Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 yrs old Maltese Benji had tear stains as a pup. After flushing hiss nasolacrimal ducts and changing his dry feed to Rotal Canin Maltese feed the tear stains had completely disappeared. This August we had put him in a boarding for 2 weeks as we went on vacation.
we were shocked to see very bad tear stains. It’s 1 mth since we took him back. The stains are not going. Even the area around his mouth is staining.
Can someone tell me why this coul have happened?
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Working animal

Attachments

· Premium Member
2,423 Posts
Oh, what a difference. 🙁 Did they feed him something else while he was boarding? I wonder if an allergy was set off either by a change in food or something in the environment.

Or has he had a dental issue?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, what a difference. 🙁 Did they feed him something else while he was boarding? I wonder if an allergy was set off either by a change in food or something in the environment.

Or has he had a dental issue?
I had given them his usual feed- Royal Canin maltese dry kibbles. I dont know if they fed something else also. No dental issues . Should I give antihistaminics for allergy?

· Premium Member
2,423 Posts
I am sure that one place I boarded my dogs fed them something different, because their poops were a very different color. I suspected they may have even put other dogs in the same space with them

I won't recommend any drugs to you, because some dogs react differently to them. And it may be difficult to figure out the correct dose. One of my dogs acted intoxicated on a dose that was prescribed for a dog half her size!

Maybe have the stained fur trimmed off, wash or rinse those areas and dry them well on a regular basis.

If that does not help, then check with your vet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts