Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dr. Harvey and I had a very nice conversation last week about various foods and supplements. This is true customer service to the max!!!

I had been feeding Veg-to-Bowl but after visiting with Dr. Harvey, we have now switched to Canine Health. None of my girls have a known allergy to gains, and because of the gains he uses and the lower percentage of gains, he feels that the girls will be better on the Canine Health instead of the Veg-to-Bowl.

We also discussed a number of his supplements. He told me that I do NOT need to give a Multi Vitamin (even his) if I am feeding Canine Health as he contains all of the necessary vitamins and minerals.

I have changed to his Health and Shine oil instead of having to switch oils all the time. If I use Health and Shine, I do not need to add any other oil.

For Lacie, we are adding Ortho-Flex because of her Grade 1 LPs

For Secret, we are adding Coenzyme Q10 which Dr. Harvey is very high on. He says that all humans need to take Q10 too. I know that my DH has truly benefited from taking it. Dr. Harvey says that we should put all of the fluffs on Q10 once they turn 7.

It was great discussing the girl's individual needs with Dr. Harvey. He is so knowledable. What other owner of a "dog food" or "supplement" company would take the time to discuss the individual needs of our fluffs? He is just, imho, WONDEFUL. It's like having a personal nutrionist for the girls. :chili::chili::chili:

He was on the phone when I called, but returned my call within 15 minutes. :aktion033:

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I've talked to Dr. Harvey several times, isn't he a hoot? Lol. I unfortunately can't feed mine the Canine Health because of allergies, they all itch like crazy and chew their feet so we're feeding the Veg-to-Bowl. Once i'm finished with the fish oil i'm switching back to the Health and Shine oil again that way i don't have to keep switching oils.
I'm very happy with the Veg-to-Bowl and how my pups are doing on it. It's so nice to see Miss Picky Noelle so excited about eating and she eats up all of her food now. :)

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
That is great customer service and I didn't even know he was a real person. Neat! It's reassuring to know you're on the right track.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Wow! That is really great, Lynn! Tell me now though, how do you get the oil out of those capsules? I've gotten it all over the floor and myself, but very little into the food :blush:

It's the one question I have at the moment :unsure:

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I have spoken to him as well and he pretty much said what you are relaying...I feed the Canine Health and I am very happy with it. Chloe twirls so much when I am getting ready to feed them, that I am afraid she is going to hurt herself and Summer bounces up and down like a jumping bean. I have always used the Health and Shine as well.

Pat, I take the tip of a knife and gently puncture the capsule in the middle and I don't have a problem with it squirting all over

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
That is great. :) I think I should get the health and shine too. The jury is still out on the veg-to-bowl for Lola. I am only giving her half portions but she has brought it back up a couple of times. I think partly because she loves it so much she eats it too fast. Lol.

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts
I am crazy about Dr. Harvey Lynn. I had a long conversation with him myself just about a year ago when I started Dixie on his food. I was mixing the Veg to Bowl and the Canine Health. Dixie loves veggies so much I figured she'd love it. He told me to finish that up then stick with the Canine Health only, if your dog isn't allergic to grains there is no reason to avoid them. I just read an article in the Oct. issue of Whole Dog Journal about dogs and carbs that backs that up. Of course it depends on what the grains are. Good grains are good for them. I give her the Health & Shine too. He told me about the CQ10 too but Dixie isn't old enough yet to take it. I take it though! I think we had about the same conversation Lynn. He's wonderful and so is his food.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I really liked was talking to him about each of the girls individually. Lacie is trying the Canine Health but we may have to switch her back to Veg-to-Bowl as she is the one that has allergies but we don't think they're food related (except beef).

Also because she is the only one that has LPs, I wanted to discuss that with him.

Having just gotten Secret, and because she just turned 9, I wanted to know what supplements she should be taking.

Tilly is the only one that seems not to have any special needs, at the moment. :)

And yes, all 3 love their food so much that they have no patience while I'm trying to get breakfast or dinner ready for them. LOL Lacie twirls and twirls; Tilly stands on her back legs with her front paws on the cabins and stretches as far as she can to get closer to the food; and little Secret just bounces up and down. It's really cute to watch.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
I've spoken with him, also. Sophie is on Canine Health and is doing great. Annie started itching a bit so I've been homecooking for her - one raw protein/one grain, but we just started her on Sojo's and I'm still waiting to see how she does on that.

Pat, the easiest way I've found to open the oil capsule is with a paring knife - applying the tip directly to the seam of the capsule - so far so good - it just splits it open down the seam and no squirting. But I think the real secret is the small very sharp paring knife - so be careful! :)

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Wow! That is really great, Lynn! Tell me now though, how do you get the oil out of those capsules? I've gotten it all over the floor and myself, but very little into the food :blush:

It's the one question I have at the moment :unsure:
LOL

I just put the capsule on top of the food. They eat it like a treat!

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Ok, when I make up my new batch I will try the sharp knife on the seam....if that doesn't work I'll try putting the capsule in each bowl. At the moment I'm using Coconut oil to brown the chicken in and then I pour a bit of Seasame oil into the finished product.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
mine absolutely LOVE the veg-to-bowl and have been doing really well on it. i still need to transition proteins slowly for stuart.

i'm curious as to why dr. harvey suggested you switch to canine health? is it because it contains all the vitamins and minerals and veg-to-bowl doesn't? should i be adding calcium to veg-to-bowl? and also, do you find the recipe is a little off - as in really high amounts of protein to veg-to-bowl ratio?

sorry for all the questions.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
mine absolutely LOVE the veg-to-bowl and have been doing really well on it. i still need to transition proteins slowly for stuart.

i'm curious as to why dr. harvey suggested you switch to canine health? is it because it contains all the vitamins and minerals and veg-to-bowl doesn't? should i be adding calcium to veg-to-bowl? and also, do you find the recipe is a little off - as in really high amounts of protein to veg-to-bowl ratio?

I too wonder if i need to add calcium or vitamins, i think i'll give Dr. Harvey a call tomorrow to find out for sure. Whenever i made the food with the required amount of protein and Veg-to-Bowl mixture it looked as if it had too much protein. When i make the food now i use 2lbs protein, 64oz of water and 32 scoops of the mixture and looks much more balanced and the fluffs are doing really well on it.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I believe that Crystal tried added calcium to the veg-to-bowl and it threw off the phosphorus. Perhaps you can pm her and ask.

I asked Dr Harvey about adding calcium and vitamins (a while ago) and he said that the veg-to-bowl contains enough calcium and vitamins. I've never added more, and I've not had a problem.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
thanks for the clarifications ladies! its so much fun att dinnertime to see how excited the pups are for their dr. harveys. :)

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts

Tami, what proteins are you using? Are you using raw? Just curious. I liked the veg to bowl, but truthfully, I like what I am using now better, but it only comes in turkey and beef. Not too much of a choice, but I do like it and so do the doggies.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts