Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pup has pretty bad tear staining and I've thought about switching him to Homecooked Food. I don't really have time to make sure I'd have something on hand all of the time and I'm considering getting a case of Paw Naturaw. Have any of you used it before?

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I'm cross posting this from another thread:

The American Animal Hospital Association has appointed a committee of veterinarians at veterinary schools, veterinarians in animal hospitals, and vet. techs to create canine nutrition guidelines for veterinarians and pet owners. These nutrition guidelines are to incorporate the latest in nutritional and medical information and are due to be published sometime this Summer. They have June as a target publication date.

I'll be SO glad to see what they recommend. There is SO much misinformation online about canine nutrition.

Please keep in mind:

When your vet. recommends certain foods, that the vet. has probably had at a minimum of a semester long course in nutrition. The information learned in that nutrition course has been gleaned from many, many years of nutrition studies done both at veterinary schools and even human medical schools. These studies are not just done in the US, but around the world.

There are regulatory and consulting agencies in the US who research and oversee animal nutritional requirements, like the Association of American Feed Control Officials, the American College of Veterinary Nutrition, and the Food and Drug Administration.

Yes, there's collaboration between some dog food companies and veterinary schools and personally I'm glad. It tells me something positive about a dog food company who has consulted veterinary professors for advice. Also, it tells me something positive about a dog food company who has done nutritional testing for years and years and their food has been proven to be nutritionally complete and balanced. This is why I don't like trying new companies who haven't had time to do their testing.

I rotate foods but I always try to feed a dog food that says on the AAFCO nutrition statement:

Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that this food for dogs provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.

Please make sure if you are feeding home prepared meals that you are feeding a menu approved by a CERTIFIED veterinary nutritionist or you could be feeding your dog a nutritionally deficient diet.

Joy

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Get Dr Becker's Book if you want to do it yourself. She's a veterinarian. In the book, she has recipes that you can feed raw, or cook. (And yes, her recipes are within the AAFCO standards, if that means something to you.) Here's a link: Welcome to Dogwise.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts