Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used this item? The bottle of cleaner says keep away from children and pets, yet I'm assuming it's ok once it dries. I'm calling procter and gamble in the am.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Ke Ke I have one and use it all the time, I just keep Scooby off the floor till it dries and he has never become ill or anything from it.
I think what it means is to keep the bottle away from pets and children as it may be harmful if swallowed in large amounts

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I don't use any cleaner on the floor without rinsing with a clear water rinse after cleaning. The chemicals remain after the floor dries. If it is dangerous for children and pets when wet then I would assume it is dangerous when dry as well. Walking on the dry floor they can pick up the chemical residue then lick their feet.......

When ever I clean the floor I just rinse it with clear water after, better safe than sorry.

A year or so ago there was a rash of email alerts about pets acrually dying from the Swiffer Wet jet cleaner. I believe that was debunked as an "urban legend" but I still worry about the long term effect of any chemical exposure. This site from ASPCA indicates that the swiffer is safe but I'm just one those "overly" cautious people....
http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?page=NewsA...ws_iv_ctrl=1400

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I have one and really like it. There is a another brand that allows your to refill the bottle with whatever cleaner you want. I think it is Clorex but I'm not sure. My aunt ended up getting that one and like it.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I use a Hoover Floormate to clean my tile floors. I like that I can use very hot water and that I control the mixture of chemicals (I usually use vinegar and water....my husband calls it a floor douche, gross, I know). I also rinse the floors with diluted bleach and water. I love this machine. You can buy it at Bed Bath and Beyond for around $170 and then use their 20% off coupon. I like the fact that it actually scrubs the floor and that it only uses clean water...it sucks up the dirty water and the two tanks don't mix. It is amazing how dirty the water is when you're done. But my kitchen passes the white socks (not the Chicago kind) test...the bottom of their socks never turn gray or worse. I am actually on my second Floormate. I have one for my upstairs too. Oh, and one other thing, you can use it as kind of a dust buster because it is a vacuum too.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Oct 23 2005, 04:37 PM
I use a Hoover Floormate to clean my tile floors.  I like that I can use very hot water and that I control the mixture of chemicals (I usually use vinegar and water....my husband calls it a floor douche, gross, I know). 
OMG, I laughed so hard at that...that was too funny....

I'm definitely looking into one of those...sounds great!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Oct 23 2005, 03:37 PM
I use a Hoover Floormate to clean my tile floors.  I like that I can use very hot water and that I control the mixture of chemicals (I usually use vinegar and water....my husband calls it a floor douche, gross, I know).  I also rinse the floors with diluted bleach and water.  I love this machine.  You can buy it at Bed Bath and Beyond for around $170 and then use their 20% off coupon.  I like the fact that it actually scrubs the floor and that it only uses clean water...it sucks up the dirty water and the two tanks don't mix.  It is amazing how dirty the water is when you're done.  But my kitchen passes the white socks (not the Chicago kind) test...the bottom of their socks never turn gray or worse.  I am actually on my second Floormate.  I have one for my upstairs too.  Oh, and one other thing, you can use it as kind of a dust buster because it is a vacuum too.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112649
[/QUOTE]I have been wanting one of those. How does it work on tile? I have lots of tile with fairly wide grout lines and was wondering if it would clean that as well?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I love my Floormates. I have a large kitchen 20x30 feet and it is all tile with a tumbled marble border. I love this machine because it does all the heavy scrubbing for you. You just use it like a vacuum cleaner and it washes and sucks the water back up for you. It doesn't completely dry the floor in my kitchen because it is more textured, but it dries in no time because there is very little water left standing on the floor. I am obsessive about my grout and I have a ton of it...I have a 9" wide tumbled marble mosaic border all around the kitchen. I seal the grout once a year, and I use a Mr. Clean magic eraser to keep the lines looking good. The newer model of the Floormate has some sort of grout cleaning tool on it. I'll probably break down and get another one. I have the original one that came out about 6 or 7 years ago, and one that I got as a gift two years ago. If you buy at Bed Bath and Beyond, you can take it home try it and if it doesn't work for you, you can bring it back. The one thing I do caution you on is that it is a bit heavy to use because there is no self-propelling mechanism.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Oct 23 2005, 03:37 PM
I use a Hoover Floormate to clean my tile floors.  I like that I can use very hot water and that I control the mixture of chemicals (I usually use vinegar and water....my husband calls it a floor douche, gross, I know).  I also rinse the floors with diluted bleach and water.  I love this machine.  You can buy it at Bed Bath and Beyond for around $170 and then use their 20% off coupon.  I like the fact that it actually scrubs the floor and that it only uses clean water...it sucks up the dirty water and the two tanks don't mix.  It is amazing how dirty the water is when you're done.  But my kitchen passes the white socks (not the Chicago kind) test...the bottom of their socks never turn gray or worse.  I am actually on my second Floormate.  I have one for my upstairs too.  Oh, and one other thing, you can use it as kind of a dust buster because it is a vacuum too.
[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm.....I might like one of those....I HATE to mop!
This might make it better...

Can you use it on hardwood/laminate? We are considering replacing our carpet.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Oct 23 2005, 06:02 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-saltymalty
@Oct 23 2005, 03:37 PM

Hmmmm.....I might like one of those....I HATE to mop!
This might make it better...

Can you use it on hardwood/laminate? We are considering replacing our carpet.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112682
[/B][/QUOTE]
Personally, I wouldn't use it on hardwood floors....only because I use my swiffer (regular, dry) or vacuum and spot wipe. I have pre-finished sealed floors and still I am afraid that water and wood won't mix. But people do use it on their HW floors. As far as laminate goes, I have a vinyl floor in my 3rd floor bathroom and I use it there all the time with no problem. Actually, that's the one floor that does get instantly dried by the FM. It does a great job and really gets it to shine. Everyone thinks that floor is tile, it looks so good when it's clean.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
I have been wondering about one of those machines. I always vaccum all the floors and mop the tile floors before I bathe Sassy. I can't stand for her to smell dusty
With just me and my husband home we don't get much grit on the floors, just dust and such. I was wondering if I could do my tile floors in one easy step. Do you pre vaccum before you use the FloorMate?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy@Oct 23 2005, 05:55 PM
I have been wondering about one of those machines. I always vaccum all the floors and mop the tile floors before I bathe Sassy. I can't stand for her to smell dusty
With just me and my husband home we don't get much grit on the floors, just dust and such. I was wondering if I could do my tile floors in one easy step. Do you pre vaccum before you use the FloorMate?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112692
[/QUOTE]
Oh good question! I hadn't even thought about not having to vacuum first. That would be super.......!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Baxter and Wally's Mom+Oct 24 2005, 04:05 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Sassy's mommy
@Oct 23 2005, 05:55 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112692
Oh good question! I hadn't even thought about not having to vacuum first. That would be super.......!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113073
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I HATE pre-vacuuming before I mop!

Tell us please!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I probably shouldn't admit to this...but sometimes I don't pre-vacuum...I just run the machine. I will caution though if you have a very dirty floor or have tons of crumbs and big globs of dirt, you're best to vacuum or sweep up first....but you really don't have to be too careful. This thing does suck it all up. There is a filter that has to be changed but they are readily available. I'd say a filter is good for a couple of months.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I use the swifter wet jet and have never had any problems with Abbey getting sick from it.
I love it but now I'm considering the hoover since reading the other reviews!

Saltymalty, does it run by electricity or batteries? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Abbey@Oct 25 2005, 08:57 AM
I use the swifter wet jet and have never had any problems with Abbey getting sick from it. 
  I love it but now I'm considering the hoover since reading the other reviews!

Saltymalty, does it run by electricity or batteries?  Thanks.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113221
[/QUOTE]
It runs by electricity. There is a pretty long cord and it plugs into a three prong just like a regular vacuum.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
OK... I need advice. In my master bath I have white tile and white grout. Well, the grout used to be white... it needs a good cleaning. Is it OK to use the magic eraser or will it weaken the grout? If I get a Hoover Floormate should I use the vinegar and water mixture to clean it and then what do I seal it with. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Oct 25 2005, 11:35 AM
OK... I need advice. In my master bath I have white tile and white grout. Well, the grout used to be white... it needs a good cleaning. Is it OK to use the magic eraser or will it weaken the grout? If I get a Hoover Floormate should I use the vinegar and water mixture to clean it and then what do I seal it with.  Thanks!!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113281
[/QUOTE]
I consider myself to be the obsessive/compulsive grout queen....first try magic eraser. That will not weaken the grout. Test it in a small spot first. If that doesn't work, you can use a Clorox bleach pen and go along the grout lines. Let that sit at least 30 minutes, then rinse with plain water. If that doesn't work, you can actually buy grout paint...it works particularly well on white grout. But honestly, I've never had to resort to using those products. To seal, I just use silicone grout seal with a foam brush. You just paint it along the grout lines. One final suggestion (what I should have done in my downstairs bathroom) regrout using black grout. If you have white tile, black or grey grout looks amazing. I did this in a kitchen in my old, premarriage days. On the vinegar and water, I mix my own...2 oz. per tank full. You can use other cleaners in the machine as long as they aren't pine based (not sure why that is).

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Oct 25 2005, 11:53 AM
One final suggestion (what I should have done in my downstairs bathroom) regrout using black grout.  If you have white tile, black or grey grout looks amazing.  I<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113355
[/QUOTE]

One note about this- it depends on the type of tile you have. If it's porcelain it's best not to use a dark grout (if you have a light colored tile), because porcelain is porous and will soak in the grout and can discolor your tiles.

There is also a grout pen you can buy, it actually has some grout in it, and works like a paint pen. Those are awesome if you have some serious discoloration or cracked grout. You get can get them at Home Depot.

I have found that all I have to use is the magic eraser and occassionaly the bleach pen.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
You are right...there is a special step that they do where the edge of the tile is sealed. Those paint pens do work, but I find the magic eraser does a nice job and the dirt is gone, not just covered up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts