well before going home. Don't worry you will be fine and so will your baby I am sure, your health is just as important and you need to get well so you can care for him.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I am will be wishing you a speedy and comfortable recovery. Just remember if you don't follow doctors orders you could cause complications, that could possibly

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
My mom had a vaginal hysterectomy a few months ago to fix uterine prolapse and I believe she was home on post-op day 2. Vaginal hysterectomies are much better tolerated than abdominal but if there is any question of cancer, the surgery is done abdominally (or if the uterus is very large). My mom had a bit more discomfort because she had a prolapse fixed as well.

I wish you a speedy recovery . When I am definitely past the child bearing age, I plan to get hysterectomy and both of my ovaries removed -- less chance for cancer!!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Take care of yourself and take it easy. I hope you have a quick recovery and that little Vinny is okay while you two are apart.
We'll send out good thoughts for you

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I had a histerectomy when I was 35 years old. And yes it was the best thing I did. I kept my ovaries so no need to take hormones. I had the abdominal procedure because my uterus was huge. I stayed in the hospital for about 6 days. It takes something like 6 weeks to be up and running again doing everything you did before. No driving for about 2 weeks. I already had a child and did not want another one, so it was not a big deal for me. Today they kick you out of the hospital quicker. Last year I had surgery to remove a mass on my ovaries (they found 3 big tumors). They took out everything left this time. It was a more important surgery (thank goodness the tumors were benign, I was very very lucky) and they send me home after 3 days. But don't expect to be able to do something at home the first week. You will need help. Also, don't try to be "macho" like somebody else mentioned, use the pain pump when necessary. You will heal quicker if there is no pain. The good thing about it is No more periods, no more contraception to think about. And after 2 weeks not being able to drive, you are going to be a free woman again.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
I had a hysterectomy when I was 25 years old due to cervical cancer. That was 25 years ago. Back then the doctor had me stay in the hospital for a week. Two days pre-op for tests and 5 days post-op. I had my surgery abdominally, and truthfully I was glad to be in the hospital. I had a small child at home and I had to rely on my mom and mother-in-law to help with him while I was in the hospital. It took at least 6 weeks recovery time. My doctor finally told me that if I started to do something and it hurt then just do not do it. You will be surprised which muscles you use for things you never even imagined. ie, I never realized it took abdominal muscles to drive the car, vaccum the house, etc. You may tire easily for 4--6 months after your surgery. If so, just take it slow and easy and you will be back to your old self in no time. And that little fur baby will lay beside mommy for a many of waking hour. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Keep your chin up.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Originally posted by tag@Sep 21 2005, 03:44 PM
Well I am taking advantage of the "Anything Goes" part of the forum.  I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on Oct 3rd.  Scared and disappointed are only the beginning.  Fifteen years of infertility and 3 miscarriages later I am destined to only have babies with 4 legs and furry faces.  I think in my heart I knew, Vinny was my 40th birthday gift to me from me, I was anticipating another bout of depression and he is just what i needed.
I was diagnosed with fibroids 2 months ago and have been bleeding steady for 4 months now, last month I received a blood transfusion and still cant get it (bleeding) under control.  I guess I am looking for some feedback and personal experiences.  What was it like coming out of the anesthetic, how long were you in the hospital, how about recovery time.  I have to say the hardest part right now is leaving Vinny, I asked the Dr. if I could come out the same day and he told me no problem, as soon as I did a back flip down the hallway (funny guy).  He did tell me Vinny could come to visit, and we would work on coming out the next day.  We have never been apart for very long, when I had the transfusion I refused to stay the night and left as soon as it was finished.  The other thing is the hospital in my town doesn't do surgery so we are going into the city, not totally a bad thing my sister lives there and has a room set up for me when I get out.  I just don't know how my poor Vince will do, the longest we have been apart is 4 hours and he is a true mama's boy.
WOW reading back I am rambling.  I will finish this off before I start deleting stuff, I really would like to hear from those of you that have had this surgery.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101833
[/QUOTE]
I have no experience to offer, just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery and to remind you that there are lots of good thoughts comming to you and Vinnie.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I never had the surgery but this isn't the first time that I've heard ppl say "it's the BEST thing they have done." I guess one of the hardest things to overcome is letting your dreams of having a skin kid go...unless you decide to adopt (skin kids or more furkids
).

Take care and good luck!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Aww, sorry you're going through this. Thats great that vinny gets to visit. Vinny will be fine, and when you get home he'll be sooo happy to see you and he'll be there to give you constant support and cuddles. I haven't had that surgery, but I can reassure you about coming out of anesthesia. Apparently, when I had my wisdom teeth removed, I pleasantly rested until a nurse proceeded to try and get me to get out of the bed and move to a chair, at which point I told her she was a *****, you fill in the blank, and dozed back off. Anyway, my mom said I was just too groggy at the time to care for anyone but myself. So....you'll just be sleepy and cuss alot, no biggie. Seriously though, I wish you all the best and I hope the doctor lets you go home when you want.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Theresa, I have no experience with the surgery, but I do with the no children part. Although it is on my husbands side that I can't have children, I just wanted to say that most times I still feel very blessed for only having the 4 legged variety. Parents certainly have it very tough these days, and I don't have to worry about "It's 10:00, do you know where your kids are?" Mine will never leave home! I envy Moms, but I think sometimes, they envy us too! I always figured God knew what he was doing, so why complain?

I will keep you in my prayers for minimal pain, and a speedy recovery. Sounds like you have a great support system with family! God bless you! Jean

1 - 20 of 26 Posts