Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I tried something today that was recommended by Chelsey’s breeder, and it worked wonders.
Her face is so clean. Chelsey has been having really bad tear stains lately that I think could be related to her food. Well I went to shopper’s drug mart and bought ploydent denture cleaner and gave it a try.

"Use a false-teeth cleaner in 1/4 cup of hot water, and use a cotton ball dampened with this solution and wipe puppy’s tear stains, leaving on for 5 to 10 min and wipe of with a Damp Paper towel or cotton ball. "[/B]

****Update Nov 6, 2006 ****

**If your puppy has read tear stains and it smell bad around the eye, this could be a yeast infection and it should be treated by your Vet .**

1)We have also found that Everdent is to harsh a product to use on your puppy.

2) Do not use anything other then an paper towel or cotton ball to apply this solution

3) We have also found that using 1 table spoon of Baking Soda and less then 1/4 will also give you the same results. Without he use of chemicals ( I have been using this method as well.)

4) Do not leave your puppies face soaked with this solution on over night.
( Wipe it on and Wipe it off with a damp paper towel or cotton ball)

5) If you still notice red that is fine. It could take a few applications but wait 2 - 3 weeks before applying it again.

6) This is NOT a permanent fix .

7) This may not work for everyone puppy.

================================================================

CHELSEY'S FACE IS CLEAN, I mean clean.

It removed all the red stains. I wish I took before and after pictures but I did not have my cell phone with me. I know that it will come back as that is not the under root problem. At least I can clean her face with out working so hard it only took 3-5 min and it was all gone. I used two of the denture tablets as Chelsey face was really red and then I just wiped it on rubbing lightly. Be very careful not to get in the eyes

It worked!! She looks like the puppies in the Always Maltese pictures that lexis’s mom posted. Clean face, White face. No red stains. That how chelsey face was for the first few months untill she started teething. After her spay it got really bad . I think that was the time I changed her food as well.

Give it a try. It is way cheaper then the other stuff I have spent lots on that don't work ,or only remove a little tear stains at a time.

Products Rated from 1 to 10

A #1 Systems Gel whitener for tear stains. 4.5
If you leave it on and then wipe it off, It keeps the tear stains from staining the coat .
Only problem is the tear stains look the same until you wipe it off at the end of the week… just makes it easy to maintain.

Hydrogen peroxide 5 - 6
It will remove most of the red stains with lot of work daily.
Some say it dries out the hair. I have not had that issue.

Bio something. I can't remember the name right now. 2
It is too late to go down stairs to check

I personally did not like this product at all. It just covers up the red stains with white makeup.
I guess it would work find for a puppy with small amount of tearing.
A puppy that has a lot of tearing, ends up looking like they have bad makeup on for Halloween.

Diamond eye 1.
A Total waste of my money.
Let say I bought the bottle in October last year and it is still nearly full . The above product works better at least it covers it up with white stuff.

Soap and water. 4
This must be done daily and it will still not remove all the red stains.
I find it moves the red down the face. Leaving streaks

Cutting the hair 7-8
I do this once a week with also using the A# 1 system gel
but there is still a little red left

Ploydent denture cleaner 9
I rate this a 9 as the underline problem will come back.
So far this is the best thing that works except for cutting the hair near the eyes.
I guess I won’t have to do this anymore.
:D

These are just my personal experiences and others may have different results.
I just wanted to share some great information.
I will try to post a picture of Chelsey white face soon.

From one happy mom

Editing for Pictures:
Before

After:

Resetly taken picture November 2006

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I would have NEVER thought of that, but it makes a little sense!
Thanks for the tip...I will give it a try after my next Walmart trip! :D

"Use a false-teeth cleaner in 1/4 cup of hot water, and use a cotton ball dampened with this solution and wipe puppy’s tear stains, leaving on."[/B]
PS: You don't rinse it at all?

·
Registered
841 Posts
[/IMG]

If this works we'll kiss you, poor Summer always has the stians I've tried everything. Her poor little face always looks dirty
and I wipe,wash,wipe,wash etc... all the time
THIS STUFF SOUNDS GREAT makes sense
Thanks for the tip
forever grateful
Summer

·
Registered
363 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@May 26 2005, 06:05 AM
I would have NEVER thought of that, but it makes a little sense!
Thanks for the tip...I will give it a try after my next Walmart trip! :D

"Use a false-teeth cleaner in 1/4 cup of hot water, and use a cotton ball dampened with this solution and wipe puppy’s tear stains, leaving on."
PS: You don't rinse it at all?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65381
[/B][/QUOTE]

That's my question too. Even after a certain time, you don't rinse?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Are you using the fizzy denture tabs or the paste? I have efferdent tabs (my daughter has a retainer) and they work great for that. I have also heard of alka-seltzer being used on tear stains...you follow the package directions and wipe the solution onto the area. I have never tried this, I was always afraid that it would get into her eyes. Valletta's tear stains come and go as she loses and gains teeth.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Double posted whoopsie

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Sounds GREAT! I cant wait for you to answer everyone's questions! I am wondering the same thing! LOL

Q's
Tlunn's--Do you rinse afterwards?
Maltsmom--Can you reuse the water or does it have to be fresh each time?
Saltymatly--Fizzy denture tabs or the Paste?

Those are their questions! HEHEHHE Trying to make it convenient for ya! :D

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@May 26 2005, 11:29 AM
Sounds GREAT! I cant wait for you to answer everyone's questions! I am wondering the same thing! LOL

Q's
Tlunn's--Do you rinse afterwards?
Maltsmom--Can you reuse the water or does it have to be fresh each time?

Those are their questions! HEHEHHE Trying to make it convenient for ya! :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65490
[/QUOTE]

Hi everyone.

Question 1: Do you rinse

Well I only tired it once last night. The breeder said to leave it on.
I used two tabs, the water turned deep blue kind of like a watery thin paste.
the colure of that smiley
I dipped a paper towel and applied to Chelsey face under the eyes and down her cheeks.
Her face was a little blue, what I did was damp and other paper towel and wiped the blue off.

I let Chelsey face dry went down to the basement to do something. When I returned her face was dry and all white. I new that most of the red was gone when I wiped it off ( but you know how you can't tell how good something works on your puppy until they are dry).

Well Chelsey looked so cute... no red face. Mind you my friend always say she is so cute with her red cheeks..

I just followed the instructions emailed to me quoted above.. Chelsey breeder does grooming. I told her the problem Chelsey was having and this was her tip she shared with me.

Question 2:
I don't think you can save the water. I wouldn't anyway. I throw it right out. Her face is white now. .
Try to buy white tabs if possible. The box i bought was 7.99. I did not know what to expect in side the box. There are a lot of tabs so no need to save the water.
I guess I won’t need to do this until next bath time.

Question 3:
I used the fizzy denture tabs as there were no mention of past in the instructions.
But I guess you can try it and see if it works. But then I would rinse it off as it may leave a sticky film.

Question 4:

alka-seltzer , I can't comment . I have never used it.
Give it a try and let us know. I would ask your friend first if puppy had any reaction to it. For me I felt safe doing this as it was recommended by Chelsey’s breeder.

Question 5
Do you think it could be used on the beard? Tunny's has a pinkish tint.
yep I'm sure of it. Chesleys tears started running down her cheeks.. It's all gone now.

I will try and post a picture later my husband has the picture cell phone.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I tried it this morning on Jack and Jill. I have the green fizzy tabs cause I have a partial. Smelled like menthol. However, it started working immediately. I had to go to work so I will see when I get home if the stains are completely gone. I am going to buy a tablet that is colorless and tasteless cause the menthol seemed to bother their eyes. You know like when you smell bengay or vicks vaporub. Other than that, I think it really works. After a year of trying, I can't believe it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Oh, this is WONderful news!!! *doing a happy dance* I can't wait to go pick some of this stuff up later today! I will post before and after pics for all to see. :D

Thanks sooooo much for the tips, Chelsey!!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a tablet that is colorless and tasteless[/B]
Please let me know when you find a product that has this. I did not know the diffence when I bought it yesterday. I would prefer if it were not blue.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Although Brink's were not BAD right now, I did get me some of this today and just applied it...I am excited to see if it takes what stains he had off...

I did find mine (name Brand Efferdent) for 40 tablets for only $2.36. I was looking for $7.99...there was not any even close to that price! Your stuff must be GOLDEN!

Anyway, will let you know if I experience success...

Thanks again for the tip, even if it is not successful... :D

·
Registered
363 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey@May 26 2005, 03:23 PM
a tablet that is colorless and tasteless
Please let me know when you find a product that has this. I did not know the diffence when I bought it yesterday. I would prefer if it were not blue.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65704
[/B][/QUOTE]

I went only to giant eagle after work, They didn't have much. I will check out Walmart as soon as I can. I am sure they will have a bigger selection.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@May 26 2005, 06:05 PM
Although Brink's were not BAD right now, I did get me some of this today and just applied it...I am excited to see if it takes what stains he had off...

I did find mine (name Brand Efferdent) for 40 tablets for only $2.36. I was looking for $7.99...there was not any even close to that price! Your stuff must be GOLDEN!

Anyway, will let you know if I experience success...

Thanks again for the tip, even if it is not successful... :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65758
[/QUOTE]
See any difference yet Traci?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by maltsmom@May 26 2005, 06:13 PM
I went only to giant eagle after work,  They didn't have much. I will check out Walmart as soon as I can.  I am sure they will have a bigger selection.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65765
[/QUOTE]

Its not often you hear that "Giant Eagle", so that really caught my eye. haha hi neighbor

Traci? How is it going???

Jess, you dont have to rub it in that you dont have tearstains
especially since we all know what you do have!!!!

1 - 20 of 207 Posts