Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I feel a little guilty. I had Ramsey on Welness and well I was struggling to get him to eat. For the last 2 months I've doctored up the food enough to get him to eat at least 1/3 cup (which I knew was not enough). Then the other night he wouldn't touch it at all and went the whole day without eating. Tonight I decided to get sample bags of Acana Grasslands and Orijen 6. I tried to mix a little of the Acana with the Welness and wouldn't you know Ramsey picked every piece of the Acana out and left the Welness. I feel bad I left him go that long with food he didn't like. So what should I do about trying to start him slow if he doesn't eat the Welness?

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Mine also tried to pick out all of the new food when I was switching them over, and I knew they would get upset stomachs so I fed it to them as treats for a few days, and then transitioned it. :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I agree with Nikkismom, give you malt what he likes.
Mine NEVER liked Wellness and I kept at it through to the end of the entire bag. She likes Acana too.
I never transitioned. Just went straight to Acana without any digestive upset. I have tried many pet foods too and never transitioned.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
I think I read somewhere that these dogs would rather starve than to eat what they do not like Baci is very picky so when I just a few weeks ago switched him from Merrick to Dr Harvey s I was so happy that he ate it all no problem
My suggestion would also be give him what he likes

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hi I will have to also transition soon, I found a food you can sprinkle on its Eagle Pack Transition and once you open it you put in the fridge, haven't tried it yet but its a probiotic. Max just had his man hood taken away so I have been giving him his kibble and chicken homade.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
From what my food "guru" told me at our local health pet food store if the food is a human-grade type food, which I have been told both Acana and Orijen are, your baby will not have trouble switching. Unless Ramsey has a very sensitive stomach, I agree with just giving it to him without switching slowly. If Ramsey did okay on the little bit you have given him already, I see no reason not to switch. Just keep an eye on him when it is time to go outside.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Perfect thanks all, makes me feel so much better! I gave him some more Acana this morning and it's the first time since I got him that he's ate breakfast! His tummy did good last night, so here's hoping that full out switching will not make him sick. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.