Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Obi has always had tear stains, but i have been able to, up until now, wash them away, or cut them out. Suddenly he is getting bright red stains like he's never had before. He is almost 6 months old. How can i get rid of them???? I heard that this mixture works well: 1/4 cup of peroxide, corn starch, and milk of magnesia. but im a little worried about accidently getting it in his eyes. Is this the best thing to use or does anyone know of something better or safer? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I almost forgot, if you use tear clean stain remover 3 times a day for a week, does it actually work, like it says on the container?

·
Registered
274 Posts
He is probably starting to teeth, so I would guess that's why the stains are getting worse.. They might go away once he is done teething, but they don't always. I've never tried that mixture, so I don't know the results. Whatever you use, you have to be consistent and stay on top of it. If you stop for even a few days they will start to return, at least that's my experience.
Jess

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Indy started to tear stain a lot around that age, because of his teething. He had his baby teeth removed when he was neutered at 8 months and it got so much better. I think it is common when they teeth. If you see him scratching his ears a lot, it could also be an ear infection or if his ears have an oder, then you would want your vet to check him out just to be sure.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He has been teething for 2 months already and he hasn't had it like this ever. i think he only has 3 teeth left maybe a little more. I think i might order that angel stuff i cant remember the name right now.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks teaco,
i checked and i dont think he has either. He is getting neutered in 2 weeks so hopefully it will improve after that, but i am hoping this angel stuff i bought wll help, i hope i didn't waste my money!

~Danielle

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have never tried that but I did try that Eye Invy and it was a waist of money. I never bought anything again after that. I just kind of figured they had a reason for tearing and trying to buy the products to take the tearing away would only last for awhile till the problem was taking care that was causing them to tear really bad. I also think allot could do with the weathcer as well. But I am not for certian though.
I hope he does fine with his neutering. My cat went today to get declawed and neutered had to stay the night so we are missing the big ole cat he weighs 10 lbs and is only 8 months old .

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
We really haven't had a lot of problems with Caesar and tear staining. It could be because he is teething, I have hear that increases tear stains. I had heard you can mix Hydrogen Peroxide with some water and use a Q-tip to dab on the red areas. Also is he eating anything with red dye? That can also cause it I think. I imagine its due to teething, if you haven't had much of a problem before.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Obi hasn't been eating anything different from what he usually eats, so i dont think its food dye. I am just scared to use the peroxide, but im getting desparate because halloween is comming up and i want obi to look his best in his new superman jogger from http://barkindogclothes.com/ its just the cutest thing ever!! I guess i will try the peroxide formula and hopefully he doesn't move, il just get him really tired out so hes practically sleeping while im doing it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i just washed off the first application and it deffinetly worked, but it didn't help the areas the are just pretty much skin with fuzz growing back. i put on another application and hopefully that helps those areas. if not once they grow out alittle it will work better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.