Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think this one is going to become a little trouble maker because as soon as one problem is solved another arrises. well i saw him swallow something. it was very small, about one millimeter in diameter, and it was metal. he keeps on hacking like how a cat coughs up hairballs. i am worried that this whatever he swllowed won't pass through his system. will this small object be able to pass through his system?

·
Registered
21 Posts
My little girl always has her nose on the floor and licks everything she finds. She has also cough when eating something from the floor. I use to pay a lot of attention for this but noticed that after a while she would cough just to get me to pick her up. Now when she does it, I tell her to stop and she coughs because she ate something nasty from the floor. I think your dog will be ok, just keep a close eye on her.

·
Registered
994 Posts
well if you think its a metal piece maybe you should bring her to the vet
Maxi and i have been having a struggle of late i notice when we go for our walks he is starting to pick up stuff and chew i have caught him a few times and you would laugh if you saw us out in the street struggling with eachother he lays on the ground and hides his mouth and i try and open it up its comical

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it has become more serious now. now he is "diarheaing" and it sounds like he is throwing up like he is trying to clear his throat. i guess this is the time to take him to a vet.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You should definitly take your dog to the vet. A metal piece will not disolve and it will cause a lot of trouble to a little puppy. It might be life treathening.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Oh, gosh. Please let us know how littlepaws is........

Pico is pretty good about not putting things in his mouth unless it smells like food. I did teach him "leave it" early on but use it so little he's probably forgotten it. It came in handy when he was a puppy and would go over to sniff a dead bird or cat poop or some such other thing.

To teach "leave it" you put a halter and leash on the dog and place a treat on the floor close enough for him to want it but far enough that he can't really get it. (you NEVER let him get it.....if he is faster than you and does get it into his mouth you MUST take it out) When he goes to get the treat, say "leave it!", pull him gently back and then give him a treat out of your hand.

They graduate from Puppy Obedience when they can "leave" a piece of steak!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the vet said that the metal piece will come out of his system soon. the vet also said that he will be fine. and the diarhea was probrably from over feeding him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts