Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Morgan lost all of his but one. When I took him in to get him neuterd, the doctor pulled it while he was under.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Same here. When Tiki was neutered he had some remaining baby teeth removed. Later he had to have another removed that they had missed.

If you aren't having Ceaser neutered you will want the have the vet take a look as tooth problems are common in Maltese. The sooner you have it taken care of the easier it is on the pup and the better his teeth will look.

Judi

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fay lost all her teeth by the time she was 5 1/2 months. When I noticed she was starting to lose her baby teeth, I gave her lots of hard chewing toys (chewing bones) to play with and after just one month she had lost them all.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't think Maltese commonly have overbites. I've never heard of it being any more common than any other breed. Casper is eating hard things on his very back teeth now because a lot of his front/side teeth are really loose or already fallen out.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good news, Caesar pulled one of his canines out that had the new one behind it chewing on a new bone we got him. He still hasnt lost his top canines but they are loose. Now his other bottom canine with the adult tooth behind it is just barely loose, better than before! I just dont wanna have to have our lil' guy get his teeth pulled...ouch.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Chewing and playing some gentle tug of war can help those teeth come out. We did this with Tiki and it worked for most; though we did still have to have some remvoed.

Judi

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Ok, I know I may sound REALLY dumb...but how do you know if they have lost their teeth or not? And when do they start losing them...when should you be concerned and ask the vet? What if you are not planning to get them neutered yet...do you just go in for a tooth check up? How do you get them to hold still to look at their teeth...let alone wiggle thme to check for loose teeth?
Confused about the teeth issue. The vet didn't say anything when I took him in at 4 months when I got him. He looked at them though.
I would think Brinkley works out any loose ones on his edible nylabone things. He chews on them constantly and hard...hmmm. But I don't know WHEN this is supposed to happen? He is 20 weeks old...born 3/12...

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
baby teeth are tiny and sharp. their adult teeth are a litttle bigger. i noticed sprite was losing teeth when i found blood on her toys. and sprite lost all her teeth. ellie had to get 2 removed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts