Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I am slow to get with the times. I'm still using dial up and not having any real problems with it, other than it is so slow at times. I currently use AOL as my ISP and am thinking of switching to SBC DSL. The only thing that keeps me from doing it is the hassle of switching everything over to a new account (e.g., my e-mail addresses, Favorite Places, etc.). Has anyone done this? Was it a huge problem? I am looking for pros and cons. What about price? I currently pay something like $24 or $25 a month for dial up with AOL. Is the DSL more expensive?

I'd like to hear anyone's opinion--positive or negative.

Thanks!

~Nichole

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Usually DSL is around $50 (after the promotion period the ISP is offering). DSL was great for me when I was in CA.

My preferred ISP was Earthlink. The customer service is great and the service was rarely interrupted. I'll tell u more about it after my lunch break with hubby. gotta run!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I just changed from AOL dial up to my cable broadband (Cox cable) I love the speed, I can't imagine going back to dial up
I kept AOL also and switched it to broadband service for $14.95 a month, because I really loved AOL and all the features I had. I don't like the mail programs on other services, I am spoiled by all the AOL features for E-mail and didn't want to lose my E-mail and all the other perks I had on AOL. Since I swithed my phone service over to Cox as well I now have cable, phone and internet service through them and I am still saving $40.00 a month from what I paid when I had dial up due to discounts etc. having all my services through one company. I used to have two phone lines and now I only need one with broadband. So for me it is now cheaper a month and I love high speed

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i always used an email service that was online instead of using the one that came with the plan b/c i was always switching...but if u have a complete address book its easy to send everyone an email saying it has changed
u wont regret the switch
i have cox cable and i love it

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I have MediaCom cable internet. I know people that have Qwest DSL and love it. In fact my parents are thinking of switching. Prices start around $24.

I just read that Yahoo and Verizon just announced a partnership today. They have a DSL now, prices starting at $14.95 a month. Verizon

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I switched from aol to a cable modem. Its about $25.00 a month. I think I was paying about $22.00 aol with dial up. The cable modem is great much faster no more dial up. I have hotmail as my email address, I had no changes to worry about. I would never go back to dial up.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Karen542@Aug 24 2005, 12:54 PM
I switched from aol to a cable modem.  Its about $25.00 a month.  I think I was paying about $22.00 aol with dial up.  The cable modem is great much faster no more dial up.  I have hotmail as my email address, I had no changes to worry about.  I would never go back to dial up.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93686
[/QUOTE]
Your cable is only $25?! Mine is $39.99 a month for the first 12 months. Then it goes up to $50 a month

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Aug 24 2005, 12:59 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Karen542
@Aug 24 2005, 12:54 PM
I switched from aol to a cable modem.  Its about $25.00 a month.  I think I was paying about $22.00 aol with dial up.  The cable modem is great much faster no more dial up.  I have hotmail as my email address, I had no changes to worry about.  I would never go back to dial up.
Your cable is only $25?! Mine is $39.99 a month for the first 12 months. Then it goes up to $50 a month

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93688
[/B][/QUOTE]
I just had the telephone repair man here (grrrr...two days with non-working phones) and he was telling me that SBC is running a deal that it is $15 for the first year and then if you sign back up for the second year it is $25.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole+Aug 24 2005, 01:01 PM-->
Originally posted by Lexi's [email protected] 24 2005, 12:59 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Karen542
@Aug 24 2005, 12:54 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93688

[/QUOTE]
I just had the telephone repair man here (grrrr...two days with non-working phones) and he was telling me that SBC is running a deal that it is $15 for the first year and then if you sign back up for the second year it is $25.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93689
[/B][/QUOTE]
Yeah. It is only offered in some areas. If you got to their site you can enter your phone number and see if it is offered in your.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
You're not alone!
I also still have the old AOL Dial up! We are seriously thinking about switching to cable though. Our friend just switched and like everyone else would never go back. She kept AOL for additional $9.00 a month. I'm hoping to talk my husband into that, too. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference in speed!
Everything is so slow right now!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I never had dial up so I cant tell the difference, but I am with Comcast and I am very please with the service. The big problem is the price. In the beggining they are very accomodating and give you all kinds of discounts but once you hit the real price is kind of expensive. We got our Cable (digital basic)and our Internet with the same them and we are paying $98 per month. So yes the service is great but the price is not.. or should we say the price is greater????

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have Comcast cable modem (they might just be out West). It is something like $45.99 if you have their T.V. cable service, and $49.99 without.

I do have a tip of all of you- once our 'trial period' of $20/mo was over my boyfriend called to cancel our extended cable T.V. service and downgrade. They wanted to keep us so badly they gave us a special discount price again for 6 months!

With all these cable and DSL companies their 'monly rate' is just a starting point for negotiations!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Once you have high speed it is very, very hard to even consider dialup again. We've had cable and currently use DSL. I can't tell any difference in the speed. I've had an AOL account for more than 10 years and have kept it all along. I never even check the mail on my DSL account. I've had the same email address for so long that I just can't bear to have to change it. While we've been working at our daughter's condo we had to use dialup until she got the cable people out here to hook up the internet and it was really hard. Stuff from this site loads so much slower. Just wait till you change over! You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have SBC DSL and i Love it. I was a little miffed cause the month after i got it they lowered the intro price and then the month my year of intro was up and it went up they lowered the price again and the extra year price. I keep saying i need to call them but I haven't a friend of mine did and told them she was going to cancell because her yearly price was more than they are offering now and she could get cable for a year intro for less than thiers and she was a loyal costumer and that is crappy how they make loyal ones pay more and they lowered hers. So i need to try that lol

When I changed there is a think on there where you can transfer everything from your address book and inbox at the old email to your new one in a snap. it does it all for you if you want. As far as my favorites that switched right over to without me doing it. It had a pop up that said do you want to keep your favorites and I said yes and it did.

And then it gives you a thing to email you address book your new email.

I love mine and don't want to ever go back. Also they give you a lot of space on your email so that is nice.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by HollyHobbie@Aug 24 2005, 03:55 PM
When I changed there is a think on there where you can transfer everything from your address book and inbox at the old email to your new one in a snap. it does it all for you if you want. As far as my favorites that switched right over to without me doing it. It had a pop up that said do you want to keep your favorites and I said yes and it did.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93746
[/QUOTE]
There are a lot of email programs let you do this. Here is what i found in the gmail help section:
Here's how to export (or find additional information on exporting) the address book from other webmail services and email clients into Gmail's Contacts list. Please note that it isn't currently possible to export a CSV file from Gmail.

Learn the basics of importing contacts by viewing a brief demo (requires Macromedia® Flash) or by reading the instructions below.

[ Yahoo! - Hotmail - Outlook and Outlook Express - orkut - AOL - Others ]

* Yahoo!: To import your Yahoo! Mail address book, save your file as a Yahoo! CSV. Instructions are available in the Yahoo! Address Book help section at: http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ab/impexp/

* Hotmail: Here's one way to export your contacts from Hotmail to Gmail:
          o Using Internet Explorer: Sign in to your Hotmail account.
          o Click the 'Contacts' tab.
          o Click 'Print view.'
          o Align the cursor with the first letter of the 'Name' column.
          o Highlight your contacts by holding down the cursor and dragging it down the list.
          o Hold down the 'Control + c' keys to copy the list.
          o Open Microsoft Excel (or a similar spreadsheet program that supports comma separated values).
          o Select cell A1 in Excel (the top square on the left side).
          o Hold down the 'Control + v' keys to paste (don't use 'Paste Special').
          o Choose 'Save as' from the 'File' menu, and select the type 'CSV (Comma delimited).' Make a note of where you saved the file.

o Using Mozilla or Firefox: Sign in to your Hotmail account.
          o Click the 'Contacts' tab.
          o Click 'Print view.'
          o Align the cursor with the first letter of the 'Name' column.
          o Highlight your contacts by holding down the cursor and dragging it down the list.
          o Hold down the 'Control + c' keys to copy the list.
          o Open Microsoft Excel (or a similar spreadsheet program that supports comma separated values).
          o Select cell A1 in Excel (the top square on the left side).
          o Right click in cell A1 and select 'Paste Special.'
          o Select 'Text,' and click 'OK.'
          o Choose 'Save as' from the 'File' menu, and select the type 'CSV (Comma delimited).' Make a note of where you saved the file.

* Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express: Here are some general directions to follow, though instructions may vary by version. For more detailed instructions, open 'Help' in Outlook or Outlook Express and type 'export' in the search box. Look for topics that include 'export wizard,' 'export information,' 'exporting contacts' or 'exporting address book contacts' in the title.
      From Outlook:
          o Select File > Import/Export > Export from the main menu
          o Choose Comma Separated Values (Windows) > Select "Contacts" > Save exported file

From Outlook Express:
          o Select File > Export > Address Book from the main menu.
          o Select Text File (Comma Separated Values).
          o Click Export.

* orkut: Log in to your account, then click 'Friends' along the top navigation. Next, click 'Download your contacts' on the bottom of the page to save your contacts as a CSV file.

* AOL: AOL doesn't have the functionality to export your address book, so you'll have to create a custom CSV file if you use this service.

* Others: Refer to your service or client help section for information on how to export your address book. If you have trouble uploading a file in to Gmail, you may need to open the file in Excel, alter the columns and/or headers, and then save the file as .csv.[/B]

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by Abbey@Aug 24 2005, 02:23 PM
You're not alone!
  I also still have the old AOL Dial up!  We are seriously thinking about switching to cable though.  Our friend just switched and like everyone else would never go back.  She kept AOL for additional $9.00 a month.  I'm hoping to talk my husband into that, too.  I'm looking forward to seeing the difference in speed!
  Everything is so slow right now!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93696
[/QUOTE]

When I had switched over to cable high speed I missed a promo that AOL was having for $7.95 a month, I am hoping they have another special again. I really enjoy all the features of AOL, that is one reason it took me so long to change, but I am so glad I did
The speed is great and you get to watch video clips that you can't with dial up and photo downloads are a breeze now too. Now I have the speed and I still have all my features of AOL that I am so used to, plus more now that we have high speed

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I finally got around to calling the phone company last week to set up the DSL. So after much chatting with the woman, she tells me that the modem will be $50, but I get a $50 rebate (I will never understand this--why not just give it to me for free?) and my bill will be $15 a month. Much better than my AOL dial up which I am paying $24 a month. So I tell her to go ahead and send it all to me. Then she is like, "Okay there are a few questions I have to ask." Then proceeds to ask if I have a security system on my house--I do. She tells me that since they both use underlying signals of the phone, they need to send out a technician and that will be $200! I was like, "No thanks!" I can't believe it! So no DSL for me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know Yahoo goes though the phone line, does cable internet?
I have SBC Yahoo for $15. After swithing from Aol dial up I think it is worth the $200. It is sooo much faster.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Wow 200 $ for the technician to come out. We have a security system and I did not know that this could be a problem. I am on cable tho. Cable is more expensive then 15 $/month but has a faster speed then DSL at 15 $. If I am not mistaken, SBC has 2 or 3 different speeds they offer. But even tho it's slower then cable or their highest speed, it's certainly a huge improvement over dial-up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts