Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea if Poppy's tail has been this way or not. :blush:

This morning while grooming him, I noticed that his tail has a little crook right at the very end. Is this normal?

You don't notice it all, until you feel it.

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
God, now I'm scared. I Googled it and keep coming up with people talking about their dog's broken tails. :unsure:

I swear I think I would have noticed this before. I am freaking ... what if we did something that broke his tail? :(

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Jules - please don't worry. Poppy isn't in pain, right? You're not showing him right? I don't think it's dangerous and obviously not noticeable since you didn't see it but felt it. Things happen and we sometimes have no idea how. Is he his happy little self? When my son was 2 he fell in the playground and cried. We thought it was nothing. A few days later he said it hurt and we took him to the doctor. It was a green twig fracture. I felt like a terrible parent but the doctor told us how common it was. He was in a cast for a while and fine. Things just happen.

·
Registered
847 Posts
If he doesn't seem like he's in pain, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Anything could happen to that teeny tiny little tail. Does he react when you touch it?

I'd call the vet just to be safe, but I wouldn't panic.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had to walk away for a few minutes ... I just feel sick. :(

No, I had no plans to show him ... but the thought that we *might* have hurt him, just makes me ill.

He is napping right now, but when he gets up, I'll see if there's any reaction when I touch it.

God, Kevin is going to freak out ... oh, and Sarah is probably going to want to kill me. I just feel sick.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
i'm sure he's fine. It was probably like that when you got him. If you couldn't tell by looking and it doesn't bother him....it shouldn't bother you either!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've called Sarah, and will see what she says when she calls me back.

He's up now ... I felt it, sort of squeezed it ... and even sort of bent it back towards a straight mode ... and he did not react at all.

Should I take him to the vet? Just to be safe?

He's had such a fascination with his tail, and chasing it ... I wonder if it's something he did? He is currently rolling around biting it right this moment.

It does not bother me at all (as long as it doesn't bother him) ... heck, I am as defective as they come!! I just want to make sure he is healthy, and that it won't cause him problems down the road.

HUGz! Jules

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
Hannah has a slight crook near the tip of her tail. It's not noticable & doesn't bother her.It's always been that way since I've had her. I think it's just where her tail hits her back & kinda got a crook because it had nowhere to go but to the side a bit.I can wiggle it,straighten it,she doesn't notice a thing. Hope that makes you feel a bit better.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He's fine! Stop staring at him you're scaring him LOL (I hope you can laugh at that because that's what I do to my dogs)
JMM, I am trying to chill about it. I can be neurotic about stuff like this. I always say that is why God did not give me human kids ... I'd drive a pediatrician to drink for sure!!

We've always had a little zig in our zag here, so I guess Poppy's tail fits right in now. :HistericalSmiley:

As Sarah has said, he really does have such a beautiful tail set ... and you don't see the crook at all. She still hasn't called ... I just hope she doesn't freak out on me. She is such a great person, and I'd hate to disappoint her and make her regret picking me as Poppy's momma. :blink:

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hannah has a slight crook near the tip of her tail. It's not noticable & doesn't bother her.It's always been that way since I've had her. I think it's just where her tail hits her back & kinda got a crook because it had nowhere to go but to the side a bit.I can wiggle it,straighten it,she doesn't notice a thing. Hope that makes you feel a bit better.
Yes, that does make me feel a little better. I just wonder how I missed it, or if it's something new.

Now, is it time to :wine:yet?

HUGz! jules

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Don't feel bad. I am sure you didn't do anything.

When I was little my Dad accidentally chopped the end off my little dogs tail with gardening shears :w00t::w00t::w00t: he never lived it down, we tell the story 'til this day, (case in point). She was just fine after we stopped the blood shooting around the room as she wagged her tail. :new_shocked::new_shocked::new_shocked:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't feel bad. I am sure you didn't do anything.

When I was little my Dad accidentally chopped the end off my little dogs tail with gardening shears :w00t::w00t::w00t: he never lived it down, we tell the story 'til this day, (case in point). She was just fine after we stopped the blood shooting around the room as she wagged her tail. :new_shocked::new_shocked::new_shocked:
:smheat: :smstarz: :new_shocked: OMG ... my stomach just did a major flip!!! I would have died.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
I have a feeling that Luna's tail was broken when she was a baby - it's in the wrong tail set and she doesn't seem able to move it properly i.e. she can't really wag her tail. We have noticed that she seems to try to wag it but can't get the range of motion that most maltese have instead it looks like she is wiggling it slightly. She isn't in pain so I don't worry about it - it's just another of her quirks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts