Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. We own a wonderful 12-year old maltese and want to give her a younger sister or brother. We arranged to buy a 12-week old male pup from a breeder. But during our first visit, we noticed excessive tear stains. We understand tear staining is common in the maltese breed, is usually cosmetic, and can be addressed with regular cleaning, filtered water, high quality food, etc. But what we don't know is whether the DEGREE of staining is something we should be concerned about. I'm attaching photos. Appreciate any feedback on whether this degree of tear staining at 12 weeks should concern us or dissuade us from making the purchase. Thanks in advance!
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Bottle Companion dog

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Toy dog

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,067 Posts
Welcome to SM--- that is really not significant staining for a pup who still has baby teeth. On the other hand this pup looks older than 12 wks. Are you purchasing from a AMA reputable breeder?

·
Super Moderator
10,362 Posts
Adorable pup but I agree with Sandi. That dog looks older than 3 months. At any case, that is not an unreasonable amount of staining for a dog that still has baby teeth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all. We own a wonderful 12-year old maltese and want to give her a younger sister or brother. We arranged to buy a 12-week old male pup from a breeder. But during our first visit, we noticed excessive tear stains. We understand tear staining is common in the maltese breed, is usually cosmetic, and can be addressed with regular cleaning, filtered water, high quality food, etc. But what we don't know is whether the DEGREE of staining is something we should be concerned about. I'm attaching photos. Appreciate any feedback on whether this degree of tear staining at 12 weeks should concern us or dissuade us from making the purchase. Thanks in advance! View attachment 275862
View attachment 275861
When we got ours, the breeder told us to add a little buttermilk pancake mix to her food. I did that for several months, and her staining is minimal if anything. I also give her pet post tear stain chews once a week or if I see stains. You can comb it also. You just have to be on top of it. Out girl is clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts