Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This hasnt happened in a long time but kodie is starting this again...
When he tears and his face seems alittle wet... he will go to scratch at it. Well this morning Kodie scratched where the tears run by his eye and made it BLEED! :eek: He used to do this all the time when he was young.. but now its happening again. Does anyone else's baby scratch at their face and sometimes make it bleed??

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yup, Sis was doing the same thing for a bit. She just would NOT leave her face alone!! She finally got a trip to the Vet and she had a little yeast infection in the area right under her eyes. It is forever wet there from her tears. She put her on an antibiotic ointment (boy that was a joy to get in her eyes) and within a few days it started to clear up. She still tears, but at this point I make sure to wash her face at least 2X a day and dry it real well. She has stopped scratching now. Poor Kodie

·
Registered
313 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@May 6 2005, 11:59 AM
This hasnt happened in a long time but kodie is starting this again...
When he tears and his face seems alittle wet... he will go to scratch at it.  Well this morning Kodie scratched where the tears run by his eye and made it BLEED! :eek:  He used to do this all the time when he was young.. but now its happening again.  Does anyone else's baby scratch at their face and sometimes make it bleed??

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60496
[/QUOTE]

your kodie is so precious!!

l.e. itches at her face all the time when she tears. but she doesn't make it bleed. she mostly just rolls her face on the rug and paws at her eyes. i try to keep her face dry, but when i don't notice it, she gets irratated.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
They can definately get yeast or bacterial infections there from it being constantly wet. I would take him to the vet to rule that out. Jonathan doesn't have tear ducts so he just drops his tears on his face. To prevent infections I keep the very corners of his eyes clipped and clean and dry it with cotton balls daily.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The funny thing is... he only scratched at his face the one day! He hasnt done it since..
I dunno what his problem was...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Summer 2 has been iching her face agian I',m finding little scabs under her neck and behind her ears She seems to b tearing alot in the last 2 of days??
Trying hard to keep her face clean but it just looks worse to me OH I just had a thought I've been letting her hair stay down could that be it ( hair poking in her eyes)

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
This happened a lot with my first Maltese, Rosebud, and when I took her to the vet it was either a yeast or staph infection. The vet showed me where it was sort of a brown-ish color... I didn't know that the brown-ish is not good and was, I believe Staph.

Kallie had a teeny bit of it as a young puppy and the vet said let's see if her immune system will get rid of it on its own and it did but I would definitely have your vet take a look. The main thing is that she is scratching and neither Kallie or Rosebud was doing that... that means she is uncomfortable due to the itching... I would get some relief for her...

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Theresa@May 11 2005, 08:39 AM
Summer 2 has been iching her face agian I',m finding little scabs under her neck and behind her ears She seems to b tearing alot  in the last 2 of days??
Trying hard to keep her face clean but it just looks worse to me  OH I just had a thought I've been letting her hair stay down could that be it ( hair poking in her eyes)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61549
[/QUOTE]

She needs to go to the vet. She may have a skin infection or hot spot developing with all of those scabbies.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kodie did have that too when he was younger.. scabs. He was given this medicine to put on the area for alittle bit and it worked wonderfully!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Thanks I will get her to the vet. asap I feel so bad
And yes her tear stains are a brownish color. there's no smell ( she's not chewing her feet she use to do that aot) And the inching doesn't wake her up she's sleeping right now and she sleeps all night but as soon as she 's up she'll scratch .. thanks again will let you know if its an yeast or staph infection (
I hope not ) I try to keep her face clean with the wipes but I'm going to start drying it better
i didn't even think about it being wet most of the time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts