Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so Bella had many teeth pulled and was missing some (so I could see) but they are starting to grow in. Also the vet said he just pulled the loose ones and left the baby teeth that were not loose so they could fall out on their own.

Tonight Bella was chewing on something and I got her to drop it and it appears to be a tooth. It is really long so maybe it is one of her back teeth (long lenght wise--it covered a lot of gum, not long wise like it stuck out of her mouth). How long will she keep up this loosing teeth stuff. It is driving me mad! She is chewing bones again which she hasn't in several months but she isn't eating normally.

Any advise from older dogs??? By the way, Bella turned 6 months on Dec. 23.

Nicolle

·
Registered
489 Posts
If they're not all out by the time she's around eight months I would get whatever baby teeth she has left pulled. I usually wait that long before I do it so they will only have to go through it once. If the dog is being spayed or neutered at 6mo My vet just pulls them all out then.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Dec 31 2004, 07:34 AM
I read on the internet that dogs can lose teeth up to 8 months of age.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26518
[/QUOTE]
Tuffy lost almost the bulk the of his teeth right around that age. He still has 3 retained puppy teeth, but the vet said he doesn't want to pull them until Tuffy has to be put under for something else.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Originally posted by Mystify79+Dec 31 2004, 10:53 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Dec 31 2004, 07:34 AM
Tuffy lost almost the bulk the of his teeth right around that age. He still has 3 retained puppy teeth, but the vet said he doesn't want to pull them until Tuffy has to be put under for something else.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26541
[/B][/QUOTE]

Does Tuffy get things stuck in between the baby teeth and the others? That was the problem I had with Hedwig. I was hoping when I pulled whatever was in there out that a tooth would come with it but it didn't happen...LOL

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Mystify79+Dec 31 2004, 10:53 AM-->
[/B][/QUOTE]

Do you mean that he has both baby and adult teeth in the same area? On the bottom "eye" teeth on both sides, Catcher has two teeth in the same area... one in front of the other... is this what you are referring to?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by adorableaccentsdogbows.com+Dec 31 2004, 10:01 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 31 2004, 10:53 AM

[/QUOTE]

Does Tuffy get things stuck in between the baby teeth and the others? That was the problem I had with Hedwig. I was hoping when I pulled whatever was in there out that a tooth would come with it but it didn't happen...LOL
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26549
[/B][/QUOTE]
He really doesn't have a problem with things getting stuck in there. That was main concern but I think since they are all in the front of his mouth and he really chews with the back teeth more he doesn't have a problem. I also brush his teeth pretty regularly so I'm able to keep an eye out for anything that might be amiss in his mouth. My vet did say that he wants to check those teeth every 6 months just to make sure they aren't giving him any trouble or doing stuff they shouldn't. I do wish those teeth would just pop out all of the sudden, but boy are they stubborn little things!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Dec 31 2004, 11:06 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 31 2004, 10:53 AM

[/QUOTE]

Do you mean that he has both baby and adult teeth in the same area? On the bottom "eye" teeth on both sides, Catcher has two teeth in the same area... one in front of the other... is this what you are referring to?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26551
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, that's what I meant. She had a ton of teeth in that front area.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Here's a picture of two of Tuffy's retained teeth, he's got one set on the bottom and one on the top. He's got the 3rd one in the same place in the same top area on the other side of his mouth.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Dec 31 2004, 10:29 AM
Has your vet looked at this?  I would think leaving the teeth in would mess up his teeth and his bite.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26561
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, he said it's fine right now, no bite problems yet but that eventually they will need to be pulled... but he didn't see a reason to put him under for just that right now. But we are keeping on eye on them to make sure they don't cause any problems.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Massimo had the same problem at 8 months, so I made an apt. at the vet. He said that Maltese could lose teeth up to 10 months....I was worried it was causing him pain, he wasn't eating normally, and he spent his days chewing the edible nylabone. Well, at 10 months the last of his retained baby teeth finally fell out. The vet said if they didn't he would pull them because they would cause pain because the rest of his adult teeth would keep growing and put pressure on his teeth and jaw casusing painful crowding. I also noticed his tear staining had lightened up a LOT after his baby teeth fell out. I also noticed it was a lot less painful for ME to play with him after they fell out (his baby teeth were SHARP!!)

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Mystify79@Dec 31 2004, 11:26 AM
Here's a picture of two of Tuffy's retained teeth, he's got one set on the bottom and one on the top.  He's got the 3rd one in the same place in the same top area on the other side of his mouth.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26560
[/QUOTE]

Yes, the bottom teeth look just like Catcher's!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Originally posted by Carrie@Dec 31 2004, 11:44 AM
Massimo had the same problem at 8 months, so I made an apt. at the vet.  He said that Maltese could lose teeth up to 10 months....I was worried it was causing him pain, he wasn't eating normally, and he spent his days chewing the edible nylabone.  Well, at 10 months the last of his retained baby teeth finally fell out.  The vet said if they didn't he would pull them because they would cause pain because the rest of his adult teeth would keep growing and put pressure on his teeth and jaw casusing painful crowding.  I also noticed his tear staining had lightened up a LOT after his baby teeth fell out.  I also noticed it was a lot less painful for ME to play with him after they fell out (his baby teeth were SHARP!!) 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26567
[/QUOTE]

I noticed a big change as far as the tear staining as well

·
Registered
939 Posts
that picture looks exactly like chicos mouth and when he yawns yo can hear the teeth grind together
I started another thread about the same thing not seeing this one
.As of a few days ago his baby eye teeth became loose ,but havent fallen out yet.he also has 2 front reatained baby teeth too. they are also loose Chico will be 9 months on the 6th.see how we worry about these babies ,they arent dogs they are kids with fur!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts