Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I’ve seen many forums of tear stains, but cherry is 7-8 months old & his tear stains get progressively worse. I am trying to change his food, so he’s on rabbit. It’s been maybe a week since we’ve changed his food. I’ve attached pictures. I clean his face 2 times a day, with show no rinse, then show powder. & I’m growing out his hair between his eyes. I’m not sure what is causing it. But it’s very bad

Attachments

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
I don't trim the hair underneath the eyes. As it grows out between trimming it pokes the eye and causes irritation. I clean the eyes every morning with a fine tooth comb and a moist towel. Following this routine I have had no issues POST teething. [I gave a course of Tylan after the teething was finished]. If possible train Cherry to let you brush his teeth. Oral issues down the road could contribute to tear stains.
BTW He is a cutie pie!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do brush his teeth often, but as you can see i think his tear stains Are probably the worst I’ve ever seen on this forum. I don’t know if it’s because he came from another country or what exactly is going on 😭

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
I am not familiar with the food or grooming products you are using. Maybe another SM member can chime in or you can consult with your vet. I never used product around the eyes and I mostly fed a home cooked diet.

·
Premium Member
17,196 Posts
My little Lisi had bad tear stains when I got her at 5 months---really bad but w/time they cleared up. She is pretty allergic & once in a while they get a bit worse, but not like when she was teething. You may need to have the tear-ducts flushed. I would take Cherry to an animal ophthalmologist who may put him on a short period of antibiotics or flush the ducts. You need to find the source---not just treat superficially. Be sure to have your vet check the ears as well as that can be related. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You may want to try the probiotic Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets FortiFlora Probiotic Gastrointestinal Support Dog Supplement. I’ve been battling with tear stains and I started using this new probiotic about 3 months ago and I already see improvement. I’ve attached a couple of pictures one is before I started using the probiotic and the other is after. My boy is 15 months old.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts