1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
im not familiar with either..but i checked the web sites out. the antibiotic in the angels' glow is tylosin. it is an antibiotic used in dogs whom have bacterial overgrowth problems in their GI tract. might cause diarrhea..even though it is used to prevent it. but i dont know how much of the product is in it.

as far as the other product, is there one for dogs or just cats?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Mar 1 2005, 08:40 PM
im not familiar with either..but i checked the web sites out.  the antibiotic in the angels' glow is tylosin.  it is an antibiotic used in dogs whom have bacterial overgrowth problems in their GI tract.  might cause diarrhea..even though it is used to prevent it.  but i dont know how much of the product is in it.

as far as the other product, is there one for dogs or just cats?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39089
[/QUOTE]
As far as I know the one advertised is for cats. But I imagine it could be used on either since the problem is the same. Is tylosin the same as tylan, the antibiotic alot of breeders use? I really don't want to give an antibiotic for a cosmetic problem, especially if it may cause problems like diarrhea.
Quincymom

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yes tylan is the same thing..yeah i dont know about giving it either.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I personally would not use an antibiotic long-term for a cosmetic reason. You need to address the cause of the staining. I have never found any of these products to be effective. I would see a veterinary ophthalmologist first and then if there is no cause other than facial structure, a 7-14 day single course of Tylan or Tetracycline may be tried.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I think I figured out how to use the dimond eye. I mentiond before that it did not work at all. Well the othere day when cleaning chelseys face I decided to give it an other try. I damped the paper towel with the dimond eye product and wiped the area. Then I took a dry paper towel and wiped the same location. Wow it actually removed it . Now it looks very faint . Now I can say it work a fair bit.
I wish i had before and after pictures but this was not planed.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The only thing I have used that really works on tearstains is the Milk of Magnesia+Hydrogen Peroxide+Corn Starch formula. However, this dried out and damaged Sylphide's facial hair, so I stopped using it. I figure, why put her through that? I don't show, or breed, so a little color on her face doesn't hurt anything.

I tried a bunch of commercial formulas--none of them work. The best thing that works for me is simply washing her face daily with a gentle shampoo and warm water on a facecloth, and clipping any really bad tearstains. She really doesn't stain that much as she gets older. I avoid feeding her foods with dyes--that definitely makes tearstaining worse.

I wouldn't use any formula with an antibiotic as a base. That will weaken her immune system, and what would you do if she caught an infection and really
needed antibiotics? Their effect diminishes with use.

Shrek's mom has a perfect, white face---not a drop of a stain. Her breeder has bred tearstaining out of the line. So far, Shrek only has a teeny touch of color near his eyes. I'm keeping my fingers crosses in hopes that he has inherited his mom's non staining gene... :D

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I've been using Eye Envy and have had really great luck. Chloe's tearstaining wasn't too severe but bad enough. I had only tried one other product from the local PetsMart and it didn't do anything. The Eye Envy is great as long as you use the liquid and the powder - I doubt either would be effective without the other.

I wouldn't use any type of antibiotic without the vets input though.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by CandicePK@Mar 6 2005, 01:27 PM
I've been using Eye Envy and have had really great luck.  Chloe's tearstaining wasn't too severe but bad enough.  I had only tried one other product from the local PetsMart and it didn't do anything.  The Eye Envy is great as long as you use the liquid and the powder - I doubt either would be effective without the other.

I wouldn't use any type of antibiotic without the vets input though.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40469
[/QUOTE]

Doesn't Eye Envy have antibiotic of some type in it?
I thought it did...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The website does say that it has an herbal flower extract and an antibacterial. I suppose by antibacterial they could mean some type of antibiotic. I asked my vet about it and showed her the literature and she approved it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts