Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone posted this on another board and I thought I'd share here. I find it so disheartening that these situations actually happen.

It was taken from the BARK (Bytown Association for Rescued Kanines) web page, on their "complaints" page.

Please take a number

Press 1 if you think we are veterinarians and want free medical advice

Press 2 if you know we are a rescue organization but want to save money and have us give you free, untrained medical advice anyway

Press 3 if you make $200,000 a year but still want us to pay to spay the "stray" in your yard

Press 4 if you have a 10 year old dog and your 15 year old son has suddenly become allergic and you need to find the dog a new home right away

Press 5 if you have 3 dogs, had a baby and want to get rid of your dogs because you are the only person in the world to have a baby and dogs at the same time

Press 6 if your dog is sick and needs a vet but you need the money for your vacation

Press 7 if you just got a brand new puppy and your old dog is having problems adjusting so you want to get rid of the old one right away

Press 8 if your little puppy has grown up and is no longer small and cute and you want to trade him for a new model

Press 9 if you are elderly and want to adopt a cute puppy who is not active and is going to outlive you

Press 10 if your relative has died and you don't want to care for their elderly pet because it doesn't fit your lifestyle

Press 11 if you are moving today and need to place your 150lb eight year old dog

Press 12 if you want an unpaid volunteer to come to your home today and pick up the dog you no longer want

Press 13 if you have been feeding and caring for a "stray" for the last 3 years, are moving and suddenly determine it's not your dog

Press 14 if you are calling at 6am to make sure you wake us up before we go to work so you can drop a dog off on your way to work

Press 15 if you are going to get angry because we are not going to take the dog you have had for 15 years because it is not our responsibility

Press 16 if you are going to threaten to take your ten year old dog to be euthanized because we won't take it

Press 17 if you are going to get angry because the volunteers had the audacity to go on vacation and leave the phone work to a trusted volunteer who is not authorized to take your personal pet

Press 18 if you want one of the perfectly trained housebroken, kid friendly purebred tiny dogs that we have in abundance

Press 19 if you want us to take your dog that has a slight aggression problem, ie has only bitten a few people and killed your neighbor's cats.

Press 20 if you want us to use space that would go to a stray to board your personal dog while you are on vacation, free of charge, of course.

Press 21 if you are lying to make one of our younger volunteers feel bad and take your personal pet off your hands

Press 22 if your two year old male dog is marking all over your house but you just haven't gotten around to having him neutered

Press 23 if you previously had an outdoor dog and are calling because she is pregnant

Press 24 if you have done "everything" to housebreak your dog and have had no success but you don't want to crate the dog because it is cruel

Press 25 if you left your work only phone number and are angry because our volunteers who also work were unable to call you back

Press 26 if you need a puppy immediately and cannot wait because today is your daughter's birthday and you forget when she was born

Press 27 if your new love doesn't like your dog and you are too stupid to get rid of the new friend (who will dump you in the next month anyway) instead of the dog

Press 28 if you went thru all these "presses" and didn't hear enough. This press will connect you to the sounds of tears being shed by one of our volunteers who is holding a discarded old dog, dying of grief because he misses his family.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by puppylucy@Jun 9 2005, 02:39 PM
i read that again.. and its actually kind of funny. not the issue, and not whats really happening.. but its well written

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70967
[/QUOTE]

No, you're right...it is well-written. It has just the perfect measure of sarcasm to get the message across. I think it's a sad statement that a rescue group has to post something like this. Think about all the situations that they must have encountered for someone to sit down and write this.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
poor babies, how could anyone do such things to them
Some people should just never have animals to begin with, it is so sad.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Originally posted by Angus+Jun 9 2005, 11:41 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppylucy
@Jun 9 2005, 02:39 PM
i read that again.. and its actually kind of funny. not the issue, and not whats really happening.. but its well written

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70967
No, you're right...it is well-written. It has just the perfect measure of sarcasm to get the message across. I think it's a sad statement that a rescue group has to post something like this. Think about all the situations that they must have encountered for someone to sit down and write this.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70968
[/B][/QUOTE]

Not just encountered these situations, but to have encountered them ober and over

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
It makes me soooo angry when I read things like this. I can't believe some people have such disregard for animals. Sometimes I think I have a problem because I feel such compassion for animals but maybe not so much for people all the times. I just think of this helpless little dog who is just being a dog and loving its owners and just because no one ever taught to to go to the bathroom in the right spot it gets given to complete strangers to live in a kennel for the rest of its life. Imagine how that poor animal must feel. It must be so lonely and sad and confused and wondering why the only things in the world that it loved just abandoned it. I dont really know if dogs or cats can think this way but I believe they can. I have a student in school who was telling me this story that just made me want to scream. Her family had a little boy yorkie (who did not look like a yorkie at all as it weighed about 20 lbs but anyway) so they have this yorkie for like 2 years they dont get it spayed bc they "cant afford it" but they could afford the yorkie which they bought from a pet store so the poor thing was marking every where and no one ever had time to take it out so it peed in the house. They were very aggravated with his "problem" with housetraining, which was really their problem, but anyway they started tying the poor puppy to a leash( a regular 4ft leash) that was attached to a cabinet in thte kitchen and would keep him tied there all day long and he would pee there and have to sit near his own pee so finally they decided to give the dog away. thank god i was so relieved. then she comes in and says "guess what Ms. S, we are getting a new puppy!" well you can imagine my reaction to this. Can you believe some people. So they are apparantly going out and buying a new puppy from the local pet store in the mall which will probably be abused just like their old one that they gave away less than 2 weeks ago. I just wish I could call the pet store and beg and plead for them to not sell a dog to these people. Some people just make me so sick. Ok that was long sorry but this topic really fires me up. Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
That is very sad, but also a huge reminder that there are people out there who would fit that description over and over again. It must be very heart breaking for the animal rescue people to have to listen to the selfish reasons people often give to justify the dumping of their no longer cherished pet.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Originally posted by NewMom328@Jun 9 2005, 06:28 PM
It makes me soooo angry when I read things like this.  I can't believe some people have such disregard for animals.  Sometimes I think I have a problem because I feel such compassion for animals but maybe not so much for people all the times.  I just think of this helpless little dog who is just being a dog and loving its owners and just because no one ever taught to to go to the bathroom in the right spot it gets given to complete strangers to live in a kennel for the rest of its life.  Imagine how that poor animal must feel.  It must be so lonely and sad and confused and wondering why the only things in the world that it loved just abandoned it.  I dont really know if dogs or cats can think this way but I believe they can.   I have a student in school who was telling me this story that just made me want to scream.  Her family had a  little boy yorkie (who did not look like a yorkie at all as it weighed about 20 lbs but anyway) so they have this yorkie for like 2 years they dont get it spayed bc they "cant afford it" but they could afford the yorkie which they bought from a pet store so the poor thing was marking every where and no one ever had time to take it out so it peed in the house.  They were very aggravated with his "problem" with housetraining, which was really their problem, but anyway they started tying the poor puppy to a leash( a regular 4ft leash) that was attached to a cabinet in thte kitchen and would keep him tied there all day long and he would pee there and have to sit near his own pee so finally they decided to give the dog away.  thank god i was so relieved.  then she comes in and says "guess what Ms. S, we are getting a new puppy!" well you can imagine my reaction to this.  Can you believe some people.  So they are apparantly going out and buying a new puppy from the local pet store in the mall which will probably be abused just like their old one that they gave away less than 2 weeks ago.  I just wish I could call the pet store and beg and plead for them to not sell a dog to these people.  Some people just make me so sick.  Ok that was long sorry but this topic really fires me up.  Thanks for reading.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71073
[/QUOTE]

This would be an excellent topic for a research project if these kids are old enough for something like that. Like "Where do all the animals at the pound come from?" , "Where do all the animals lying dead on the road come from?" Of course, their tender little sensibilities might be harmed by so awful a subject as abused, neglected and abandoned animals. Mom and Dad might take it all personally and rise up against the teacher who maligned them. Etc., etc.

Maybe you could send the url to a couple of web sites home with the child to help them understand the issue better.?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by NewMom328@Jun 9 2005, 07:28 PM
It makes me soooo angry when I read things like this.  I can't believe some people have such disregard for animals.  Sometimes I think I have a problem because I feel such compassion for animals but maybe not so much for people all the times.  I just think of this helpless little dog who is just being a dog and loving its owners and just because no one ever taught to to go to the bathroom in the right spot it gets given to complete strangers to live in a kennel for the rest of its life.  Imagine how that poor animal must feel.  It must be so lonely and sad and confused and wondering why the only things in the world that it loved just abandoned it.  I dont really know if dogs or cats can think this way but I believe they can.  I have a student in school who was telling me this story that just made me want to scream.  Her family had a  little boy yorkie (who did not look like a yorkie at all as it weighed about 20 lbs but anyway) so they have this yorkie for like 2 years they dont get it spayed bc they "cant afford it" but they could afford the yorkie which they bought from a pet store so the poor thing was marking every where and no one ever had time to take it out so it peed in the house.  They were very aggravated with his "problem" with housetraining, which was really their problem, but anyway they started tying the poor puppy to a leash( a regular 4ft leash) that was attached to a cabinet in thte kitchen and would keep him tied there all day long and he would pee there and have to sit near his own pee so finally they decided to give the dog away.  thank god i was so relieved.  then she comes in and says "guess what Ms. S, we are getting a new puppy!" well you can imagine my reaction to this.  Can you believe some people.  So they are apparantly going out and buying a new puppy from the local pet store in the mall which will probably be abused just like their old one that they gave away less than 2 weeks ago.  I just wish I could call the pet store and beg and plead for them to not sell a dog to these people.  Some people just make me so sick.  Ok that was long sorry but this topic really fires me up.  Thanks for reading.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71073
[/QUOTE]

I can't believe they didn't have enough money to get the dog "fixed" so they got rid of it................ and now they have enough money to go to a pet store and buy another puppy.................. :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i just met a woman last night that had a matted chow mix with an ear infection. she had adopted him in 1997.

you'd also think people who would adopt/rescue would take care of their dogs.

i think breeders should make a contract with people and MAKE them spay/neuter their dogs before they're 6 months old.

then we wouldnt have byb and people that are able to start up puppymills.

AND there should be a law or something saying that dogs can only be bred like 4 times and then they should get spayed.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Always remember there are two sides to every story:

Abuse: Not Always What it Seems
"I thought I might share a personal story with some of you who are in the rescue biz, as I have
been for 15+ years. It's a harsh reminder that abuse cases are not always as they appear. Those
of us who've been doing rescue for many years have seen and heard more than our share of
horrible stories. In fact, most of us like animals WAY more than people. Some of us have become numb to people, and we often think with self-righteous blinders on, unable to see past the
paradigm and into the whole picture. I was a victim of this yesterday. And I imagine I've been
guilty of doing the same to others. Forgive me. I think it's an important reminder.

One of my best friends is married to a man who has had several massive strokes. He is easily confused and has probably forgotten more stuff than you and I know put together. 2 years ago
I gave them Xena, one of our English Pointer puppies. Since that time, Ed's gotten worse and
worse and Joan (the wife) brings in very little money. The bank is about to foreclose on their
house, so it's up for sale and they're moving back to their condo which didn't sell after 3 years
being empty and on the market. Anyway, we agreed to take Xena back, which we did Friday
night. We're not breeders. This was a first and last litter for our dogs who have since been
altered. We brought Xena into this world, so we're always responsible for her and all the other pups. That was the rule.

Xena's very thin and skittish, afraid of her own shadow, but was incredibly loved by them. Their other dog Natasha, a rescue placed by us, is actually a little over weight. Both dogs are/were
well fed and spoiled beyond belief. Xena has a condition (allergy to staph), which requires daily meds and she basically looks like crap. She has rings of hair missing around her eyes from an
old bout of puppy mange that never completely cleared up. English pointers are thin dogs, and although she's FAR from neglected, she "looks" a tad neglected. Thus begins our nightmare.

Pointers can be a pain! They say having one English pointer is like having 3 dogs. After having
her for 2 days, Xena got away from me yesterday morning. It's hard to let 4 big dogs (a dobie
too) out at once and she scooted behind me and took off. I ran IN THE RAIN BAREFOOT
(35 degrees out) several blocks after her, but couldn't find her. My hubby hopped in the car
while I cleaned myself up, already late for work.

Meanwhile, Ed (the dazed and confused previous owner) got a call from a guy who picked up
Xena (she still had her old tags on) not even 15 minutes after she got away. Ed didn't know she
was even gone from our home. Anyway, the guy gave Ed his phone #. Ed didn't write it down
and forgot it. He has dementia. He called his wife Joan at work who then called me as I'm
calling in late to work. I rushed to Ed's house to *69 the phone to get the number of the last call
that came in to contact the guy who had Xena. But that would've been too easy. Joan had called
the house after the guy with Xena called, so I got her work # when I did *69. So, we only knew
that some guy named Bob had Xena.

I rummaged thru their house looking for directions on how to get the caller ID working on their cordless phone. No luck. I went to work 2 1/2 hours late and just waited. We hoped the guy
would call back. At 4pm I found out that some lady called Ed and said, "I've got your dog Xena
in my lap. She's malnourished and a$$holes like you don't deserve to have dogs." Phone slams down. Poor Ed is in tears. He's forgotten his entire life, but still knows his love for Xena. I'm in
tears. I feel like a big frickin jerk. It's all my fault. Meanwhile, I'd called the surrounding police stations and local shelters in case they brought the dog in. I reported the harassing call to the
police who basically didn't give a rat's patootie.

Joan got home from work, found the manual on the caller ID and retrieved the guy's number.
The woman who called Ed an a$$hole had a "private" number so we couldn't get a hold of her. When we finally got a hold of "Bob" and told him the whole situation, he admitted he gave the
dog to a woman friend when he didn't hear back from Ed. She thanked him profusely for picking
up Xena. And I also called and thanked him profusely! He assumed the owners didn't want the
dog. She appeared to be abused (very shy) and malnourished. They brought her to a shelter
about 30 miles south of us even though there's a shelter really close - a shelter that I work closely with who was also searching for Xena.

Sooooooooo, we contacted the far away shelter and explained the ENTIRE story to the lady (who bitched that she should've had tags on). HAH!! Turns out the people who brought in Xena
removed ALL 4 tags and gave the shelter NO information on the owners. They just dropped her
off as a stray, not wanting her to find her way back home………..being so abused and all. The shelter admitted they already knew they'd euthanize her because she was so skittish and shy if no one claimed her.

When we found out what these people had done, we called back to confront them. He denied
taking off her tags. His wife got on the phone and was really mean to Joan, saying she was lucky
to get the dog back at all. She wouldn't tell us her "friend's" name who had called Ed (the poor senile man) an a$$hole. She did admit she had Xena's name tag, but there were no other tags
on the collar. Xena was gone 15 minutes. Do you know how hard it is to unhook those hooks to
get the tags off? And they were all on the same hook. When asked why she removed Xena's name tag, she gave the excuse that she needed it in case the shelter had someone call in looking for
Xena. Truth is, she assumed the dog was mistreated and unloved and thought it best the owners couldn't be identified. Needless to say, I gave the man an earful as he continued to deny any wrongdoing. All he could say was he was just trying to do a nice thing........ I started the conversation off with a "thank you", but it quickly soured as he turned into a judgemental, self-righteous jerk. And, unfortunately I want to retaliate and file a complaint. The shelter advised us
to prosecute. But he lives very close and could make my life miserable with all the animals we
have, so we choose to quit while we're ahead.

Last year, the trainer who had our male pointer Buckshot lost him in a corn field 40 miles from
our home. Within 2 days we had distributed and posted 2,000 flyers with pictures. We'd rented
a helicopter and searched for him. My husband searched from midnight to 8am for 7 days. I searched during the days. We faxed the flyer to EVERY vet and shelter within 50 miles of where
he was lost. Buck also is shy of strangers and we knew he wouldn't come to anyone. One full
week later he was found exhausted and bone thin in a ditch. He looked like a skeleton, too weak
to stand. He was recognized by one of the 2,000 posters plastered in the 2 mile radius where he
was lost. And he was brought home. All of our dogs live in our laps and on our beds.

Many abuse/neglect cases are cut and dried. No doubt!! But, sometimes we see a pathetic animal and ASSUME it's the fault of a human. What we often forget is to consider possible underlying conditions. The health of the animal, the length of time it may have been lost. The lengths people may have gone to find their pet and or keep an otherwise sickly animal as healthy as possible.
And there are many other underlying factors. We DON'T have all the answers. We AREN'T
always right. Sometimes exotic animals are taken from the homes of people who truly love them
and properly care for them because of an ordinance or lack of a license. And these animals are placed into sanctuaries or shelters or euthanized. I have licenses and permits out the wazzoo. It doesn't make me a good animal caretaker. I happen to be a good one, but not because of the licenses I have, but because of the person I am.

I think we, as rescue people and organizations, need to be a little less critical of people and open
to the idea that while our hearts may be in the right place, our heads are sometimes up our butts.

PS ... Xena's 17 hour stay at the humane society was long enough to bring home kennel cough which was rapidly transmitted to all four of our dogs and our fennec fox. Everyone's healthy
now, but WOW, what a nightmare."

Warmly, Kim and Xena Warrior Puppy
[email protected]
Animals for Awareness

1 - 20 of 23 Posts