Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my teeth extracted. It feels horrible. My mouth is numb, and I sound retarded. It hurt too, and I don't have my wisdoms yet.
But the procedure wasn't bad.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'm normal now!
Oh yes, I didn't mention it, but I'm getting braces soon. My teeth are really crooked.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Hope you feel better soon. You are fortunate that your parents can provide braces for you. You'll be so happy when your teeth are straight and beautiful.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
here's some advice i gave my sis when she got her braces:

first...if you can get the clear plastic...thats great cuz it doesnt cut up your mouth. BUT...if you get all metal (like i did)....GET THE WAX. and if they put "spacers" on your back teeth...chew wax or french fries right away. it feels a little uncomfortable at first....but trust me...i wish i had done it.

ask them how you use the wax....i had to wait a few days till i saw some friends and complained and one of them gave me a box of wax. LOL. and she showed me how to use it.

oh...and get the special toothbrush...or just buy one of those brushes that look like a tiny bottle brush to brush between your teeth. my cousin (who's seriously gross and dirty) didnt brush his teeth well....and his gums grew OVER HIS BRACES. he had to get surgery. very nasty stuff.

and watch how you swallow...make sure you dont swallow so that your tongue pushes against your teeth. cuz if you get in the habit of that...then after braces....your tongue will SLOWLY start pushing your teeth so that you get more of an over bite.

AND...make sure that you dont slurp or anything. its weird...like people who get braces will start to accumulate more saliva because they have something new in their mouth...and they start slurping. its a bad habit.

LASTLY!!! WEAR YOUR RETAINER. i really messed up and only wore my retainer for around 4 months....now my teeth look a little crooked.
i plan to get braces AGAIN!!!

GOOD LUCK!!! and listen to your orthodontist.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Ok so now my advice. LOL...I started working towards my braces when I was in the third grade. I got them on in the seventh grade. LOL

I had wierd teeth. Your baby teeth roots will desolve and then they will get loose. The root desolving is what inables to to get loose. Well my roots did not desolve. So I had every single baby tooth pulled plus I had to much overcrowding they had to pull four permant teeth. So I feel your pain on having teeth pulled.

If you have to wear rubber bands on your braces. WEAR them and wear them consistantly. It will really pay off in the end. My ortho gave me a time line when I got mine on to when I would get them off. I got them off five months early because I wore the bands well. He said He allowed the 5 months cause no one usually wears them that well and it sets them back.

The more you follow the don't eat certian foods the better off you are. Each breakage puts the date you get them off back.

My ortho told me something I had never heard and I always try to pass it down it helps soooo much.
He told me to do this the day I got them off and everytime I went to get them tightened.

Take two motrin or tylanol about 30 mins before the appointment and as soon as you leave go to McDonalds/Burger king or such and get a small hamburger and eat it slow. It will loosen the tightness in your jaws and make you feel better. I never had a bit of trouble with them hurting me every month. My best friend got hers from another ortho and the day after was always in pain so when I got mine i was so scared. But never had much pain. So I told her about the burger and she tried it and could not believe how much diffence it made.

I took my youngest son to the dentist last week and they want to put spacers in his mouth within the next year and a half to two years. YIKES. He is my baby. That makes me feel like he is growning up to fast.

Good luck it is not near as bad as some people like you to think.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by Tyler's Sis@Aug 26 2005, 07:20 PM
I just got my teeth extracted. It feels horrible. My mouth is numb, and I sound retarded. It hurt too, and I don't have my wisdoms yet.
But the procedure wasn't bad.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94333
[/QUOTE]

i'm so sorry. i know how you feel - over my 14 years, i've had 19 (!!) teeth extracted.

but um, please don't use the word 'retarded'. with your friends, ok. but you're on the internet and you don't know who you'll offend. one of my good friends has a mentally handicapped brother, and it bothers me to hear people make comments like that

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice!
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Aug 26 2005, 09:22 PM
here's some advice i gave my sis when she got her braces:

first...if you can get  the clear plastic...thats great cuz it doesnt cut up your mouth.  BUT...if you get all metal (like i did)....GET THE WAX.  and if they put "spacers" on your back teeth...chew wax or french fries right away.  it feels a little uncomfortable at first....but trust me...i wish i had done it. 

ask them how you use the wax....i had to wait a few days till i saw some friends and complained and one of them gave me a box of wax.  LOL.  and she showed me how to use it. 

oh...and get the special toothbrush...or just buy one of those brushes that look like a tiny bottle brush to brush between your teeth.  my cousin (who's seriously gross and dirty) didnt brush his teeth well....and his gums grew OVER HIS BRACES.  he had to get surgery.  very nasty stuff.

and watch how you swallow...make sure you dont swallow so that your tongue pushes against your teeth.  cuz if you get in the habit of that...then after braces....your tongue will SLOWLY start pushing your teeth so that you get more of an over bite.

AND...make sure that you dont slurp or anything.  its weird...like people who get braces will start to accumulate more saliva because they have something new in their mouth...and they start slurping.  its a bad habit. 

LASTLY!!!  WEAR YOUR RETAINER.  i really messed up and only wore my retainer for around 4 months....now my teeth look a little crooked. 
  i plan to get braces AGAIN!!! 

GOOD LUCK!!! and listen to your orthodontist. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94373
[/QUOTE]
Does the wax taste like anything? How would you chew it?

And how do you wear a retainer while your braces are on?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I think you ca get different flavor wax, like mint and stuff. Also, you usually wear a retainer after your braces are off.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I never had to have braces but my younger brother did. He NEVER wore his rubber bands and ended up having them on for like 5-6 years.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah, i got my retainer after my braces. i actually got braces because i have TMJ (my jaw used to pop and it would hurt so bad that i'd cry)....so my teeth after braces didnt look that much different. they shifted my back teeth a lot, moved my bottom teeth a little bit....but after not wearing my retainer---my teeth shifted...so they're a little crooked.

and the wax, to chew it, just bite down and dont swallow. and to use it...you're supposed to make small balls and put it over the brackets. and its so true...if you follow the dentists advice, you get your braces off sooner. i got mine off 6 months early.

and YES, holly hobbie gave great advice...about the motrin. and the whole burger thing is what i'm talking about---you need to chew...so it doesnt hurt.

things to avoid: bagels (i broke a bracket), now and laters, rolos, gum, jolly rancers, anything chewy, sticky, or too hard. LOL.

puppylucy: that sucks about your friends brother. but i sooo know how tylers sis feels, i keep wanting to say stuff on here---and barely catch myself. LOL. even at school or work, i keep saying "thats retarded" or "thats so gay". stuff like that. not that i hate gay people or mentally handicapped people.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, sorry puppylucy. It's really hard to catch yourself. Especially when you feel really weird and can't move your mouth.

But thanks again for all the advice!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts