Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tearstains
I have purchased about 5 products for staining problems and nothing works (only fades it a little). Puddles does not have a big problem with it, but what he does have worries me to death. I wash and clean his face daily.

While Puddles was being neutered I had the eye staining done to make sure the tear ducts were open. All was good, but the vet did see some hairs touching the eye and growing over the eye lid. She didn't mess with them, said she never pulled any out and was scared to. Wish she had tried, since he was a sleep....

I think I remember on here where someone was going to take or had taken their baby to the eye doctor for this reason (hair toughing the eye, causing watering).

Any experience with this? Bet its very costly and wonder if its worth it.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
parker had some hair growing in the inside corners of his eyes...my vet burned them off...he still has a few, but there are no where near as many. and he has no more stains. i dont know if he just stopped staining or if this worked.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
This is either distichiasis or trichiasis depending on where the hairs are. It can be symptomatic (causing irritation) or just soft hairs that don't cause a problem. You should see an ophthalmologist. If they are symptomatic, they can be removed with a brief surgery. Sometimes, it may take a few surgeries (2 or 3), but generally it is not a big deal and that may not be the case.

Mikey had this condition. We removed them and he does not stain at all nor have a wet face.

This is genetic in Maltese. You should tell your breeder.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley has the hairs that grow out of the corner of his eyes too. I truly believe this contributes to most of his tearing and staining. The vet pulled some when he was neutered (and did not charge me for it), but they only grew back...so I never really noticed much difference. Only recently have I discovered that if I keep these trimmed myself, that his tearing and staining is much less. The bad part about it is that it is VERY difficult to keep him still enough and keep my hand steady enough to trim them short enough to make a difference. In order to keep them short enough to see this difference, I have to keep them trimmed every two-three days.
They grow quickly.
Although I would LOVE to completely do away with the tearing/staining all together, I don't think I would put him under for such a cosmetic reason myself. If he ever has to go under fo r teeth cleaning or anything else, I may speak to my vet about the procedure that LadyM had done with Parker.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Jan 13 2005, 08:24 PM
Brinkley has the hairs that grow out of the corner of his eyes too. I truly believe this contributes to most of his tearing and staining. The vet pulled some when he was neutered (and did not charge me for it), but they only grew back...so I never really noticed much difference.  Only recently have I discovered that if I keep these trimmed myself, that his tearing and staining is much less. The bad part about it is that it is VERY difficult to keep him still enough and keep my hand steady enough to trim them short enough to make a difference. In order to keep them short enough to see this difference, I have to keep them trimmed every two-three days.
They grow quickly.
Although I would LOVE to completely do away with the tearing/staining all together, I don't think I would put him under for such a cosmetic reason myself.  If he ever has to go under fo r teeth cleaning or anything else, I may speak to my vet about the procedure that LadyM had done with Parker.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29623
[/QUOTE]

Maya is getting spayed next week, what could I mention to my vet to have the hairs burned off? I have a feeling that this is causing her staining since the red areas tend to stem from the corners of her eyes. I asked him about cleaning the ducts and he said that probably wouldnt help as they got clogged again, but is their a specific name for burning the hairs?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If your dog has distichiasis, removing the hairs is not cosmetic. They can cause constant irritation and even ulcers to the eyes (only the symptomatic lashes).

There are a couple of ways they can be removed. They can be cut out with a scalpal, lasered or burned away with cautery, or frozen. If your dog has a lot or you are concerned there may be multiple surgeries. I would go with cutting them. Mikey had the laser done twice and it creates scar tissue that made the later surgery more difficult. He was also very very comfortable after the plain old scalpal removal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts