Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I need to schedule an appointment for Maya to have her teeth cleaned and I will be calling the vet to find out about their procedure but I would like to hear from any of you and your experiences at the vet’s office.

My concern is the anesthesia
because Maya is only 7lb. what would be the anesthesia amount for a dog that small. Are the vets supposed to put them completely out? Or just enough so they can do their job?
And what about their tools they use. I remember reading that their tools should be up to date (of course, I don’t remember where I read it)but is that important?
And who performs the cleaning. Should I ask if the stuff is certified to do cleanings?

Now, what blood work is standard to perform and at that time should I have the vet do a liver ck or any major test.

Thank you in advance for any info…I just want to make sure I cover everything when I call the vet.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Originally posted by ilove_d&m@Feb 1 2005, 11:30 AM
Hi everyone,

I need to schedule an appointment for Maya to have her teeth cleaned and I will be calling the vet to find out about their procedure but I would like to hear from any of you and your experiences at the vet’s office.

My concern is the anesthesia 
because Maya is only 7lb. what would be the anesthesia amount for a dog that small. Are the vets supposed to put them completely out? Or just enough so they can do their job?
And what about their tools they use. I remember reading that their tools should be up to date (of course, I don’t remember where I read it)but is that important?
And who performs the cleaning. Should I ask if the stuff is certified to do cleanings?

Now, what blood work is standard to perform and at that time should I have the vet do a liver ck or any major test.

Thank you in advance for any info…I just want to make sure I cover everything when I call the vet. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32767
[/QUOTE]

By all means have the blood work done before your little one has her teeth cleaned. I recently scheduled Belle for spaying and teeth pulling; did the blood test and found that she has a liver shunt problem. I would have never known if I
hadn't had the blood work done (which by the way was optional). Now I can take Belle to the U. C. Davis Vet Hospital and have her examined in more depth and take care of any congenital or other health issues she has. Belle appears to be perfectly happy and healthy and showed no signs that there was any health issues.
You won't be sorry. If all is well and I pray it is you will have great peace of mind and should there be anything that needs to be dealt with you will have caught it at a young age. Good Luck!!! ~ Jackie & Belle

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
def. have the blood work done (cbc and chem panel) this tells the doc if they can handle the anesthesia. some vets have the dogs completely out and some are just under a light sedation. if ur vet puts them completely out, make sure they use gas anesthesia (isoflurane) it is the safest. the tools used to clean the teeth is an ultrasonic scalers and a polisher. if they dont have an ultrasonic unit, then they are wayyy out of date. ask them if they have them hooked up to monitors while they are under. this is good b/c it monitors their heart, blood pressure, temp, respiration rate, pulse, etc. it lets the doc know if there is anything going on (too light/too deep etc.) hope this helps!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
My Bichon had her teeth cleaned last month. She had a lighter anesthesia than Sadie and Sassy had for their spay surgery. I had blood work done on all 3.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yes to the Isoflurane and yes to the pre-dental blood work. Like Belle, we found problems with Pico through the bloodwork that turned out to be MVD.....Pico goes in for his second cleaning (he's almost 4) in 2 weeks and I wait while they do the cleaning because he is awake and alert and ready to go home as soon as they stop the isoflurane gas. His beard is always wet so they must use the ultrasonic. I never asked about that but I plan to this time.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the replies. Very helpfull information. I will be calling my vet today with a lot of questions :D

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Bloodwork:
CBC and chemistry panel (including liver and kidney values)

Anesthesia:
Most of the time they are completely under anesthesia. You should be sure your vet will either gas your dog down with isoflurance or induce only with propofol and then iso for maintenance. The isoflurane gas can be controlled very well and is one of the safest anesthetic. Propofol is a very safe drug and they only give enough to be able to put a tube down their throat to deliver the gas.

The ultrasonic scaler is what most vets use. They will scrape larger chunks of tartar off by hand. They will finish by polishing the teeth and a flouride treatment. You will have a wet-faced dog after. If any teeth need to be pulled, they may have to put dissolvable sutures in depending on where it is.

Make sure your vet uses monitoring equipment.

Most vets will shave a front leg and put an IV catheter in for easy access to a vein and to give them fluids during the procedure.

Most vets provide supplemental heat during the procedure.

Your dog should also go home with about a week's worth of antibiotics unless her teeth were really not bad at all. Removing the tartar will irritate the gums some and we don't want infection!

Your vet can guide you as to whether or not your dog may need soft food after depending on whether or not she has extractions.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Thanks for posting this question ilove_d&m!!! I was about to post the same question for Peanut's dental coming up later this month. I hope everything goes well for Maya!!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called the vet's office and they got a an ok to everything that was recomended here, the tools, the monitor, the isoflurane etc..

Maya will have her appt in March.

Thanks, everyone :D

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I'll bet they were impressed with the depth of your questions! It's nice to start out with their respect right off the bat, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I guess Alex's teeth were never bad because I never had to give him antibiotics after a cleaning. He has a cleaning at least every 2 years if not less. But he will be 8 in May and has all his teeths. When they do the cleaning he has a IV catheter w/fluids (they never shave his leg) water heating pad, respiratory/ecg monitor. They use sevoflurane as anesthetic at my vet clinic. And of course I have always the bloodwork done.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My boys are scheduled for dental work on Monday-Quincy's first dental cleaning, and Jonas having his baby teeth pulled. Both have undergone anesthesia with pre surgical blood work in the past, Quincy a year ago, Jonas in December with his neuter. Do they still need the pre-surgical blood work, or just Quincy?
Quincymom

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Quincymom@Feb 2 2005, 05:06 PM
My boys are scheduled for dental work on Monday-Quincy's first dental cleaning, and Jonas having his baby teeth pulled. Both have undergone anesthesia with pre surgical blood work in the past, Quincy a year ago, Jonas in December with his neuter. Do they still need the pre-surgical blood work, or just Quincy?
Quincymom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33013
[/QUOTE]

If Jonas is a really young dog they may not repeat his. Quincy should definately have bloodwork done again. We require it within a month of the procedure for a healthy dog. It is a good idea to do bloodwork annually anyways just to keep an eye on those internal organs and any trends that might be normal for your dog.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

Maya had her teeth cleaned last monday. she did very well.

one thing for sure her breath is not stinky anymore :lol: now we can kiss for ever and even grandma lets her give kisses

Now,i'm brushing everyday at least once a day for sure.

and her blood panel/test all came good. vet said she is in good health!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
so glad to hear all went well. im sure shes happy about the extra kisses

1 - 15 of 15 Posts