Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm new here! I got my Maltese baby Teddy around March this year. I have always been hot on his grooming but he didn't seem to have any tear staining issues as a very young pup when his first teeth came through. Since around 7 months his eyes have been terribly tear stained and no matter what I do nothing seems to help them!

I have taken him to the vets about it and they advised that it is probably due to his adult teeth coming through, but they prescribed some eye drops just in case he had an eye infection. I have been using the eye drops daily and cleaning his eyes daily with a Pro pooch tear stain remover and have been occasionally using the Tropiclean blueberry tear stain shampoo as advised by the groomers. Neither of these have made much difference. I have also tried cornstarch and some other tearstain removing products such as diamond eyes but these were unsuccessful too. I have read many threads on here looking for answers but having spent quite a lot of money already on unsuccessful products I thought I would reach out myself for advice.

I know the staining is probably due to teething, but I am desperate to find something to remove the stains as I am fed up with people asking what is wrong with his eyes. By the looks of him you'd never think I groom him thoroughly every day!

I have attached some pictures so you can see how badly they are stained.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Hayley

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
This is a common issue with our little Malts and this is happening due to teething. Your little one will eventually outgrow this and it takes patience on your behalf. And I also want to mention that little Teddy is absolutely adorable!!

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Welcome to SM Haley & Teddy!
I agree with Snuggles Mom....Be patient it will most likely go away when Teddy is done teething. I also remember the heartbreaking feeling when friends and family would look at Abella and say "what is wrong with her eyes".... Abella being my first maltese I too tried so many many products/potions recommended - none helped cure her staining. Her tear staining ended up clearing after she was done teething all on its own. I might add that it is important too keep Teddys face as dry as possible and keep his eyes cleaned of "gunk". Be Patient - This too will pass!
Im looking forward too seeing many more pictures of Teddy as he grows up with us here on SM - He is adorable!
🐶 🐾🌻

1 - 3 of 3 Posts