Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jack is a little over a year old. When we got him at 3 months, he didn't have tear stains. Within a wek he developed moderate stains under eyes and on his beard. Well after trying and reading everything, I changed his bowl to stainless and now give him only distilled water. The beard stains are gone but not the eyes. I figured oh well, I love him anyway. Now we have little Jill. She is three months. She comes from a line that gets eye crusties but no stains. I have seen grandma, mother, uncle, sister (from a previous litter, same parents) within a week she started getting tear stains. Hers are pretty bad. I am still using the stainless bowl an distilled water and the same food that she got from birth. In fact, I switched Jack to the new brand. What is the deal here? I can't figure out why dogs coming into my house develop stains. Any Ideas? I am losing my mind.

·
Registered
608 Posts
By distilled water do you mean store bought bottled water or tap water run thru a filter? I found with Tunder who had bad stains from the well water that just our filter thing wasn't enough. I called the culligan man and have water delivered for him to drink I think I may heat it for bathing as well. It has been a week and I am seeing a huge improvement.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I buy polar water in a jug that says distilled. They also have drinking and spring water too. But I buy the distilled. It really helped his beard stains so I know that part is working.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree. We have the filtered water at the sink (Osmosis) or something like that and our dog had the staining so I bought distilled from the grocery store & it is pretty much gone now.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by Harleysmom@Apr 12 2005, 12:42 PM
I agree. We have the filtered water at the sink (Osmosis) or something like that and our dog had the staining so I bought distilled from the grocery store & it is pretty much gone now.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51863
[/QUOTE]

Ok this is totally osmosis were you sleep on your book to study or did I make that up? This is probably going to be another one of those times like when I thought gout was a sexually transmitted disease from the 1800's ( you should have seen my face when a coworker was complaining about his gout acting up)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
At that age, could this be because of teething? Having those teeth coming in can cause the eyes to tear more. Phoebe's staining got worse shortly after I got her too. And I have her on distilled water, and stainless bowls and I rinse under her eyes with distilled water too. Also, if she has hair that is now starting to get into her eyes, it could cause more tearing. I've been told to cut it but I regret doing that so I am letting some grow back out now hoping that it will eventually lay down. But it is already a dark red

I think the best thing for now is to do your best to keep it clean and dry until the teething is over. I am so jealous of those who dont have any staining. To you lucky folks, did you have any staining during teething?

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina+Apr 12 2005, 01:56 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Harleysmom
@Apr 12 2005, 12:42 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51863

Ok this is totally osmosis were you sleep on your book to study or did I make that up? This is probably going to be another one of those times like when I thought gout was a sexually transmitted disease from the 1800's ( you should have seen my face when a coworker was complaining about his gout acting up)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51869
[/B][/QUOTE]

One way the water companies filter water is a process called reverse osmosis. Distilled water is completely pure with no minerals in it at all.

Catcher had no tear stains at all when I got him but developed them over time. I figure it is from teething.. He only gets distilled water, etc.....

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Osmosis was my preferred method of study when I was in college, especially on Thursday nights.

Can anyone explain the differences between spring, filtered spring, and distilled water?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I am no expert but I have had this conversation with my chiropractor health nut
He says the best way to "filter" water is reverse osmosis filters. Distilled water (which I believe is evaporated so that all the crud stays behind) is the purest ,therefore would be the best (for drinking and cooking). Spring water would be right out of the ground with all the minerals and stuff that your body cannot use in that form anyway (useless), I would imagine. You should get your minerals out of your food (vegetables) so it is not necessary to have them in your drinking water. I was also told this by my breeder who asked her vet because of the concern that distilled water would not have minerals.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by maltsmom+Apr 12 2005, 03:50 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-littlepeanut
@Apr 12 2005, 01:19 PM
Do you smoke?  The smoke can irritate their eyes and make them tear more.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51882
No we both quit about 15 years ago!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51946
[/B][/QUOTE]
That's GREAT!!!!!
Good for you!!!!
I was just suggesting that smoke could be the cause because poor Peanut gets all teary when I smoke in the house...I know, I know, time to quit!!!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut+Apr 12 2005, 03:38 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2005, 03:50 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-littlepeanut
@Apr 12 2005, 01:19 PM
Do you smoke?  The smoke can irritate their eyes and make them tear more.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51882

No we both quit about 15 years ago!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51946

[/QUOTE]
That's GREAT!!!!!
Good for you!!!!
I was just suggesting that smoke could be the cause because poor Peanut gets all teary when I smoke in the house...I know, I know, time to quit!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51961
[/B][/QUOTE]

15 years that is awesome!!
Please say it gets better as the years go on
It has been just over a year for me and I hate it
Its still hard. Peanuts mom if you decide to take the plunge it is possible. I never thought I could do it- if I can ANYONE can!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Do you use powders on the carpet? Do you have plants in the house? Does your vacuum have a filter?

What are you feeding them? If it different from the breeder? Do you live in a different area of the country (allergens)?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley's staining improved greatly (didn't go away) when I quit using carpet fresheners and plug-ins as much...maybe a coincidence, but I haven't gone back to them.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 12 2005, 09:26 PM
Do you use powders on the carpet? Do you have plants in the house? Does your vacuum have a filter?

What are you feeding them? If it different from the breeder? Do you live in a different area of the country (allergens)?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52111
[/QUOTE]
Jackie,what does plants in the house have to do with it??I understand about the others,but I have alot of plants in the house.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am going to try and answer everyone at once. No, I do not use powders on the rug or plug ins, yes I am feeding her what the breeder did (none of her own dogs have stains), no I only live about 10 minutes away from her, no I do not have house plants (I kill them), and yes it does get easier with time. Hang in there. My husband chewed gum for years to help him. I quit when I got pregnant and never touched them again. It took a long time not to crave one after dinner. But when that goes away, you feel and smell so much better. Now I can't even stand to be in the same room with cigarette smoke. I had to quit bingo.

I hope eveyone understands my goofy replies.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182+Apr 12 2005, 10:31 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Apr 12 2005, 09:26 PM

Jackie,what does plants in the house have to do with it??I understand about the others,but I have alot of plants in the house.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52124
[/B][/QUOTE]

It is a possible allergen.

I can't have flowering plants in my house as they bother my allergies.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by JMM+Apr 13 2005, 02:27 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2005, 10:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Apr 12 2005, 09:26 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52124

[/QUOTE]

It is a possible allergen.

I can't have flowering plants in my house as they bother my allergies.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52288
[/B][/QUOTE]
Thank You,I dont have any that flower.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina@Apr 12 2005, 12:34 PM
By distilled water do you mean store bought bottled water or tap water run thru a filter?  I found with Tunder who had bad stains from the well water that just our filter thing wasn't enough.  I called the culligan man and have water delivered for him to drink I think I may heat it for bathing as well.  It has been a week and I am seeing a huge improvement.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51855
[/QUOTE]

I get water from Culligan delivered too... do you get the distilled or the spring type?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts