Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ButterCloud use to have horrible tearstaining when he was younger, but after his teething stage, it totally stopped. Noriko had little to no staining at all. I'm almost sure it was something we fed them and now the stains are back. It totally sucks! And Noriko never had it this bad in her whole life! No more human food until this clears up!

Just wondering if this happend to anyone? If so, how long did it take to clear up?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'm not sure where you live, but here in the Southeast the leaves and pines needles are falling which can cause allergies. Lady has seasonal allergies, due a lot to the fact that she is so low to the ground. All the dust, pollen, etc. is just thrown up in their little faces when they walk. She has a terrible time in the Spring with the pine pollen and oak trees.

Have you checked Cloud's ears? And ear infection can cause tear staining, too.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Nov 8 2004, 01:20 PM
ButterCloud use to have horrible tearstaining when he was younger, but after his teething stage, it totally stopped.  Noriko had little to no staining at all.  I'm almost sure it was something we fed them and now the stains are back.  It totally sucks!  And Noriko never had it this bad in her whole life!  No more human food until this clears up!

Just wondering if this happend to anyone?  If so, how long did it take to clear up?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15391
[/QUOTE]

It may be the Tennessee air...Brinkley's have been AWFUL the last week or so! This morning I tried the Desitin...trying to keep it dry or whatever...
I am sure with all the rain that we have had, and the leaves falling, the corn/cotton harvests etc. that there is plenty to make their eyes water!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AWWW Man! I hope they're staining because of something I fed them and not because of the weather. That'll suck if it's because of something I can't control.

Ladysmom--hey! No ear infection. I smell Cloud's ears pretty frequently. Both Cloud and Noriko started the tear staining at the same time.

Cloud had been tearing prior to this recent staining problem. His was tearing light and it was clear. Noriko tends to be wet between her eyes, I think, because of allergies. They started staining at the same time. Freaking boogers have so many issues! lol. I love them though
WHY!?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
If it is allergies, and it sounds like it is since Noriko and Cloud both started staining at the same time, you can give them children's Benedryl. Of course, you'll need to check with your vet first and find out dosage.

Hopefully, it's just temporary. Lady never had any tear staining before, but her allergies have gotten worse in the past year and she now has a little tearing. Not bad at all, but I was always spoiled by her perfectly white face. She gets human Zyrtec for her allergies since she can't take any of the allergy medicines that causes drowsiness because she gets medications for seizures. I also find that cleaning her eye area daily with a damp cotton ball with a drop or 2 of Absolutely Natural shampoo really helps, too.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Nov 8 2004, 02:43 PM
If it is allergies, and it sounds like it is since Noriko and Cloud both started staining at the same time, you can give them children's Benedryl. Of course, you'll need to check with your vet first and find out dosage.

Hopefully, it's just temporary. Lady never had any tear staining before, but her allergies have gotten worse in the past year and she now has a little tearing. Not bad at all, but I was always spoiled by her perfectly white face. She gets human Zyrtec for her allergies since she can't take any of the allergy medicines that causes drowsiness because she gets medications for seizures. I also find that cleaning her eye area daily with a damp cotton ball with a drop or 2 of Absolutely Natural shampoo really helps, too.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15412
[/QUOTE]

How big is Lady is she long also she looks like maxis size

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not going to give them any allergy medicine until I'm totally sure it's NOT from something they ate that caused the tearstaining. I may eventually have to give some to Noriko since tearing (w/o staining) is common for her. We'll see.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DMZ dogs--3rd eye lid? Can you take a picture of him and show us? I can't imagine. I've heard many reasons why dogs have tear staining but never heard this!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
its not a good idea to remove the third eye lid...if it prolapses (pops out) it should be tacked back down. there is a gland in the third eyelid that supplies 50% of the tears, and if it is removed the dog can develop KCS which is dry eye, then the dog needs expensive eye meds when the eyes get too dry.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Nov 9 2004, 07:06 AM
This may be way off, but do u keep the little hairs around her eyes trimmed.  IF they arent maybe they are poking her lil eyes some and making the tears come?  Just an idea.  Your babys are SOOOOO cute

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15509
[/QUOTE]

Hey Caesar's mom-I trim the hair around their eyes either after every bath or every other bath. That just became a habit for me. Even when they were tearing, it was clear. Now, it's staining.

Thanks for the compliment. Hugs and kisses from them to you

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Boy, do I feel stupid! I never heard of a third eyelid and wouldn't know it if I saw it.......

But about the tearstainig. My groomer uses Bausch & Lomb allergy eye drops on her Chihuahuas and said her friend who breeds Maltese recommended them. Pico's eyes will tear a little from time to time but not enough to warrant the eye drops. If I saw him having allergies for any length of time, I believe I would try that becasue I know how uncomfortable my eyes feel when I have allergies.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Nov 9 2004, 07:51 PM
But about the tearstainig.  My groomer uses Bausch & Lomb allergy eye drops on her Chihuahuas and said her friend who breeds Maltese recommended them.  Pico's eyes will tear a little from time to time but not enough to warrant the eye drops.  If I saw him having allergies for any length of time, I believe I would try that becasue I know how uncomfortable my eyes feel when I have allergies.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15645
[/QUOTE]

Wow, I feel sorta bad now
. I never thought it might bother her. I'll call my vet tomorrow. Thanks Pico's parents!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko+Nov 9 2004, 11:03 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Pico's Parent
@Nov 9 2004, 07:51 PM
But about the tearstainig.  My groomer uses Bausch & Lomb allergy eye drops on her Chihuahuas and said her friend who breeds Maltese recommended them.  Pico's eyes will tear a little from time to time but not enough to warrant the eye drops.  If I saw him having allergies for any length of time, I believe I would try that becasue I know how uncomfortable my eyes feel when I have allergies.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15645

Wow, I feel sorta bad now
. I never thought it might bother her. I'll call my vet tomorrow. Thanks Pico's parents!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15674
[/B][/QUOTE]

Brinkley HATES the eye drops!!! I tried that Collyrium stuff...it was SUCH a fight to get them in...that I gave it up!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts