Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is what the broker Paris Hilton used to get her "teacup" Maltese says about tiny care:

Seems an abomination. Given that teacup is not a real thing and the Maltese standard is already under 7 lbs with 3-6 preferred, just how small are these dogs as adults? 2 lbs? While I get that there are certain idiosyncrasies in care for toy dogs, and some of it is reasonable and applicable to all toy dogs, this is saying not to gently exercise the dog until something like 9-10 months. No walks, no harness. "I would never attempt exercise with a young micro tiny puppy EVER! They are to go from the crate to your arms when until MUCH later in life! Too dangerous on a micro tiny in the puppy stages!" It also says that even as adults they can't safely go for a walk unless they have just eaten a full meal and had a dab of Nurtical.

Do any of you have small Maltese that are or were fragile to this extreme? That would also seem to preclude the dogs normal play instincts. Seems to me that when a dog is so small that you have to stop it from normal dog behavior, that's a breeding problem. Similar to French Bulldogs and some other brachycephalic breeds not even being able to breathe properly and sometimes needing nose jobs to live a normal quality of life.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I just finished reading you most recent post regarding "Teacup" sized Dog. Well, we have one of the most adorable little 2.7 lb Yorkie that we got from a very reputable Breeder here in our area last October. She is far from delicate and quite the opposite!! And while she is super tiny, her little personality is not!! We have had no issues with her regarding her size, she walks outside on her leash and harness and eats a very good holistic dog food. She has the run of our home and is only in her crate (which she goes into very willingly) during the times when we are out and at night for bedtime. We also have our 12 1/2 year old Maltese as well as two 10 year old Cats and she gets along with all of them very well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good to hear!! I'm not saying there is inherently or automatically a problem with dogs of that size. Just that Teacup is not an actual category. And that intentionally breeding a dog down so small that the consequence is such restricted activity the first 9-10 months of its life seems cruel. Glad yours is thriving without such restrictions. I would think that reputable Maltese breeders are not breeding such that pups' first 10 months of life is restricted exclusively to crate and laps!

I just finished reading you most recent post regarding "Teacup" sized Dog. Well, we have one of the most adorable little 2.7 lb Yorkie that we got from a very reputable Breeder here in our area last October. She is far from delicate and quite the opposite!! And while she is super tiny, her little personality is not!! We have had no issues with her regarding her size, she walks outside on her leash and harness and eats a very good holistic dog food. She has the run of our home and is only in her crate (which she goes into very willingly) during the times when we are out and at night for bedtime. We also have our 12 1/2 year old Maltese as well as two 10 year old Cats and she gets along with all of them very well.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I personally agree with you as far as a Teacup is not a category. Both of Laci's Parents were around three or so pounds and not sure just how big of a litter she came from? I believe that Laci did have a Sister as well. I believe that most of the other Yorkies from the Breeder that Laci came from are larger and a more standard size from what I saw from her Website.

·
Super Moderator
10,167 Posts
While dogs can be perfectly healthy outside the breed standard, intentionally breeding tiny dogs under the standard can produce dogs With health issues that may not surface for many years. These Breeders are after one thing - money - and IMO aren’t trying to better their breed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree. I'd run from any breeder marketing an already toy dog as "teacup." Especially one where the breed standard preference is already reaches as low as 3 pounds.

While dogs can be perfectly healthy outside the breed standard, intentionally breeding tiny dogs under the standard can produce dogs With health issues that may not surface for many years. These Breeders are after one thing - money - and IMO aren’t trying to better their breed.

·
Premium Member
4,905 Posts
Good to hear!! I'm not saying there is inherently or automatically a problem with dogs of that size. Just that Teacup is not an actual category. And that intentionally breeding a dog down so small that the consequence is such restricted activity the first 9-10 months of its life seems cruel. Glad yours is thriving without such restrictions. I would think that reputable Maltese breeders are not breeding such that pups' first 10 months of life is restricted exclusively to crate and laps!
You are correct about reputable breeders not breeding puppies that small. If a breeder refers to their pups as “Teacups” run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts