Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today it is SO hot in Arizona so we are going to open the pool and go swimming! Maya hasnt been but last year Rocky our yorkie LOVED to swim!! I am still deciding if I want to bring Maya out because of her white coat and pink skin, I defiintely need to put sunscreen on her. Does anyone else take their babies swimming?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by BrookeB676@May 21 2005, 02:14 PM
Today it is SO hot in Arizona so we are going to open the pool and go swimming! Maya hasnt been but last year Rocky our yorkie LOVED to swim!! I am still deciding if I want to bring Maya out because of her white coat and pink skin, I defiintely need to put sunscreen on her. Does anyone else take their babies swimming?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64102
[/QUOTE]

Maybe Maya can learn to swim in the evening when the sun has gone down... ??

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
is there any shade? maybe stay in the shade? that sucks if your pool doesnt have an umbrella or something near the pool.

or is this your private pool??? CUZ IM JEALOUS!!

i've seen these triangle shade thing that they sell in brookstone magazine. it gives a lot of shade.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
jongee has tried swimming for 5 seconds, she hated it in my friends pool, i was holding her with both hands anyway so she could be save..her hair was real long too so the water held her down coz of her coat

ive read horror stories of malts drowning in swimming pools and i definately wouldnt encouarage it, but thats just me
i dont have a pool anyway

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i think all dogs should learn how to swim...even if they dont like it. just in case, you know?

maybe put on a doggy life vest...that would help keep the sun away too.

i want to teach the dogs how to swim too.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sunny didnt like swimming but I did finally teach him how and he didnt seem to hate it. I just thought I had to because we have a big pond in our yard and I didnt want him falling in not knowing how to swim.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well my yorkie LOVES to swim, Rocky likes to get his ball, Haley will stay in the pool for a few minutes on a float. Swimming isnt dangerous if they are being supervised, Rocky wont even jump in unless we are right there at the side, he likes us to hold on to his waist while he jumps in, then he goes to get his ball, then he swims to the steps. We have a gate around our pool with plastic wire stuff so there is no way they could drown if we arent swimming, plus they are never left alone outside so they couldnt go into the pool side. I didnt bring Maya out today because it was WAY to hot in Arizona, in fact we only let Rocky stay out for about 4 minutes. Believe it or not, most dogs have a natural paddling instinct when they are in water, anyways, here is a picture of Rocky swimming last summer

I also dont know how Maya's coat would act with the chlorine since it is white, Im going to ask my groomer on Tuesday, although I dont think Maya would like it

also, the vet said that Rocky is one of the strongest small dogs he has seen because he swims, it is unbelievable how strong Rocky is

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
omg... those pictures are soooo adorable!
I wanna go for a swim too.. the water looks nice!

Kodie is tooo prissy when it comes to water! I think he would have a nervous break down if I ever put him in a pool.
:lol: haha...

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
my cousin has a jack russell dog....and they let him drink the pool water!!! the dog started pooing white...and the vet said "if it doesnt kill him, he's fine"
i was like "wtf??" i told my mom to tell my aunt that he should get a new vet!

OH, do you watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. they had this one episode that they made this little girl a pool with MINERAL WATER. so there's no chlorine. the girl had a disease....i forget what. but she couldnt have chlorine.

sooo, if that mineral water is safer all around---i hope to get a pool someday with it.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
thats funny you should mention it, just last night i started teaching lucy how to swim
of course, she hated it.. but we'll keep trying and maybe she'll get used to it.

my good girl swam all the way from my sister to me to get to me though
and then right over to the stairs and OUT of the water!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@May 23 2005, 04:04 PM
my good girl swam all the way from my sister to me to get to me though 
and then right over to the stairs and OUT of the water! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64534
[/QUOTE]
I can picture that!

Peanut likes to swim. I got a bottle of leave in conditioner that has sunscreen in it from the vet's office. I never tried swimming with Tic, but I'm kinda iffy about how he'll handle it. Tic's just so hyper that I can see him just thrashing around... :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sisse hates taking a bath so much I would be afraid to just completely freak her out by putting her in the pool......Anybody have one that hates the bath but loves the pool??

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I would love to try taking Lexi swimming put there is no place around here with pools that allow dogs. If we go swimming this summer I might try taking her in the lake. Last year I had to give her a bath anyway. So might as well try swimming before the bath.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Sampson went swimming one time in a pool at the beach years ago, I eased him into it just to make sure his "doggy paddle" worked incase of any accidents, he also like to walk out into the ocean but not far and I keep him on a leash when he does, we just bought one of the 18' round "soft side" pools for our backyard so when we get it filled up I may put him and Maggie in there to see how they like it

·
Registered
179 Posts
My first Maltese, Chumley was okay with a bath, and LOVED the ocean (off season) and we actually have a pic of him with all 4 paws off the ground running on the beach! :new_Eyecrazy:

My two babies now have only been in the pool a few times, but seem to like it. It takes two of us. One to manage each. On really hot days, they doggie paddle a while, then get out and shake. They DO NOT LIKE baths however. I think because they hate water on their heads. Swimming, they keep their heads and eyes above water.

After a swim, I usually wash them to get off the chlorine, and I usually conditon them with an avacado oil based conditioner. I have never had any probs with sun or chlorine, both have pretty thick coats even though I keep them in puppy cuts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts