Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you get your little ones to SIT STILL. We have several digital camera's a Cannon A-95 which is 5 mp and a Minolta Diamge A-200, which is 8mp. We always take pictures on the largest resoulation. Should we add a lot of extra light. (flood) to set the f-stop up for a moving dog?

Now HOW do you get your little guys still?????
Tucker is 5 months old and he is on the move. I might put him in a sit but by the time I am ready to take the picture he has moved. I might add he doesn't just move he is like Road Runner.

The few I have of him on here he is either sitting in a flower pot and couldn't get out or my Grandson's toy wagon. To have him just on the floor or an area where he can move around on is next to impossible.

Do you think with age he will calm down a bit? Thank goodness for digital. We would have spent a fortune on getting film developed. We took 55 pictures the other day and only got 2 good ones.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think he will definitely come down with age. Miko is over 2 yrs old now and will sit still for as long as needed if I ever get around to taking pictures of him. I remember when he was around 5 months old, I tried to take pictures of him to send to my husband and ended up with 40 pictures of white blurr!! He was always on the go. Its kind of sad that my little boy is all grown up now

Have you tried taking pictures after a good long walk? Or maybe use treats and as a part of training, make him do sit, down, stay and click!!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Well, first of all, take the pictures when he is a little sleepy. You might want somebody to squeak a toy above the camera to catch his attention. Also, hold a treat, I heard somewhere not to do that, but it works for me. Rosie is a pretty good poser, so we dont really have that problem. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Well, Massimo absolutely HATES his picture taken. Hopefully your little guy won't end up like this. Massimo sits still for me, but he makes the most HORRIFIC faces! He squints or moves away right when the little yellow light (indicating the picture is about to be taken) blinks, with or WITHOUT the flash. I have to catch him off guard in order to capture his "true self" and it's DIFFICULT!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well u can work on the stay command....this is very handy with pet photos...but i have taken many pics of animals that dont know stay....sometimes it is a two person job...have one person near the pup who keeps putting the pup in sit position...eventually the puppy will give up and stay there...and the one with the camera keeps shooting pics until u get a good one. sure i have lots of good pics, but if u saw all the pics i took to get those good shots, you would see many bad ones.
also if u put the dog high up onto something, sometimes they have a fear of heights and wont try to walk away. but recently i learned there are some fearless pups who will walk right off if there was no one next to them to catch them. so do be careful

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Connie, your situation sounds just like mine. I will take a picture and it'll look fine on the camera's screen then once I click the shutter and then see the picuture that was actually taken.... all that is there is a blur of white fur because they have moved in the split second after the shutter was pressed.

Like others have said, I end up with zillions of bad shots to maybe one decent one. I did set the shutter speed to go faster and that helped quite a bit but it is a still a huge challenge to get one decent picture!!

It will get easier when he gets older though and is not quite as active.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Connie, I have the same problem with Abbey!
I wondered how AJ got such great pictures of her little Rosie!! I want to take Abbey to get a professional picture done with my girls but right now she doesn't hold still unless she IS asleep!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Why they HECK do you need any photography advice!?!!?!?! Your pictures look GREAT!

Anyway, try walking them or playing with them for awhile to get them tired.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Carrie@Sep 11 2005, 09:20 AM
Well, Massimo absolutely HATES his picture taken.  Hopefully your little guy won't end up like this.  Massimo sits still for me, but he makes the most HORRIFIC faces!  He squints or moves away right when the little yellow light (indicating the picture is about to be taken) blinks, with or WITHOUT the flash.  I have to catch him off guard in order to capture his "true self" and it's DIFFICULT! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98448
[/QUOTE]

Brinkley is the same way. I swear I can almost hear him "huff" when he sees me with the camera.

Part of my problem with catching a good picture is that if he is doing something picture worthy...when I get up to get the camera...he quits what he is doing and comes with me.
The moment is then gone!

Someone said earlier they heard not to bribe with treats.

I do it all the time when trying to take pictures...oh well...
I say whatever works!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
lol cheste is the same way that why we only have a few like 5 picture from the time we got him until now. He is now 4 years old. He is stil la ball of energy. chelsey is a bit better to take pictures of but yes we get the white blur as well. I could go through 20 pic's before we get a good one... thank goodness for digital.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Put your baby on a chair or couch so he won't run away. And make clicking or whatever silly noise to attrack his attention. It sometimes works for me!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
oh my gosh-I thought I was the only one with picture taking problems. Especially because all of you have such great pictures of your babies--I bring the camera out and Ruby's outta here. I've been trying to take pictures of her with Marj's bows and she will not have it.....

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
We use the stay command, along with his absolute favorite treats, also Rex is on a table so no where to run to. Rex is a lot better at it now than he was a few months ago, he gets better everytime. Also Rex does better with the pictures after he has had a good long nap, when he is tired he doesnt want to stay as well.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh how nice to know I'm not alone!!!!!!!! I really thought it was just me. Finding a place to take his picture is hard. Of course he couldn't get out of that BIG flower pot. With the wagon we got those pictures the first time we put him in it. He learned to jump out within a minute or two.

We want to get some fall pictures of him soon. Not sure how to get him still for those. I try to think back when my son was small. Ummmmm he was a wiggle worm too.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Or how about when they come up and start licking the lens?

·
Registered
285 Posts
i think we all have that problem with taking pictures. it's like they just KNOW you're about to take a piture.. and then they start running around in circles.. :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks so much for the kind words. Little do you know I might shoot 30 pictures to get one good shot.

We did learn if he use different sounds it will get his attention and we can get a quick shot. Funny how they move just as you are about to click the camera

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.