Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well winter is upon us... this morning it was about -17 and it snowed most of yesterday (average winter temps are -25 and lower) and Wilson would not go outside. Last night it was around the same temp, and he would only go out for a second and only pee a tiny bit and wouldn't poop. Last night, before bedtime, I forced him to stay out a little longer and he finally went poop and peed his usual amount.

I have a winter coat and booties for him- but he still shivers for a good 10 minutes when we come back in. I am ok with him not going outside, but if he has only ever gone outside how do I teach him to use the potty pad?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
My Lady was even older when I adopted her, close to 5, and I was able to train her to use pee pads. I honestly can't imagine not having a Maltese cross trained, even here in Raleigh, North Carolina! Lady doesn't do rain and we do have those freak 2 foot snow storms every few years.

I scented a pee pad by blotting up some urine after Lady peed outside. Lady always scratches at the back door when she has to go out so I put the pad there. It was down for several months before she used it, but, lo and behold, I came home one day from work and found a puddle on the pad! She still is basically outdoor trained and although she will use the pad when I'm not home, she'll hold it, scratch the door and carry on for hours before breaking down when I am home and the weather is bad. I think she still thinks it's "bad" and doesn't want to do it in front of me.

·
Registered
285 Posts
how old is your puppy?

because i have the opposite problem with leise. i'd love to take her out all the time to go potty but she ONLY goes on the stupid newspaper
.. even when i took her out... she ended up PEEING on a NEWSPAPER! what kind of freak stuff is that =T

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Only thing I can think of is exactly what Lady'sMom said...blot some of his urnie on the puppy pad and if you use any word like Potty then when he is sniffing and checking out the pad use the word that you would nornally use if you took him out....and it really is being consistant on your part..every single time you see him by the pad walk over to him and say Potty (or whatever word you use) if he goes on the pad...then of course as we ALL know..praise him big time for it.
Also in the begining I bought her those grass scented pads by Nature's Miricle once she got the hang of going on the pad I got the cheaper brand.

I got Chulita in September and she would go on the puppy pads because she was home alone for a good 8 hours of the day (still is). But come the weekends or days off I would take her out and try to cross train her. But it has gotten cold and rainy so right now she is 90% an indoor dog. But once the spring/summer rolls back around I plan on taking her out as soon as I get home from work every to have trained to do both.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip on blotting it on his urine- that would also get some of the grass smell on it as well.

He now goes to the back door when he needs to go out- so I plan on leaving it there. In fact I left one there this morning, just to get him used it being there.

fox420- Wilson is a year and a half old rescue. Before I got him he had lived in a kennel with a doggy door to a gated area and he could come and go as he wanted to. I was worried we would have issues with accidents since he was used to going out whenever he wanted, but he is a smart little fella, and has only had 2 accidents in the month I have had him.

bklynlatina-- we say "go potty" when he goes outside and as a trigger to get him to stop playing and do his business, so I will use that phrase too when I put him on the pad.

Thanks so much for your help- I will let y'all know how it goes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well winter is upon us... this morning it was about -17 and it snowed most of yesterday (average winter temps are -25 and lower) and Wilson would not go outside. Last night it was around the same temp, and he would only go out for a second and only pee a tiny bit and wouldn't poop. Last night, before bedtime, I forced him to stay out a little longer and he finally went poop and peed his usual amount.

I have a winter coat and booties for him- but he still shivers for a good 10 minutes when we come back in. I am ok with him not going outside, but if he has only ever gone outside how do I teach him to use the potty pad?[/B]

Do you have a garage? Or a room where you can put down the pad? My oldest maltese trained in a week to go outdoors. He is bigger (13 lbs., I call him my straight haired bichon because of his size), anyway, when I got the second one, a female (5.5 lbs) I felt like I was spending more time outside of my home than inside trying to coordinate both their schedules. She also could not hold it as long, so I started the indoor training.

I never praised her when she went potty outdoors, somehow she knows the grass is potty area. With him, it was a bit nerve wrecking
at first, he would try to hold it forever..... and I would get nervous and take him outside before he would have an accident (I hate cleaning doggy mess!)

She learned to go on the puppy potty grid so quickly! She would stop whatever she was doing and went to the laundry room did her business and came back like nothing hapened. If it is #2 she will bark at me... (as if telling me to go clean it up or it will get stinky...!) I've heard myself say that she is the perfect maltese!

Since I crate them at night in my bedroom, in the morning I would put him on the puppy potty (same idea as wizdog) and he of course would do it... but then during the day he would try to hold it until somehow just exploded in the kitchen. I purchased an e-book on potty training from Mrs. Heath, which includes over the phone advice. She recommended that I stop doing the trips outside so he would only have the option of going in the designated area. Well, he would just really hate to do it in the laundry room... so I used the one in the garage... somehow he was more willing to go in the garage potty... but the days that I worked longer hours he had accidents... but at least they were in the laundry room, not on the potty but at least closer to it. I knew he knew what the potty was for because he did all of his #2's on the grid....
and I internally thought he was just being stubborn and paying me back for leaving.

I discovered something.... The female seems to be more motivated to urinate on the Nature's Miracle (green colored plastic with grass scent?) Even if she does not have to go, if I put a clean one down she makes an effort! the male seems to be more motivated to urinate on wee-wee pads brand or newspaper.

They each had their potty with different pads... and each preferred one over the other. Then it seemed whenever I felt like he had gotten it down pat, he would regress and have an accident (still in laundry area, but not over grid). I began to question whether he would ever really get this training to go inside down and whether he deserved to be in a family that could take him out at designated times during the day. And I had one lady make an offer on adopting him. It was as if he knew, since that day he has not had any more accidents! Pees and poops on the puppy potty.

Sorry for the long life history here, what I am trying to say is that it is true what they say that some dogs take longer than others to get it down, and I feel I complicated matters by training him outdoors first. But they do get it eventually, (which I was beginning to doubt 100%).

I firmly believe that if we train them indoors we must use some sort of grid so that it feels different from carpet under their feet. My friend did the pad training without the grid and her dog (adopted 2 weeks before mine, same ages) still had accidents on her carpet areas, now that she uses the grid it seems to have stopped.

Good luck,

sorry for the ramblings, but I learned so much from others sharing in this forum, it is my way to pay back.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

Thank you all for the great advice, but I gave up on the pad... I think it was confusing him. I think the issue outside was the snow- he lost the scent of where to go! He would run all around the yard sniffing, but wouldn't go. So earlier this week we shoveled some snow, exposing the ground in his two favorite spots- and he ran right to the areas and went!

I talked to the groomer about his feet- and she said she typically lets the hair grow a bit longer around the pads in the winter, to provide some protection since most dogs won't wear the booties.

We have mostly tile and hardwood, so the few places we have carpet I sprayed down with a vinegar, lemon rind and water mixture- let it dry and then covered it with baking soda, let it sit for a while and then vaccumed it up.

No accidents this whole week, so hopefully we have resolved the potty issue!

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I tried cross training Abbey, too Deanna and like you ended up confusing her. I put the pad down at the door and she would use it, but when it wasn't there and I wanted her to potty outside she would just pee right on the floor in front of the door so now we are strictly outside. Today we have alot of snow and I had to shovel down to the grass so she would go - but she is quick with potty breaks now!!!
She gets done with her buisness so she can get back inside!

I even tried putting her pee pad in the attached garage but she never did catch on. She seemed really confused as to why we were going out a different door than her potty door.

I just wish she'd wear her booties but we've tried several times and tried every trick and she won't walk in them. I guess I'll just be clearing her a path each time it snows so she doesn't get those snowballs stuck on her legs!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am glad to know I am not the only one who had trouble with the cross training.

The first couple of days of snow and really cold weather (-20C), I would take him outside and he would just run back to the door. I just ignored him and wouldn't take him back inside until he went potty. Day two of our stand off, we had been outside for 15 minutes and he wouldn't go! He just kept grumbling at me- running between me and the door, and usually I ignore him but I was freezing too and just wanted to get back inside and I said, rather sternly, "Wilson! Just go potty already!" He grabbed my pant leg, which he had never done before, grumbled under his breath, ran over to his spot and peed- grumbling the entire time, and barked when he was done!
It was so funny I couldn't help but crack up.
He has never grumbled like that, he never barks, and he has never grabbed my pant leg.

I won the stand off, and thats what counts! He hasn't given me any more problems since then. He now knows he isn't get back inside unless he goes.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I think he'll definately catch on that if he does his business, he can go back inside. I know Abbey doesn't mess around anymore! But the colder it gets, standing out there for 2 minutes seems like 20!

To be honest, I think I wanted her to cross train as much for me as for her!
Like you, I'm freezing out there!!!
I guess it just shows how much we love our doggies!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts