Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is up with that? :wacko:
Looking at him straight in the face, his left eye always tears and stains worse than the right.
You can really tell now that the stains are lessening...I know that is weird, but the right eye area is almost all white, and the left is still pretty stained. When I clean them, I always work more on the left, and the right hardly ever needs anything, so this is not a new problem. What is causing this? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I noticed this on Massimo, and when I looked really close, I found a small hair sticking in his eye. It took a long time to spot it, but when I pulled it out his tearing lessened. Hopefully it's something as simple as that.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I also got brave and trimmed the hair in the inner corner of Zoey's eyes and she looks so much better.

And after so many people recommended Collyrium, I have been calling all around for it and we don't have it in Orange County, CA. So what would be the equivalent?

I am so glad I found this site. Brand names!! Exciting...

·
Registered
447 Posts
I looked for it at Kroger while I was doing a "Secret Shopping" audit. The pharmacist was RUDE as heck and didn't even bother to help me find it. I looked but I didn't see it. Needless to say, she got scored badly!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried the drops...he hates getting them so much, and I saw so little difference, that I gave up. The fight was just not worth it... <_<

·
Registered
939 Posts
Traci,

Check his ears. Often it Tiki is tear on one side more than the other his ears will need cleaning/hair clipping or removal. Also as Carrie said it could be hair or something else irritating his eye.

Judi

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would have never thought about the ear hair thing. Hmm. Thanks for the tip. Will check it out tonight. I did trim around his eyes to make sure nothing was poking in there.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Sep 4 2004, 10:15 AM
a2z--

Have your tried Wal-Mart or Target?  I would just go there and look for it.  I found it at Wal-Mart.  I asked the pharmacist lady to help me and 1.) she never heard of it and 2.) I found it before she did. 

Here is a link to what the box looks like--that should help you find it quicker on the shelf.  At Wal-Mart it was almost "hidden" on the shelf.  :ph34r:  Apparently it's not too popular of a product. 
Collyrium
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8309
[/QUOTE]

I called Wal-Mart, Target and Walgreens. No luck. I will go by Wal-Mart and check for myself, just to make sure. Thanks,
Ann (A2Z)

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found it at Walmart too, but was difficult. It is all on the same aisle as the contact wash stuff, but in a different section of the shelf. Look around in the eye drops section where visine and stuff is...but it is in a bigger box...it is just an eye wash...

Since none of us use contact stuff-the only thing I have ever bought off that aisle is visine allergy drops. So it took me a while to sort through the products and find the Collyrium.

I have tried a "new" method...and maybe it is all just coincidence and has nothing to do with it...but so far, his eyes look much better!
I was thinking (which can be dangerous....
) that maybe I was adding to the moisture problem by cleaning/peroxide/diamond eyes morning and night...and I did not blow dry it all dry. SO....the last few days I have been doing the diamond eyes and peroxide at night on alternate days...and then doing the cornstarch in the mornings...I do use the flea comb and get out any morning "gookies"...but I don't use anything wet...I just comb it out and use a small make-up brush to brush in the cornstarch. SO FAR...his eyes have looked the best they have since the tearstaining started.

BUT, I also did away with his Science Diet wet food this past week...and he could have broken through some teeth that were causing teething pain. Who knows what the magic trick was, but for now, I am going to stick with the "wet cleaning stuff" only at night, and cornstarch in the mornings. See if that works. Maybe his face fur won't be so dry either. All the treatments really do dry the face fur out...or they have on him anyway. -_-

Isn't it silly that I obsess over it so much...but the white face is SO cute. You really notice the expression in their eyes so much more!

Plus, when the tearstains are bad, I feel like other people think I am not taking care of him or something. Probably my own paranoia...but I still fear it.

J

·
0 Posts
Lacey has been tearing really bad this week. I looked in her mouth and it looks like back teeth coming in. When do they stop teething? Lace is getting "fixed" this Thursday and any baby teeth will be taken out so I am hoping that helps. I did trim the hair around her eyes and she looks much better. I do hope when the teething stops the tearstaining stops. I don't like the look and I too feel like people are judging me - not keeping her clean. I did have her trimmed before the surgery. She doesn't look like a maltese at all. Can't wait for it to grow out. She seems to love the shorter haircut...not as long to brush/comb her at night. Her hair is so short!! About 1/2 inch long. She looks like a little rat LOL. For you that can't find the eye wash...can you order it online from Target, Walmart? I will go looking for it this week in Ohio and see if I can find. I wear contacts so I am hoping I know were to look, but just in case I printed out a picture what the box looks like.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have been washing Abby's eyes just with warm water on a cotton pad morning and night, and using an Australian product called "aristopet professional groomer tear stain remover". It really seems to be doing the job. It cost me approximately AU$10 for the bottle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts