Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She attacked Pup last nite. :angry:
Apparently she has food guarding issues. She was laying next to the food and Pup came over and proceeded to get a drink of water. Well this was too much for her, she bared her teeth and growled and jumped Pup. This all happened in a matter of seconds. Thank God I was standing there. No harm to anyone, but I guess being seniors doesn't mean they have lost all their spunk.
The food will have to be put away as soon as they are all done eating.
oh brother!

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Scary, isn't it! :w00t: I remember when i first got Ava, Tinker attacked her about half a dozen times!!!! Thank goodness, they've worked things out.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Aww Miss Nora...that's not very ladylike!

Glad you were there Mary Beth. We have these issues when my mother's dog is around. He resource guards around Benny and Emma. We just have to stay on top of him when food/bones/etc are around. I hope Nora will learn in time that she is safe and doesn't have to resource guard.

·
Premium Member
24,174 Posts
I remember a few months after we got B&B, she was laying on my bed I went to move something and she tried to bite me:w00t: I was shocked, she never tried again, she would growl but when I firmly told her no she stopped. So hopefully Nora will be the same way

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
It happens so fast too, around the food. I never had food issues when I had two. I was also just feeding kibble at that time, and maybe it just wasn't very exciting. But now with three, and the yummy new food I have been feeding the three, we have had a couple of showdowns! And it dosen't seem to matter who. Somtimes Frankie will get mad at Lola, and sometimes Truffs will get mad at Lola. It is usually because Lola eats really fast (nick name Mrs. Hoover) and tries to see if she can help them finish! I have been remembering what JMM told me. It is my job to make sure Lola is not allowed to shark the other two dogs. So, now when she is done, she goes out until the other two have finished. Seems to be working.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Oh, that had to be scarey. I am so sorry. I know MANY will disagree with me, especially the experts, and I respect that. I have always had 2 malts at the same time, with the exception of when we just had Kara (RIP).

I have always had them share their food and water bowl, hoping to aviod any guarding issues.

I did this for a number of reasons. When we would add an addition, of course the pup would follow the leader, that being their new older sybling, and would help encourage them to eat.

Mia and Leo eat and drink together, Leo will begin his meal, and Mia will nibble, and then will go away and come back for about a 20 minute span, to get more. But they start out together.

I know this is all wrong, but it has always worked for me and I watch who is eating what, and how much.

I don't know if this prevents guarding issues, but I never had any. I try and teach them to share everything.

Chewies, is another story. Mia wants Leo's and Leo just wants Leos, but if he even sees that shes in the same room as him, when he has his chewy, he will growl, but if she takes it off of him, which I try and prevent, he just stares. But I am working on that situation.

Same thing with giving kisses to me. Niether pushes the other out of the way, they know to share, one on one side of me and the other one, on the other.

I know this goes against all the rules, but it has always worked for me.

When I had Flakey, and my Tina Marie, had kidney failure, oh heavens to get her to eat, but if she saw Flakey eating, she would join him, even though, she wasn't well.

I just always feared, that if I fed them separately, then they would know, that that particular feeding, was theirs and theirs alone, and if the other went to sniffy the others food, I didn't want the guarding to take place, so I start them out sharing.

So sorry this happened to you, and believe me, my way, goes against all that is taught, but I never ran into a food guarding issue, but it could also be their personalities. I don't know.

I am sure you will figure something out. You must have been shocked. Good luck and hugs.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all your kind thoughts, so far nothing else has happened. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts