Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called a veterinarian clinic in the county over from mine that does procedures that our local vets won’t do. I called to see if they would flush out Jeep’s right tear duct. They said I could bring him in for an exam but they would need to refer me to an ophthalmologist veterinarian in Nashville. That’s two hours away. I’m going to continue to try other options first. I found an article on here with a blog from a veterinarian about tear staining. “A Veterinary Guide to Tear Stains.” He suggested liquid Vitamin C or contact cleaner as a topical cleaner. Has anyone tried these before? If so, which one? What is your opinion? I read reviews on several products that goes through the digestive system. Some are powder, chews (NaturVet) and liquids (Animal Essentials Seasonal Allergies.) already suggested. And Eye Envy which is a topical 3 step process and a little pricey. Any thoughts on these products?

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Mare, Liquid vitamin C as topical doesn't seem right as its very dk golden yellow? I use Bausch & Lomb Advanced Eye Relief on Abella (available at drug stores). I put a couple drops in each eye daily and clean out the gunk and then comb & dry the area around eye. When I was researching tear staining and reading all articles I could find this was one of the things recommended. It works for Abella (along with Spring water and keeping her face dry/clean. But I also read that there are many many different causes and types of tear staining. Thinking answers are different for different dogs. Can be frustrating.

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
I mentioned on another thread you made that I use Bausch & Lomb eye relief. It has a bit of boric acid in it, which helps with bacteria.
Also, it wouldn't hurt to get an exam. It might not be related to blocked ducts.
When I brought Suki to the ophthalmologist, her ducts weren't clogged at all, though she flushed them since it's quick and easy and doesn't hurt to do them.
Orginally, my vet said her inner lid was rolled in and that her eyelashes were growing inwards, neither was true per the ophthalmologist. If I had listened to my vet, she would have eye surgery that wasn't needed.
So, if it were me, I would do the exam and see what they find, otherwise, if your like me, you'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure out the "why's".

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I mentioned on another thread you made that I use Bausch & Lomb eye relief. It has a bit of boric acid in it, which helps with bacteria.
Also, it wouldn't hurt to get an exam. It might not be related to blocked ducts.
When I brought Suki to the ophthalmologist, her ducts weren't clogged at all, though she flushed them since it's quick and easy and doesn't hurt to do them.
Orginally, my vet said her inner lid was rolled in and that her eyelashes were growing inwards, neither was true per the ophthalmologist. If I had listened to my vet, she would have eye surgery that wasn't needed.
So, if it were me, I would do the exam and see what they find, otherwise, if your like me, you'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure out the "why's".
Mare - Thats exactly what I have been using on Abella too!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I also use this same Bausch & Lomb eye relief product but I don't put it directly into Baby's eyes. Instead I use it to clean around the outside of them a few times per day. I was told by a vet that Baby has 'dry eye' they said probably as a result of his current liver issues. The vet said to put something in them called 'Genteal tears' liquid drops from the super market or drug store 3 times per day. The genteal tears are dropped directly in the eye. I put in one drop in each eye, have Baby close his eye after ward and wipe off the excess. The Genteal Tears only lubricate the eye tissue and have nothing to do with eliminating staining, which Baby doesn't have any more.

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
I also use this same Bausch & Lomb eye relief product but I don't put it directly into Baby's eyes. Instead I use it to clean around the outside of them a few times per day. I was told by a vet that Baby has 'dry eye' they said probably as a result of his current liver issues. The vet said to put something in them called 'Genteal tears' liquid drops from the super market or drug store 3 times per day. The genteal tears are dropped directly in the eye. I put in one drop in each eye, have Baby close his eye after ward and wipe off the excess. The Genteal Tears only lubricate the eye tissue and have nothing to do with eliminating staining, which Baby doesn't have any more.
I should make myself more clear 😜 I only use this around the eyes and not inside.
Thx sandy😘

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I should make myself more clear 😜 I only use this around the eyes and not inside.
Thx sandy😘
Hi Joanne!
I wasn't trying to correct you, just saying what I use it for. The eye wash includes an 'eye cup' so I assume it must be ok to use in the eye as well. I just prefer to use it as a gentle cleaner around the eye & in the corners of his eyes and not in them. I use the product Genteal Tears instead inside Baby's eyes:blink: for his dry eye problem.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you to whoever found the thread with the picture of the Bausch and Lomb Eye Relief. :aktion033: This time I took a screen shot of the bottle. Lol The drainage from Jeep’s eye is so much better now. But I’m still going to follow through with the 2nd eye exam with a different vet at a different clinic with or without having it flushed. Hoping to get an answer as to wether the duct is truly clogged or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts